The online racing simulator
#1 - lerts
i found out the maya measured precession a million times better than nasa
if nasa was to calculate when the winter equinox is in 25000 years they would make a mistake of 50 years due to equinox precession accelerating and decelerating

the long count maya calendar that started 5000 years agon ends on a winter solstice the most important ancient festivity and the real reason we celebrate christsmas or whatever

if we make a mistake of 50 years in 25000 in 5000 years the same antelation of maya prediction we would make a mistake of 10 years yet the maya were exact
how'd you find this out? not being rude. honestly want to know.
The Mayan's do seem to have understood a few things about astronomy that we've never rediscovered.

Whilst they where ahead of us in this (probably owing to innacuracies in trigonometry with incalculable decimal places?) we did steal all their gold, establish rule and taxation in their lands, and burn down their cities.

So they can be as smug as they like about it .
NASA gave us ants in a box:

WHERE ARE YOUR MAYAN GODS NOW!? :>
They gave us...

Quote from lerts :if nasa was to calculate when the winter equinox is in 25000 years they would make a mistake of 50 years due to equinox precession accelerating and decelerating

the long count maya calendar that started 5000 years agon ends on a winter solstice the most important ancient festivity and the real reason we celebrate christsmas or whatever

if we make a mistake of 50 years in 25000 in 5000 years the same antelation of maya prediction we would make a mistake of 10 years yet the maya were exact

You're going to die anyway.
Quote from lerts :if nasa was to calculate when the winter equinox is in 25000 years they would make a mistake of 50 years due to equinox precession accelerating and decelerating

What a bunch of morons an Nasa! Any prediction of the winter solstice has an error of at most half a year...
(FYI: the equinox is not in winter, but in spring and autumn.)

Seriously, I think I can guess what kind of calculation you refer to. Quite possibly this date has an intrinsic randomness, according to current astronomical knowledge. Random means that, by its very nature, it can not be calculated precisely. So, if I assume that the astronomers are right -- like you do yourself -- anyone who makes an estimate that turns out to be very close has merely been lucky. By definition.

Another experiment: ask 100 people in your home town to predict the local temperature exactly 1 year from now. Meteorologists will tell you that any estimate will have an error of at least 5 degrees. Now, if you collect the guesses from these 100 people, I'm sure that next year you will find that your town has a couple of meteorological geniuses!
I do wonder why people post interesting stuff like this without providing the source of their information

It's not because I don't believe it (I do, some ancient civilisations were pretty bloody clever and it wouldn't surprise me if they could out-nerd NASA) but because I'd like to find out more ... I mean, imagine if Einstein burst into his local cafe and shouted "energy equals mass multiplied by the speed of light squared" and didn't explain it. People would think he was just trying to attract attention ...
Quote from Becky Rose : we did steal all their gold, establish rule and taxation in their lands, and burn down their cities.

So they can be as smug as they like about it .

u stole the gold??!?! are u sure that ur country was the one?

This man stole the gold.
I thought it was the Spaniards who stole the gold.
Yeah, it was the Spaniards all right. The British Empire stole everyone else's stuff later though - well, whatever the Vatican couldn't get anyway ...
#13 - CSU1
Quote from Hankstar :Yeah, it was the Spaniards all right. The British Empire stole everyone else's stuff later though - well, whatever the Vatican couldn't get anyway ...

abit like tristan stealing kevs chocolates from the race track:detective
"Stealing kev's chocolates from the race track" eh? Is that some kind of euphemism for a "private act" that can't be shared on an all-ages forum?
Well, after seeing the mutilated nuts that Kev sent me in a PM, I'm sure that tristan left some long-term emotional and physical scarring on our Kevness.
#16 - CSU1
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, after seeing the mutilated nuts that Kev sent me in a PM, I'm sure that tristan left some long-term emotional and physical scarring on our Kevness.

LMAO! YOU ARE ALL DAMNED SPAMMERS GOTO HELL!!!
Says the person who's been here 2 years less than myself and has an extra 450 posts?
#18 - CSU1
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Says the person who's been here 2 years less than myself and has an extra 450 posts?

Damn right so read it

\/\/.
I got my bags packed, I'll talk to you guys when I reach Hell, Michigan.

:hide:
everybody knows the end of maya calendar is in winter solstice in 2012 so what ill prove is that if we were to calculate winter solstice in 5000 years wed make an unsolvable 10 year mistake:

"Usually in literature one finds the duration of the procession given as 26000 years, being a rounding of the supposedly more accurate value of 25800 years. In reality the exact duration cannot be given, as the speed of the general precession is a value changing over time. This speed is currently 50.3 arcseconds per year which would mean 25765 years for one cycle to complete, but speeds of 50.25 arcseconds and 50.34 arcseconds, which would lead to the same rounded value of 50.3 arcseconds would result in 25791 and 25744 years, respectively. As such the rounded value of 25800 is understandable

from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_year

i would say that like the knowledge the earth was rounded was lost during medievo incredible ancient science must have been lost as well

what if atlantis was true and we were facing the same destiny
Quote from Hankstar :The British Empire stole everyone else's stuff later though ...

Shut up and build me a plantation house.

And where's that Canadian with my crab sandwich? This empire is going to the dogs I tell you!
Quote from lerts :what if atlantis was true and we were facing the same destiny

Then the killer whales will take over and rule the world.

But not to worry. Nostradamus, Piri Reis and Hermes Trismegistus will come to the rescue in the flying Great Pyramid, ship us all to Andromeda and we will live in eternal bliss with the Vulcans and the Thetans. (Or something like that. I tend to forget the details. Maybe the Hopi were involved too, and the Templars. Oh, and some onions and catsup.)
Mark this date on your calendar: December 21st, 2012!
I'm waiting for that date... Seems to far rigth now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG