The online racing simulator
Right of way?
(30 posts, started )
Right of way?
I've been getting rear ended quite a lot online, and I think I figured out why tonight.

I was racing on a CTRA server, doing pretty good, when some guy rear ends me as i'm slowing down into a turn.

I figure "no biggy, i'm not perfect either, and I wasn't thrown off of my line. I won't say anything".

Then as soon as the race finishes he tells me "sinkoman, LEARN TO DRIVE".

I reply "what the heck man, you REAR ENDED ME!"

"LEARN TO DRIVE SINKOMAN! YOU BRAKED!"

"NO CRAP I HIT MY BRAKES! Learn to ANTICIPATE! I had complete right of way man!"

"Nobody brakes at that turn, LEARN TO DRIVE!"

Ok, so what i'm wondering is, let's say i'm following pretty closely to the rest of the pack, and I can see that i'm coming into the next turn at an off angle, so I hit my brakes and drop speed just a smidge, something that nobody else is doing. I apparently just misjudged, and didn't realize I could make it.

Yet the guy following slams into me at full speed.

Who's "fault" would you say that was? Mine or his?

I've been under the impression that whilst following, it's YOUR responsibility to correct your line for whatever odd actions the driver ahead of you may make, exactly like in real life, but i'm a noob, so i'm not entirely sure on this :\
His, but it depends on the severity of your braking. If you just braked really slightly, he should've kept more distance to you, as he apparently didn't know you or your driving style good enough to warrant close racing. If however on the other hand you braked a bit more than just really lightly, I'd say it's your fault for not practising the track enough offline.

The only real way to judge this fairly would be a replay.
HIS fault definately. When following another car you have to be aware that sometimes they will do things that you cannot even grasp the reasoning of. Any driver that runs into the back of another driver has just demonstrated that they lack the intelligence of a true front-line driver (except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances), and should hide in shame.

You were okay, by the sounds of it. It would be interesting to hear from the person who hit you, as long as they can write in a calm, subjective manner and not just rant at you.
#4 - garph
I would say his fault as well. When you're coming up behind or racing with someone close and you have to accept responsibility for being cautious when braking so that you don't rear end them, this means braking earlier than you normally would and just being more aware and cautious.

Some times it can be a little down to the car in front if they braked really early and there is just no way of avoiding them, but even if that was the case the person behind cannot really say much, just accept it and move on.

Was racing the UF1 in the bronze server I did notice a lot of people just think, because they are going faster or have more speed at a particular point that they can go through, even if there is no gap, instead of braking or easing of the gas they just pile into the back of you or side swipe you. But I guess that can be put down to learning cause it doesn't happen that much in the silver/gold server.
Quote from sinkoman :I've been getting rear ended quite a lot online, and I think I figured out why tonight.

I was racing on a CTRA server, doing pretty good, when some guy rear ends me as i'm slowing down into a turn.

I figure "no biggy, i'm not perfect either, and I wasn't thrown off of my line. I won't say anything".

Then as soon as the race finishes he tells me "sinkoman, LEARN TO DRIVE".

I reply "what the heck man, you REAR ENDED ME!"

"LEARN TO DRIVE SINKOMAN! YOU BRAKED!"

"NO CRAP I HIT MY BRAKES! Learn to ANTICIPATE! I had complete right of way man!"

"Nobody brakes at that turn, LEARN TO DRIVE!"

Ok, so what i'm wondering is, let's say i'm following pretty closely to the rest of the pack, and I can see that i'm coming into the next turn at an off angle, so I hit my brakes and drop speed just a smidge, something that nobody else is doing. I apparently just misjudged, and didn't realize I could make it.

Yet the guy following slams into me at full speed.

Who's "fault" would you say that was? Mine or his?

I've been under the impression that whilst following, it's YOUR responsibility to correct your line for whatever odd actions the driver ahead of you may make, exactly like in real life, but i'm a noob, so i'm not entirely sure on this :\

You are in the right he is the in the wrong. You have to just learn to ignore idiots like that I'm afraid.
i think it is his fault as long as you keep your line. if you brake to shut the door and he spins your end with his nose i would say its your fault. or probably would call it normal racing accident.

but in general it is his fault.
Sadly it happens a lot. People don't seem to pay attention to what's happening around them, and it's especially bad at the start when people are still together. I've been rear-ended loads of times because the person in front of me has braked and I've reacted. Then they yell at you as if it was your fault.
It seems to be that they decide on their racing line and braking points, then keep to them no matter who might be in the way.

Stupid, but true. Hopefully once the damage system is more complete, people will care more about what's happening around them.
id say it largely depends on where and how you brake
if you tap the brakes lightly or if the driver behind you has a considerable distance to you its definately his fault
but much like in road traffic if you stomp on the brakes for no apparent reason (brake checking basically) with a driver tailgating you you should expect him to hit you

i remeber a race where a buddy of mine whom id been following around for a few laps started braking into a corner some 70m before his usual braking point .... as far as im concerned this one was on him
#9 - Woz
His fault. He rear ended so its his responsibility.

Any GOOD driver (I don't mean fast driver and fast drivers can be bad drivers) will watch the driver in front and look at how they drive, adapt their pace and look for the chance to pass.

A BAD driver will think they can ALWAYS drive at full pace and then get crappy and blame other slower drivers when they hit them.

Its just some people have NO concept of race rules and the need to yield when they don't have the right of way.

That said, it would be good to be able to enforce qualify sessions and also the 7% rule as a server option so only people on the pace can get into a race.
His fault, and he should be reading this thread....ashamed!
definatly his fault, if he was that close to you to going into a turn he should have took a different line to try and pass you. atleast that is what id have done in his situation. although if you was being lapped then its your responsability to get out of the way (BLUE FLAG RULE) if that wasnt the case then you are not to blame
Quote from harjun :His fault, and he should be reading this thread....ashamed!

He probably is/did read this thread...but didnt want to post because of the overwhelming force against him.

I would also say his fault. He hit you, doesnt matter if you slammed on the brakes, its his fault, he should learn to not just anticipate, but react. He anticipated you NOT breaking on the turn, and didnt react when you did. His fault.
Quote from X tempor :although if you was being lapped then its your responsability to get out of the way (BLUE FLAG RULE)

How many times do we have to hear this myth over and over again? Blue flag means nothing except "faster car approaching" or "lapping driver approaching", depending on whether it is held or waved... There is NO rule that states you have to get out of the lapper's way, you just don't fight being passed... The passing itself is still up to the lapper, and if you're smart, you make that as short as possible to start racing again immediately afterwards...
#14 - Woz
Quote from bbman :How many times do we have to hear this myth over and over again? Blue flag means nothing except "faster car approaching" or "lapping driver approaching", depending on whether it is held or waved... There is NO rule that states you have to get out of the lapper's way, you just don't fight being passed... The passing itself is still up to the lapper, and if you're smart, you make that as short as possible to start racing again immediately afterwards...

depends on the series, Some rules have a certain amount of blue flags you are allowed to pass before you get a penalty etc.
Happened to me tonight, i was racing on 1 of the FE tracks and some guy rear ends me on the way into a bend and begins beeping his horn and ramming my rear...
IMO it's his fault.
I see way too many "good" drivers trying to hotlap during the race with complete disregard to other racers. Those people don't know poop about racing, IMO.
Those are the ones bitching at you for not getting out of their holly way rather then waiting their chance.

Some people really need to rethink and relearn the proper conduct during races. It's not how fast you can lap the track. It's how fast and clean you can do it under the given circumstances.

Small bumps and mistakes happen and are not frowned upon. But when someone slams into a car because they weren't going fast enough it just pure stupidity.

Just my $0.02
Don't flame the n00b
#17 - Iron
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :Happened to me tonight, i was racing on 1 of the FE tracks and some guy rear ends me on the way into a bend and begins beeping his horn and ramming my rear...

Report him on http://licence.ukct.net/report.asp!

I so hate it when this happens. Just like yesterday: I was following a car closely a few corners after the start, being very very cautious, like there would have been an egg on his rear bumper, he braked a little, so did I, but the ... *counts to ten* ... racer behind me did not. He instead rear ended me, putting me into a nice spin (XRT), and passing away as nothing would have happened, even gave a "" smiley. It just ruins my belief in humankind. I must be from Mars or something...
most drivers just dont have the patience to wait for a suitable place to pass you, granted sometimes they do pick their spot to overtake and sometimes get it wrong. the majority though will do whatever it takes to get infront. i was racing yesterday on fernbay in second place last turn of the last lap, fighting for position with the guy behind. i would have had him beat (as there was no way he was passing me on the start finish straight) breaking for the corner just as i turn in he slams into me, spinning me of into the sand trap and he picks up second place and the license points to go with it. drivers like this really get on my nerves they havnt the skills to beat you cleanly so they race dirty, footing kunts
Quote from Woz :depends on the series, Some rules have a certain amount of blue flags you are allowed to pass before you get a penalty etc.

Which still isn't "get out of the way", which is quite a difference...
Yeah, I'm always getting rear-ended on the Copper/Bronze CTRA servers, especially on the first corner of the FE tracks.

I just ignore what they say and keep racing.
#21 - Iron
Quote from supernam :Yeah, I'm always getting rear-ended on the Copper/Bronze CTRA servers, especially on the first corner of the FE tracks.

I just ignore what they say and keep racing.

Well it's fortunate if you can keep racing... I mean if you don't get spun out.
His fault.

I know I have made a few mistakes before but when I'm racing behind someone when it comes to corners I take my finger of accelaration abit(keyboard+mouse driver so it makes it a little harder for me) so I'm ready for when they break. Then when they break I'll break and it works fine. and say sorry if I caused a accident
Quote from spacedeck :His fault.

I know I have made a few mistakes before but when I'm racing behind someone when it comes to corners I take my finger of accelaration abit(keyboard+mouse driver so it makes it a little harder for me) so I'm ready for when they break. Then when they break I'll break and it works fine. and say sorry if I caused a accident

Indeed. You can make mistakes during a race and so can other drivers. If you recognize your mistake ( by apologising) and accept other peoples apologies there's nothing wrong. Just keep in mind that you're not the only guy on the track and a pass is only a pass when both cars survive.
Something similar happed to me when I was racing the FOX on SO1. I was behind a person who kept braking at the last sweeping corner, before the start / finish straight. I figured I would be a nice guy, let him stay in front of me for the whole race so I could observe. At the end of the race, I told him (gently!) that there was no need to brake there or at the chicane, just keep it at half throttle, and put faith into the FOX's suspension.

He thanked me, and next race, knocked of more than half a second on his fastest lap!

So for the fast guys: you can either say "you fookin idiot! LEARN TO DRIVE11!!" or give advice at the end of the race that benefits everyone, thus making the race smooth and accident free.
Here here Jay!

The funny thing is that 6 days before my wedding, the 17 year old Lexus driver said exactly the same thing to me ( "Learn To Drive!" ) after he rear ended me on the freeway

Right of way?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG