The online racing simulator
LFS Dedicated Server on Linux
(4 posts, started )
Hi ...

I've had a quick search on the forum and I didn't really find what I was looking for, well, I did, but the link given was dead, so I'll ask my question here (hoping this is the right section, lol).

How do you setup an LFS dedicated server on Linux?

I have absolutely no experience with Linux, so I'm a complete noob. I thought I'd give it a try though, as there are some good points to it, and I'll have my own dedicated server soon to play with. I've setup LFS servers on Windows XP and 2003 Server before with no problem what so ever, but as I said, Linux is different and I'm yet to learn about it.

I saw somewhere that you have to use a Windows emulator? Wine or something like that? How hard is that to do? Is there no other way? I imagine that somebody somewhere has written a tutorial / guide about how to install and use it, and maybe even how to get LFS to work with it? If you know of one, could you please give me the link or post your advice here? Also, are there some Linux distributions that are better then other for this kind of thing, or will it work on any of them?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help ...
Oh, the search never threw up that thread ...

Thanks for the link, I'll read all that tonight!
I have been tempted before to write a Linux dedicated server for LFS, just for the challenge of it. I dont think it will be plausable though until S2 is final (in which case nobody will want it because of S3 Alpha...) or without developer support in terms of being able to deliver up to date versions when changes occur.

I see no reason why a third party dedicated server application could not be written that both runs on all major platforms (PC, Linux, Mac) and handles more than one server on a single instance (anyone who has RDC'd into a server running multiple hosts knows what i'm talking about!).

In the current LFS landscape though, such a project would be futile as LFS changes too often and the communication link between server and client is not done with any published standard (meaning I could only do it by reverse engineering).

If Scawens is interested, then i'm up for the challenge.

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG