The online racing simulator
The Gentlefoot Formula Challenge
Here is some general information about this event.

Dual FOX and FO8 entries;

Overall Championship rank and separate FOX and FO8 ranks;

Championship entries unlimited;

1st come first served basis for event entry with reserve list;

12 Events (1 season) held every two weeks;

Races approx 75mins in length (pit stop will be required at most circuits);

League system and points for each event;

Entrants will be able to drop their two lowest scores so they can miss up to two races per season without losing points;

Independent judicial system for decisions and appeals;

Warnings, penalties and possible bans for bad driving;

For more information go to GFC LFS League

or go to Leagues, Car Setups and Track Guides
are you tonight online?

maybe we can talk about it then.

reintjan
Quote from hotmail :are you tonight online?

maybe we can talk about it then.

reintjan

Yep - I will be on the GentlefootFormulaRacing server at some point tonight
#4 - Dru
Quote from Gentlefoot :Yep - I will be on the GentlefootFormulaRacing server at some point tonight

Another ZWR'er you see Gentlefoot - we are interested in getting involved with this league if we can
Quote from Dru :Another ZWR'er you see Gentlefoot - we are interested in getting involved with this league if we can

Glad to see it.

As I mentioned in my PM if you enter this Sunday's race you will almost certainly get a grid slot. I reckon there won't be more than about 15 people turn up.
#6 - Dru
Quote from Gentlefoot :Glad to see it.

As I mentioned in my PM if you enter this Sunday's race you will almost certainly get a grid slot. I reckon there won't be more than about 15 people turn up.

Done
The first test event took place on Sunday and was a resounding success. A full grid of 20 cars made this an intense experience. We had 8 DNFs.

Congratulations to ATC The End for taking the win by a significant margin in the FO8 class. Somehow I managed to win the FOX class. Not quite sure how after being a lap down after 5

Links to results, judicial decisions and post race chat can be found at http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum/index.php

Final scores will be added shortly. There are several outstanding incident investigations open at the moment. Decisions will be made tonight.

GF
Quote from Gentlefoot :Somehow I managed to win the FOX class. Not quite sure how after being a lap down after 5

Must of been when you drafted me for half a lap GF

Thanks GF for all your hard work and if you need to delegate some parts of the project out I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Just seen the Judicial Videos Of Race 0 - Awesome GF as the Video never lies
Quote from CELTIC100 :Must of been when you drafted me for half a lap GF

Thanks GF for all your hard work and if you need to delegate some parts of the project out I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Just seen the Judicial Videos Of Race 0 - Awesome GF as the Video never lies

Thanks mate - much appreciated. I may well take you up on your offer at some point in the future.

GF
Yes thank you for your hard work GF it was an awesome race, can't wait for the season to start!
Quote from andy_bonjon :Yes thank you for your hard work GF it was an awesome race, can't wait for the season to start!

Thanks mate - me too. Practice session have been busy the last couple of nights on the GentlefootFormulaRacing server. Seems this is a popular track, if a little frustrating with two tricky corners right at the end of the lap.
Hi Gentlefoot, i have just registered in GF.com to get involve with the incoming season .
Quote from Koa128 :Hi Gentlefoot, i have just registered in GF.com to get involve with the incoming season .

yep - saw that and you're all registered now.

Here's the highlights from the qualifying session of the pre season race at Fern Bay Club.

The high quality WMV download is highly recomended. Flash video is not good quality.

GFC LFS Video

See the top news item.
The points system needs to change IMO, at the moment it seems seriously flawed.

This is copied from the GFC forum:

Below are details of the points you will score in the GFC. Only the top 25 finishers will score points.

1st = 40 Points
2nd = 37 Points
3rd = 35 Points
4th = 33 Points
5th = 32 Points
6th = 31 Points
7th = 30 Points
8th = 29 Points
9th = 28 Points
10th = 27 Points
11th = 26 Points
12th = 25 Points
13th = 24 Points
14th = 23 Points
15th = 22 Points
16th = 21 Points
17th = 20 Points
18th = 19 Points
19th = 18 Points
20th = 17 Points
21st = 16 Points
22nd = 15 Points
23rd = 14 Points
24th = 13 Points
25th = 12 Points
26th = 11 points
27th = 10 points
28th = 9 points
29th = 8 points
30th = 7 points
31st = 6 points
32nd = 5 points

At the end of the season, all drivers completing 10 races or more will be rewarded with a 10 point bonus.

Firstly, the two classes should have seperate points classifications. Currently, a win in the FOX class will be worth only 1 point more than 2nd place. Look at the following examples to see how unfair the system seems at the moment:

1) Driver A competes in 9 races and wins them all, Driver B competes in 12 races and comes 6th in all of them. Driver B would beat driver A by about 10 points.

2) Driver A competes in 11 races and wins 11. Driver B competes in all 12 races and comes 2nd 6 times and 3rd 6 times. Driver A and Driver B would achieve almost identical points totals.

The situation is similar in the Fo8 division. Someone coming last in the Fo8 class would get over 50% as many points as the driver winning the class... which makes no sense whatsoever.

I really think the points system needs to be the same for both classes, and I would suggest something like the MotoGP points classification:
  1. 25
  2. 20
  3. 16
  4. 13
  5. 11
  6. 10
  7. 9
  8. 8
  9. 7
  10. 6
  11. 5
  12. 4
  13. 3
  14. 2
  15. 1
Pleeeeaaaase make sure you get the points system right, so many leagues fail to do this. I don't really understand it considering it's importance and the number of real life series to use as an example.

Edit: I was just told that you can drop your worst two scores, which makes the above examples incorrect... I still think that the MotoGP points system would be far better though, with seperate championship classifications for each car.
Quote from joshdifabio :The points system needs to change IMO, at the moment it seems seriously flawed.

This is copied from the GFC forum:

Below are details of the points you will score in the GFC. Only the top 25 finishers will score points.

1st = 40 Points
2nd = 37 Points
3rd = 35 Points
4th = 33 Points
5th = 32 Points
6th = 31 Points
7th = 30 Points
8th = 29 Points
9th = 28 Points
10th = 27 Points
11th = 26 Points
12th = 25 Points
13th = 24 Points
14th = 23 Points
15th = 22 Points
16th = 21 Points
17th = 20 Points
18th = 19 Points
19th = 18 Points
20th = 17 Points
21st = 16 Points
22nd = 15 Points
23rd = 14 Points
24th = 13 Points
25th = 12 Points
26th = 11 points
27th = 10 points
28th = 9 points
29th = 8 points
30th = 7 points
31st = 6 points
32nd = 5 points

At the end of the season, all drivers completing 10 races or more will be rewarded with a 10 point bonus.

Firstly, the two classes should have seperate points classifications. Currently, a win in the FOX class will be worth only 1 point more than 2nd place. Look at the following examples to see how unfair the system seems at the moment:

1) Driver A competes in 9 races and wins them all, Driver B competes in 12 races and comes 6th in all of them. Driver B would beat driver A by about 10 points.

2) Driver A competes in 11 races and wins 11. Driver B competes in all 12 races and comes 2nd 6 times and 3rd 6 times. Driver A and Driver B would achieve almost identical points totals.

The situation is similar in the Fo8 division. Someone coming last in the Fo8 class would get over 50% as many points as the driver winning the class... which makes no sense whatsoever.

I really think the points system needs to be the same for both classes, and I would suggest something like the MotoGP points classification:
  1. 25
  2. 20
  3. 16
  4. 13
  5. 11
  6. 10
  7. 9
  8. 8
  9. 7
  10. 6
  11. 5
  12. 4
  13. 3
  14. 2
  15. 1
Pleeeeaaaase make sure you get the points system right, so many leagues fail to do this. I don't really understand it considering it's importance and the number of real life series to use as an example.

Edit: I was just told that you can drop your worst two scores, which makes the above examples incorrect... I still think that the MotoGP points system would be far better though, with seperate championship classifications for each car.

We had a lot of discussion with all entrants in the Gentlefoot.com forum about this. Initially I had a system a bit like yours but I changed it because of majority rule. The way we have it now encourages people to race and also encourages people to finish the race even if they are in last place with no hope of coming 2nd to last.

I don't want to separate the classes because I want to finish above some FO8s at the end of the season so separate points would make comparision impossible.
Quote from Gentlefoot :We had a lot of discussion with all entrants in the Gentlefoot.com forum about this. Initially I had a system a bit like yours but I changed it because of majority rule. The way we have it now encourages people to race and also encourages people to finish the race even if they are in last place with no hope of coming 2nd to last.

I don't want to separate the classes because I want to finish above some FO8s at the end of the season so separate points would make comparision impossible.

But the number of points for a win in the FOX class changes depending on how many FO8s turn up... 5th in one race could be worth more points than 1st in another just because less FO8s finished. I just can't see a single benefit of the current points system, and there are so many benefits to using a different one.

What point is there in having the FOX drivers competing with the FO8 drivers in the same championship when the FO8 is so much faster over 1 lap?

Edit: Also, I think that seperate points classifications makes the classes MORE comparible if you use the same structure. At the moment, a FOX driver will only beat an FO8 driver if the FO8 driver doesn't turn up to some races, or if they have some DNFs. There is also very little motivation to practice thoroughly if there is next to no benefit in placing higher. It's basically just the number of finishes which will determine each driver's championship position with this system.

Edit 2: Just to demonstrate the difference between the cars; the Formula V8 is 20 seconds per lap faster than the Formula XR at AS Historic. What on Earth is the point in trying to have them compete against one another in the championship standings?
Quote from joshdifabio :But the number of points for a win in the FOX class changes depending on how many FO8s turn up

That's right - because we are all competing together.

Quote from joshdifabio :What point is there in having the FOX drivers competing with the FO8 drivers in the same championship when the FO8 is so much faster over 1 lap?

Because racing isn't just about lap time. I beat an FO8 at the last event.
Quote from Gentlefoot :That's right - because we are all competing together.

But we aren't. A Formula XR driven by the world's best driver can't compete with a remotely competently driven Formula V8. I don't see any sense in sacrificing fairness within one class just to try and have these completely uneven cars compete with eachother.

Quote from Gentlefoot :Because racing isn't just about lap time. I beat an FO8 at the last event.

Did he retire? If not then he must have been driving with his eyes closed to have been beaten by a formula xr. Wouldn't it be better to have fair competition with everyone in your own class instead of unfair competition with everyone, and the possibility of beating 1 or 2 FO8s in the championship who were unable to finish any races? I don't see how that would even be remotely satisfying.
Quote from joshdifabio :

Did he retire?

No he didn't. And I was also on the same lap as Fired Up - only behind by a few seconds and 6 laps ahead of my nearest FOX rival.
Quote from Gentlefoot :No he didn't. And I was also on the same lap as Fired Up - only behind by a few seconds and 6 laps ahead of my nearest FOX rival.

Looking at the race results, FiredUp pitted 8 times and the pace in that race was generally quite poor. Also, FE Club is not a good indicator of the balance of the cars in general, because it is such a short track and is mainly made up of corners with very little high speed areas. Surely you don't think that this vague hope of beating 1 or 2 Formula V8s each race who either don't finish, pit lots of times, or are hopelessly out of practice, is worth sacrificing a fair points system for?

The Formula V8 that you beat was also over 10% off the WR pace on average, so I don't really think that it's a fair example. You did finish 13 laps behind the winning Formula V8.
Quote from joshdifabio :Looking at the race results, FiredUp pitted 8 times and the pace in that race was generally quite poor. Also, FE Club is not a good indicator of the balance of the cars in general, because it is such a short track and is mainly made up of corners. Surely you don't think that this vague hope of beating 1 or 2 Formula V8s each race who either don't finish, pit lots of times, or are hopelessly out of practice, is worth sacrificing a fair points system for?

The Formula V8 that you beat was also over 10% off the WR pace on average, so I don't really think that it's a fair example. You did finish 13 laps behind the winning Formula V8.

I don't expect to take any FO8 scalps at Aston Historic because it is such a fast circuit. However, at places like SO Long I have a good chance.
Quote from joshdifabio : You did finish 13 laps behind the winning Formula V8.

Yes but I also made 4 pitstops myself - three of which were unsceduled and in the first 50 laps of the race following accidents. So I could have been about 2 or 3 minutes faster!
Quote from Gentlefoot :I don't expect to take any FO8 scalps at Aston Historic because it is such a fast circuit. However, at places like SO Long I have a good chance.

The Formula XR still takes 11% longer to complete a lap than the Formula V8 at SO Long. If you do beat anyone they will have to have awful race, I don't understand how this can possibly be worth scrapping a fair points system for. Can you give me a link to this discussion that you had about the points system? Maybe there is a good reason for the current system which I have missed, but I can't really imagine that there is.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Yes but I also made 4 pitstops myself - three of which were unsceduled and in the first 50 laps of the race following accidents. So I could have been about 2 or 3 minutes faster!

And the Formula V8 you beat could have been 10 minutes faster.
Quote from joshdifabio :And the Formula V8 you beat could have been 10 minutes faster.

As I said before - racing is not just about lap time.

You are far more likely to have a big accident in an FO8 than a FOX. They require much more throttle control and this means concentration becomes even more important (especially over 75 mins). For this reason I am confident that I will continue to beat FO8s as the season goes on.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG