The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W26
(117 posts, closed, started )
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :When I go to change skins,it freezes for a few moment's,then a message appear's "You have lost connection to host" Is it a bug or something ?

That sounds strange, seems like it's taking a long time, as if there are still skins waiting to be converted - but really that should only happen once - and it shouldn't take very long because it would only be if you added a new skin after starting LFS.

So I'm wondering, Could it be you have a corrupted skin in your skins folder, that LFS keeps trying (and failing) to convert? Could you try this : Go in LFS, click to select a skin (I guess it should pause a long time even in single player). After the long pause, have a look in CFG.txt and see what skin it was trying to convert (it's probably one of the last lines in the file). Now go into your skins folder and just try to open that skin (to see if it's a corrupted file).

Quote from rc10racer :[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#0066cc][COLOR=black]Got this crash while running lfs for the first time on vista. It crashed while lfs switched window trying to bring up the server list but it crashed before it started to search for servers.[/COLOR]

Hmm, that's bad. Crash address is in D3D8 so I can't really do anything with it. Does it work now that it's not the first time? And if it does work, does it work ok regardless of the windowed while connecting option?

And does it crash with a clean install of full version W + patch W26?
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, that's bad. Crash address is in D3D8 so I can't really do anything with it. Does it work now that it's not the first time? And if it does work, does it work ok regardless of the windowed while connecting option?

It works fine now, my guess is it was a one off fluke crash tbh.

It was not a clean copy, i got it from my xp hdd with has all my stuff and just copyed it over to vista and put TP26 on it for a server i wanted to go on.
Quote from Scawen :That sounds strange, seems like it's taking a long time, as if there are still skins waiting to be converted - but really that should only happen once - and it shouldn't take very long because it would only be if you added a new skin after starting LFS.

So I'm wondering, Could it be you have a corrupted skin in your skins folder, that LFS keeps trying (and failing) to convert? Could you try this : Go in LFS, click to select a skin (I guess it should pause a long time even in single player). After the long pause, have a look in CFG.txt and see what skin it was trying to convert (it's probably one of the last lines in the file). Now go into your skins folder and just try to open that skin (to see if it's a corrupted file).

Hmm, that's bad. Crash address is in D3D8 so I can't really do anything with it. Does it work now that it's not the first time? And if it does work, does it work ok regardless of the windowed while connecting option?

Yep,its sorted now I had an corrupted helmet skin in there"HEL_halfordss cannot be found" and i deleted the skin and perfect now

thanks
Quote from Bladerunner :+1.... BUT

We have already had people whining that the pit-lane speed limiter isn't on by default...imagine the furore if they actually had to start the car as well! (what's next btw? cant start a race until you check oil/water?)

But this sim shouldn't be pleasing "those" people, jeez, like we are talking about Wipeout here... They will wonder one time what is happening, then they would figure it out, just like they would get a "stop and go" once and the next time they will watch if the speed limiter is on or off... i mean, c'mon, it's not brain science...
It would add some immersion i think, since there are places where we are really lacking it...
It would be a bit more closer to real races, qualis starts, you here engine after engine starting... I think we should really move forward to the realism, not away from it, that kind of thinking like: "but the noobs wouldn't be able to drive easily" is what is holding this sim down...
I won't be making the cars start with the engine off in qualifying for patch X.

I tried that the other day when I made the the cars start from the pits. But the starting sound effect isn't much good because the engine sort of starts instantly and you can hear that behind the starter motor sound. It needs a physics update to spin the engine up more slowly so it matches the start motor's rate of acceleration.

So, in short, I'm not interested in adding it while it makes people hear something that doesn't sound very good. I'm doubtful if it's a the best idea for the future anway, because remember LFS is about racing, not really all about pushing buttons in the right sequence. But please, let's not discuss that here any more. That is an improvement suggestion and as I've now said I'm not doing it for X at least, we shouldn't discuss it on the test patch any more. Thanks.
Ok, nice to know you are considering it, it makes sense not to implement it now... but it's not just the racing that matters, it's little things also, we might aswell be starting the race right in the middle of the T1 mayhem with the counter saying "prepare, it will unpause itself in 5, 4, 3, 2.. "

Sorry for bringing this in the test patch section... won't do it again...
Regarding the stutter. I'm not too sure its an LFS problem. I had no stutter problems with my lfs before my hdd blew up and I lost everything. After reinstall on diffnt hard disk. I have real problems with stutter; but it also exists in windows xp even when lfs isn't loaded. I get the same temporary freezing, the same sound stutters. Its exactly the same as it is in LFS. So I tend to think its a windows problem. Its being caused by something almost constantly accessing the hard drive; but there's nothing there. Even now its whirring away, and there's nothing loaded. I've set windows for performace, disabled all the visual helps, tried to fiddle with the virtual mem, but that doesn't help. I even tried getting my clock sync'd by making some registry changes to w32time in registry.

The only thing I can think of is its the swap file, but I have gobs of mem (786mb) and the swap file is only 1150mb. With nothing loaded, the hdd shouldn't be going mad. I did comp sci at uni, and I know this isnt' normal. So damned if I know, I'm just sure its not an LFS problem.

Venus
Nup, not in my case anyway.

Had a hard drive fail a little while ago and replaced it with 2 x raptor drives in Raid 0 configuration. Also have 2GB RAM (dual channel). Stutter or mini-freeze or whatever you want to call it was present before and after this (but only since it first started appearing in the game).

I even used a fresh install of LFS when putting it on the new HDD's.

**edit**

Venus - I'd be running some sort of virus/spyware/etc scan if I was you
Typo in commands.txt
In the command.txt file I got with this patch, there is the line:

/alt [num] [text] - change text e.g. "altf 1 bye"

In this line, "/alt" should be "/altf".
A minor bug. The /press i command doesn't respond. Pressing i on the keyboard works. I only just noticed this playing Patch W0 yesterday, but it is still apparent in W26.
For what its worth, commands like /press v , /press h , /press n do work so I know I am typing the command correctly.

Cheers. Sorry if its an old bug already reported. I couldn't find it elsewhere.
Is there anyway I can play the last official patch,I have downloaded w26 but no one is ever online,only 3 server's on as we speak,with only i person in each
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :Is there anyway I can play the last official patch,I have downloaded w26 but no one is ever online,only 3 server's on as we speak,with only i person in each

stupid question. just download the LFS S2 "Patch W" release. You should have installed the test patch in a separate folder in the first place.

there are more than 3 hosts and people online all the time with the new patches. If you don't see them, verify you are not filtering the results and log in to lfsworld to compare the "in game" race list with the test patched hosts in LFS World.
Ok,I never put intot a seperate folderdoes that matter

P.S sorry for the stupid question's
Quote from FL!P :In the command.txt file I got with this patch, there is the line:

/alt [num] [text] - change text e.g. "altf 1 bye"

In this line, "/alt" should be "/altf".

Thanks, fixed in my version.

Quote from JasonJ :A minor bug. The /press i command doesn't respond. Pressing i on the keyboard works. I only just noticed this playing Patch W0 yesterday, but it is still apparent in W26.
For what its worth, commands like /press v , /press h , /press n do work so I know I am typing the command correctly.

Cheers. Sorry if its an old bug already reported. I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Because ignition is now an assignable button, it doesn't work any more with the /press command. Hopefully you don't need it to work with /press any more, because it's directly assignable to a wheel button.
I recall trying to make a script at some point though, and needing to simulate some button presses that are assigned to commands. It didn't work so eventually I gave up, but if it's meant to be possible, I can take a look at it again and tell you exactly what wasn't working...
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :Is there anyway I can play the last official patch,I have downloaded w26 but no one is ever online,only 3 server's on as we speak,with only i person in each

Quote from Tomi :stupid question. just download the LFS S2 "Patch W" release. You should have installed the test patch in a separate folder in the first place.

there are more than 3 hosts and people online all the time with the new patches. If you don't see them, verify you are not filtering the results and log in to lfsworld to compare the "in game" race list with the test patched hosts in LFS World.

W is official W26 is test, how obvious can ppl make it for them.
Thanks for the feedback.

I've uploaded a new patch W31. The list of updates doesn't look very long but that's because the InSim button interface is quite a big thing that took some days. It will allow host control systems and local InSim programs do put buttons on your screen.

You will be able to switch buttons on or off by using the SHIFT+I (host buttons) or SHIFT+B (local buttons) keypresses.
But don't worry about that, you should be instructed how to use any program when you get there!

Changes in TEST PATCH W31 :

Command line command /player (start LFS with specified player name)
Startup skin conversion now shows progress and skin being converted
New command /wait (like /exec but LFS hangs until the program exits)
New InSim buttons system allowing better interface in InSim programs
Various other InSim updates - nearly all compatible with W26 InSim

FIX : Helmet jpg skins didn't appear in list in uncompressed skins mode
FIX : Damaged AI drivers could get stuck if two nearby wanted to reset
FIX : Single Player Replay of qualifying session did not work
FIX : Replay OOS error when using a voluntary handicap

W31 thread : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=24877
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W26
(117 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG