The online racing simulator
Nurburgring trip May 2007
(28 posts, started )
Well, we did it, almost 1200 miles in 3 days, and what a weekend it was

All bikes performed faultlessly, with no hiccups for the whole 1200 miles, even though we had 110 miles stints at upwards of 110mph, only casualty was my knees after about 300 miles, man did they start to hurt.

Highlights I guess were, the E42 from Verviers to the ring, glorious sunshine, awesome sweeping roads, across the German border onto the A1 and our bit of unrestricted Autobahn, cue 155mph "race" all with panniers and luggage attached, what a blast

The Nurburgring in itself is a place you just can't describe with words, the atmosphere is electric, the track itself is a mixure of euphoric riding and shit-your-pants danger, one of our group nearly got sideswiped by a Honda Intergra, Henry took an excursion over the grass at Adenua Forst, Tom very, VERY nearly hit the armco at ex-muhle, I thankfully had no scares, its WELL worth learning the layout on a computer game LOL.

I had 7 laps in all, first lap was a VERY humbling experiance, think you are a good rider?, do your first lap on the Nurburgring and think again, we did our first lap on Saturday evening, then headed off to get some food and be ready for Sunday.

Sunday morning, I got up early, it was pissing it down, I headed out to the track while the rest were still in bed (lazy buggers) and managed to get a lap in before the heavens opened again, 11 mins 17, which I thought was ok considering how slippy it was.

The rest of the fellas arrived, so we went out again, now, you think the ring is scary on a bike in the dry?, try it in TORRENTIAL rain when a ratty old Ferrari 308 has emptied its sump of oil all over Tiergarten, not fun, rest of the lap was spent slip sliding around, lots of arse out moments, but thankfully not spills.

By now is was raining quite badly, so we headed off to the GP circuit and the Nurburging museam which was a pretty good way to kill a few wet hours.

By the afternoon the sun had come out and had dried to track off, so out we went for the rest of the afternoon to get more laps in, once you are over the intial shock and awe of the track, you start to get into the flow of it, and believe me, it is probably one of the most awesome experiances you can have on a bike.

Sunday night, and we went into Adenau to a chinese resturant, which was very nice, had a right laugh.

Monday morning came, and it was pissing it down again, this stayed with us till well into Belguim, highlight was wringing my soaked wet socks out in a Belgien service station toilet, what fun

It was then dry from there to England, where it bucketed it down all the way home, a lot of it spent at 90mph, had to filter through 8 miles of traffic jam on the M20 which was nice..........

All in all an AWESOME weekend, really, REALLY enjoyed it, anyone thinking about doing it? DO IT, it is WELL worth it, already thinking about the next trip

Some observations.

In nearly 800 miles of european roads we didn't see ONE speed camera
Again, hardly any traffic police
Perfect roads, and good drivers
Germany is a lovely place, so clean and friendly

Good points of the trip

155mph on the Autobahn
6 dry laps of the ring, and beating 10 min lap time
1 wet lap, which was certainly a challenge
my hotel
spending the weekend with 4 other great guys

Bad points

None really, but the weather could have been a bit more favourable on the return journey.
it must have been great, well done!
Tristan is now officially jealous.
Some piccies, not many on the actual ring itself, because it's quite trickey to carry a camera around the ring on your bike LOL

Webcam pics my missus took from home 8-)

On the eurotunnel

Stop on the A1 Autobahn in the baking sun

Perfect tourer

View from my balcony, bloody funny weather in the Eiffel mountains

Some VERY fast Porsche's

Danger, Danger (of course we read it all msl: )

A VERY wet GP Circuit & Museum

Various cars and stuff in the museam

Henry finalling finding a bike if can handle msl:

am i having dejavu or have i seen a similar thread? anywho, great pictures!
It's just deja vu

(or me cross posting the hell outta my story and pics LOL)
Must have been a great expirience. Well done Dan and some nice pics
#8 - Vain
Nice trip.
I was at the Nurburgring on that saturday until 3 am . There was a race on the track that day that my brother and I watched. Actually we wanted to stay a little bit longer to do some laps after the race but went early.

About the atmosphere around the ring: I always wonder how kids in Adenau or in any other of those towns grow up - they wouldn't believe you if you told them that 911 GTR RS are *not* every-day cars. If you watch the traffic around the ring you'll think the 911s are for free somewhere around there.

Vain
And another

Nice pic's dan,any scary moment's
Just one, on a wet , oil covered tiergarten
Nice report Dan and some nice pictures.

Glad you liked it over here.
My brother went in May 2007, do you remember him? he was drifting around in a black S14, theres a few vids of him on youtube, he was well happy lol. tell me if you saw him
There were thousands of people there, but I never saw any S15's, or any drifting at all for that matter (thank god)
S14!!! a black one, there are like 8 videos of it on Youtube lol. I guess no one drifts there these days
That's REALLY narrowed it down...

Care to post the videos of him drifting - I could do with a giggle...
why dont you like driftting?
Heh how far does he go off the road when he's trying?

Nice pics Danowat, looks and sounds like it was a lot fun
Aw, little baby drifts. They are cute. I was expecting some amazing drifts at big angles, not diddly little things my MX-5 could manage.
lol shush!
That's not a drift, that's a mistake.

Drifting should be banned at the 'Ring. It is at most (if not all) track days in this country. It's too dangerous on an open track like that.
Nice stuff Dan, and better you made it back in one piece.
Awesome stuff Dan! I wish I was able to come along. The next time you guys head out that way I will come with. With my time spent in the states I bought a Wilwood brake kit and a couple other goodies for my car for handling so I will be ready to rock the next time yo guys head out!

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG