The online racing simulator
FPS drop - 70 to 6fps
(33 posts, started )
FPS drop - 70 to 6fps
So,

I read a couple of topics about this in this forum but i cant seem to find the answer.
When im hotlaping offline my fps is around 80 or so, and thats is pretty good if you aks me, but somethimes when im racing online, my fps falls from 70 to 6fps, 10..12.. and that usually ends up in a pille up and ppl cussing me all over. The thing is, sometimes that happen when im alone in a straigh as it will happen in a tight curve with 10 cars at the same time.

My pc is a 3.2 HT PIV, 1gb ram, 128 mb Radeon 9600 mobile [i have a HP notebook] and when im playin lfs i shut off everything else, msn, anti-virus...

Any clue abou that? did the developers ever mentioned something about this?

Thanks you all,

C.B.
Is it a random drop, or does it drop every time you see something particular.

There is one spot on Aston after the long straight and long turn, right before the turn after that there is a section that always has an FPS hit on my computer (and a few other people's computers).

A few tests I will recommend though to test what all it could be.
1. Is your FPS high when you are offline while running a few (not a lot) AIs.
2. Join an empty online server, and does FPS drop then?

If 1 causes an FPS drop it could just be that your laptop can't handle the computations (I have heard many bad things about processors with HT). If 2 still causes FPS problems, but not 1, then it could be something that I don't know what is wrong.
#3 - garph
Quote from cbalbinot :....when im racing online, my fps falls from 70 to 6fps, 10..12..

In traffic that sounds about right with that you have, unfortunately, more stuff on screen lower FPS.

Quote from cbalbinot :The thing is, sometimes that happen when im alone in a straigh as it will happen in a tight curve with 10 cars at the same time.

That is something different, when you're alone your FPS should rise and then fall again when you’re surrounded by cars.

Try what XCNuse said, go on an empty server and see what your FPS does, is it random or at a particular point?
As soon as i get home i'll try that.
But, is my notebook THAT bad? i though it was decente...
#5 - garph
Quote from cbalbinot :As soon as i get home i'll try that.
But, is my notebook THAT bad? i though it was decente...

FPS wise....eeerrr, yes it is that bad, sorry.
It might be, keep in mind it is a notebook so it will get hot, and when temperatures increase only a few degrees there is a significant drop in performance.

If the fans do turn on, I would make sure the rear of the notebook is raised up some to get some better airflow, and if worse comes to worse, I would suggest buying a cooling plate for them, I believe Antec has the best solution I have seen, since it has a plate, and then fans beneath the plate, whereas most plates just have the fans and the plates and no room for air to go, unless one of the fans matches up perfectly.

It may be not so great garph, but that doesn't really explain why there is such a significant drop, unless he went on to a server full of 20 or so people.
why if mine only 30fps aswell?
i run Laptop 258MB graphics ATI Radeon thing AMD Turion64 X2 1.6Ghz....and 896MB externam ram, and shared 258 on Graphics....is this right? or please tell me a way to give LFS full priority to the Laptop thanks
Well, it has always done a great job... i even player Half Life 2 with no problems at all...

I'll work on that, but from what i remember i could play with the full grid of ai's with no problems..i can be wrong...

More info regarding that issue will be posted in a couple hours
Must you always hijack threads harjun?

Anyways, okay if HL2 works then something strange must be up, just report back when you're home to test stuff out.
Your CPU and vga should handle match better fps than that. So you shouldn’t have constantly so low fps unless you have loaded the game with smoke and/or reflection and/or lots of texture mods?

If there is a random moment that the fps drop really low during racing then you have to check again what processes are running at the background, using task manager.
ITS ALWAYSS been lie...30-40, maybe very rarely 70, and my cousin have one, but Intel, same rAM, also...i use Vista btw
I get the same problem with my laptop, except my FPS drops from 90'ish to < 20.
It happens 'sometimes' on FE Black on the right hander that joins FE Green and FE Gold near the end of the lap. It doen't happen every lap but when i does i lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds.
#13 - J.B.
Use a tool like speedfan to monitor your CPU temp. Intel CPU's reduce their clock speed when a certain temperature is reached.
But i have AMD
#15 - wien
Quote from XCNuse :It may be not so great garph, but that doesn't really explain why there is such a significant drop, unless he went on to a server full of 20 or so people.

Yep. He should get a very playable FPS with that setup.

The first thing you should do is make sure you always play with the computer plugged in. That way it won't have to slow the fans down to save power. Cleaning out any dust buildup inside it is also a good idea. Everything XCNuse said is also worth trying.

Inside LFS you can look at the LOD settings in the graphics tab. Try lowering them a bit and see if that helps. The dynamic LOD reduction and multiplayer draw distance in the misc tab can also help out a great deal. These are especially effective for low framerate on the start grid (when a lot of cars are around you) for example.

Try that and post back.
#16 - J.B.
Quote from harjun :But i have AMD

I think AMD CPU's just freeze the system when they get too hot so temps probably aren't your problem.
The more I think about it the more I'd listen everyone else my girlfriends laptop shuts loads of things down or to half power when it's on battery so it could be a few things that are costing you some FPS.

And harjun, your random statements don't make any sense. If this guys sort his problem it might help you so sit quietly and see what happens.
just got home.. and guess what?

11 Ai + me
during regular race, 65fps... pretty neat..
When we got really close 55 fps..

Massive pile up, 37 fps...

Never whent under 37....

GO FIGURE!!!!

oh, and msn and anti-virus where on..
#19 - Jakg
Quote from J.B. :I think AMD CPU's just freeze the system when they get too hot so temps probably aren't your problem.

the mobo cuts the power i think - i've had my CPU hit 100° without the clockspeed changing one iota
Several things to mentioned when you gaming on notebook.

1) If you run on batteries the notebooks clocks down CPU and GPU so the batteris are not drained a lot.
2) Shutdown every powersaving futures.The one who has P4 ,disable the HT in BIOS as well.
3) I have checked how LFS use procesor and sometimes it goes realy to low ususage so it might happend that CPU clockdown a bit and it might cause FPS issue drop.

P.S:Harjun...you becoming a troll on this forum.Please stop hijacking the threads.
If you have a problem create your own thread but please stop disturbing other people.I am always here to help but its becoming very annyoing from your side.You should get warning from moderator.Try to think a bit about what you doing.
Devil,

I dunno if it is because my notebook is a HP but the bios seems pretty basic. I cant find an option to disable the HT, could you help with that?
I have a laptop and use it for gamming every now and then. There are three things that could be doing it. First of all, if you laptop is not plugged in, a common default in the power conservation programs, is to have them cut back the power to the cpu, and throttle its speed, slow down the GPU, and everything else. If You laptop gets too hot, it will throttle the cpu, and then shut off, but i doubt thats the case. And finally, if your battery is running below a certain percentage (maybe 30%), It will slow itself down. The best thing to do, is uninstall all the garbage power conservation programs, as they all suck. For that matter, a fresh install of windows would probably be nice, to get rid of all of the oem programs HP had to force feed you because there is no way the programs would get on a computer any other way. Had my laptop about 30 seconds before i was deleteing stuff. Second day, i had a formatted hard drive. You would be suprised how much all the crappy programs slow down a computer. Vista is a monster, if that is what you have. I wouldnt want to run it with anything less then 2 gigs of ram, as it will use about 500mb of memory without having any applications open. Sounds to me like its a battery/program cutting back cpu power after so long issue.
I have a clean laptop, meaning i dont have any programs on it that i dont need. All the software installed is reputable and i never have anything else turned on while i play LFS.
I doubt it's a battery problem (at least in my case) as i always have it plugged in when i play LFS.
As someone mentioned above maybe it's just a RAM overload or something because it seems to happen to me on the same part of track...
The power saving mechanism for notebooks are included in BIOS usually for many notebooks so this is something to check as well.It might cause the performance drop.

Also notebook have usually integrated graphic cards which take GPU memoru from the main system memory.IF you have like 512MB ram this might be the issue as well.Something takes windows XP(depened on your configuration and programs running),something take the GPU from the main memory and there can then not too much left for the games running.Be aware of that!!!

IF you have XP and GPU take memory from the main memory then 1GB is minimal.
For Vista I would consider 2GB is minimal as Vista takes after start usually 500-700MB of memory!!!

FPS drop - 70 to 6fps
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG