The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Display results reverts to auto
The setting for "Display Results" (no, yes, auto) gets switched back to auto everytime you load / start LFS.
Quote from three_jump :The setting for "Display Results" (no, yes, auto) gets switched back to auto everytime you load / start LFS.

Confirmed
Yes, that's not a bug. It should revert to auto every time. So every time you run LFS you know it will be doing the right thing. It's better this way, better than having bug reports again and again for the next few years, "i used to have a results list but now i never do". And improvement suggestions "how about a list that comes up showing who finished". That's why that setting is not stored in the cfg. Please let's not have a long discussion about this. If there is some very serious reason why this is a major issue then let me know.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, that's not a bug. It should revert to auto every time. So every time you run LFS you know it will be doing the right thing. It's better this way, better than having bug reports again and again for the next few years, "i used to have a results list but now i never do". And improvement suggestions "how about a list that comes up showing who finished". That's why that setting is not stored in the cfg. Please let's not have a long discussion about this. If there is some very serious reason why this is a major issue then let me know.

Sorry, Scawen. IMHO, you're wrong on this. When I make a change to the way LFS is configured I expect it to be saved. I don't pretend to fully understand the explanation posted above suffice to say that I'd expect that you'll be flooded with "why doesn't LFS remember the way I have my 'Display Results' set?".
Quote from OldBloke :Sorry, Scawen. IMHO, you're wrong on this. When I make a change to the way LFS is configured I expect it to be saved. I don't pretend to fully understand the explanation posted above suffice to say that I'd expect that you'll be flooded with "why doesn't LFS remember the way I have my 'Display Results' set?".

Oh dear we are going to have a massive conversation about this. It's a pity you haven't started by explaining to me what setting could be better than auto, and so vital to be saved in the cfg.txt.

CTRL+TAB hide / show results isn't really a configuration of LFS, it's a live thing. The idea is you definitely want it on auto. Other key presses are for special cases. It's not a configuration thing. That's how I see it, that's how it's been designed. In my opinion what you should really be telling me is what's wrong with the auto system, that makes you not want to use it.

It'd better make a spinoff thread. I can't believe that every single change needs to be discussed for days on end.
Quote from Scawen :It'd better make a spinoff thread. I can't believe that every single change needs to be discussed for days on end.

Sorry, but in this case I can't agree with you. When I want to change an option in lfs I do this for a reason, I don't wanna be infantilized like a little kid about what is best for me...

Btw: what sense makes an option when it gets set back to auto / default every time anyway?
Auto should be the default, no question about that. But I think the setting should be saved if you change it from the Options. If you switch it ingame with ctrl+tab it shouldn't be saved.
Or you could remove it from the Options..
Oh dear. If you're saying that auto is all that's needed then why make it configurable? If it's configurable then it should be saveable.
The new auto-results list is just the best setting. CTRL+Tab make you just able to show the list manually, its not really a config change!

Please stop whining about this, i get annoying about. You should use the small map, and if the small map at the right side, not in middle of the chat in qualifying, then is the auto-results list absolutely the best option. I love it really. Why want you see the results everytime, nobody need this, and it cause damage because u dont keep attention at the small map because your list is over the map.

And scawen take us the best laptime and the race-time in the personal results top right. this is more heavy and nobody of you have said any word against this. In screenshots are now the times not visible.

@scawen, yes what important is for me, this will i say again and again, im sorry. But maybe can help if you release your to do list, after reading this list maybe we stop to annoy you with the endless repetition of the same suggestions. For example, my connections list suggestions i repetition a lot of time and dont know whether any developer have noticed it. Many people have repeating said that they want see the ping in connection list, by all the spam in here i guess the developers are not able to read all postings and so can i not know whether any developer take a notice of my suggestion.
Dont see the fuss myself. I only had one problem that my map disappeared before when the leader finished the race. Thank god its fixed in W21. That was the only reason i need the ctrl TAB option. It still auto shows in qualy. maybe it can detect i am driving there also.

I want to see the results indeed, but just not when driving then i want my map. So i think it works great.... just qualy needs to behave the same?
if it's intended to be auto, then remove the whole option, but don't let it the way it is now, cause it will only bring confusion and reports about this "bug".

I'm not saying anything more to this, as a discussion is popintless with people blaming the others opinions as whining.
When this came up I thought it was a bug also.

Anyway as said before I don't mind if it's set to auto by default but I really think that it should be customizable.

And of course if it is customizable then my preference should be saved in the cfg file.

I don't think that there is any other setting in the options menu of LFS that it isn't saved. That's why I thought it was a bug at first place
#13 - Davo
I agree with three_jump. If it's going to be customisable it should save the setting whether it be auto, no or yes. Personally I prefer manual
See, you guys are just saying "I want it saved in the cfg". I have said, it shouldn't be saved in the cfg. And your only replies are things like "I am being treated like an infant, it should be saved in the cfg" or "If it's customisable, it should be saveable". But none of you is saying anything useful, like for what reason you wouldn't want to use the auto setting, or what's not right about the auto setting, that makes you not want to use it, so I can consider improving it. So all you're saying basically is "You're wrong". Well, I can't agree with that, I've thought about it and I think it's right. So if you give me no reason or explanation about what's up with the auto system, you are just wasting your time and mine.

Quote from three_jump :Btw: what sense makes an option when it gets set back to auto / default every time anyway?

That sounds quite silly. This is a temporary "show" button - not an option - like SHIFT+L (live suspension display) or H - show message history. You can't seriously be saying that SHIFT+L or H should be saved in the cfg as well are you?

Quote from OldBloke :Oh dear. If you're saying that auto is all that's needed then why make it configurable? If it's configurable then it should be saveable.

Same for SHIFT+L and H keys? Absolutely every single button press should be saved in the cfg, should it? There's no place or possible reason for a button that just says "show me this information now" but doesn't become some kind of configuation option? If that's what you are saying then - we'll have to agree to differ on that. I won't argue about it.
Seeing that neither Shift+L nor H are settable in the options, maybe simply removing the Ctrl+Tab setting from there would be a solution? Just add it to the shortcut overview in the Controls section instead.

I can kinda understand the naysayers that having a separate option which isn't saved in the first place is somewhat useless and confusing. I mean, if I want to turn off results, I press Ctrl+Tab and don't go to the options to turn it off there.
Quote from Scawen :But none of you is saying anything useful, like for what reason you wouldn't want to use the auto setting

It's a personal preference thing, the default display results debate is almost irrelevant. I also would like it how it was and that's the gist of what this topic is about as far as I can see, but feel free to bite my head off too 0.o
Quote from geeman1 :Auto should be the default, no question about that. But I think the setting should be saved if you change it from the Options. If you switch it ingame with ctrl+tab it shouldn't be saved.
Or you could remove it from the Options..

Thanks, I missed your final sentence before.

Maybe this really is the solution, I've been thinking of it as CTRL+TAB only, not thinking of the fact that it had a line in the options.

Maybe this is where the communication breakdown is happening and why people are getting worked up about it.

Quote from AndroidXP :Seeing that neither Shift+L nor H are settable in the options, maybe simply removing the Ctrl+Tab setting from there would be a solution? Just add it to the shortcut overview in the Controls section instead.

I can kinda understand the naysayers that having a separate option which isn't saved in the first place is somewhat useless and confusing. I mean, if I want to turn off results, I press Ctrl+Tab and don't go to the options to turn it off there.

Yes, same again. I'll remove it from the options, so it's consistent with the other temporary keys.

I see no reason to have it as an actual option, and no-one has given any reason why it should be, and no-one has stated any issues with the auto system, or why anyone would not want it on auto. Though as said several times, I'm very interested to hear about any problems with the "hide results while driving" system.
Quote from Scawen :
I see no reason to have it as an actual option, and no-one has given any reason why it should be, and no-one has stated any issues with the auto system, or why anyone would not want it on auto.

The reason why people (me included) want it as an option is because in qualify mode the grid display is very important. It's like if you have a race to don't know what your actual position is.

From a little testing I did, while in Auto it appears when you pass the start/finish line and then it dissapears. I really can't memorize the grid this way. It dissapears to quickly and I want to have some glimpses to it during the outlap and inlap to see what other racers are doing,what's my realtive position etc.

I guess the whole problem is this:
Quote from Scawen :This is a temporary "show" button - not an option - like SHIFT+L (live suspension display) or H - show message history. You can't seriously be saying that SHIFT+L or H should be saved in the cfg as well are you?

The qualification grid is far important during qualify to "degrade" it to the "show buttons" category.
#19 - Davo
The reason is I like to see how the qualifying is going and most servers I join have qualifing on and I like to practice in qualifying mode. It's just so natural to look up and see the list there without having to press a button to make it visible.

I also think it should be configurable and saved in the config file is because the option to see either fps or the time is also configurable and I think that's what makes it great. These little things that we can set just the way we like them, it can please everyone by them setting it the way they want. The default setting could be auto, but the option to save it to always on or off would be great too. If it's not going to be able to be saved in the cfg then atleast have it always on as default.
Just letting you know in advance, I found that the "/ctrl tab" command didn't work. I've fixed that now, so in the next patch you'll be able to add a single line "ctrl tab" to your autoexec.lfs and that will make it go to permanent display mode as soon as you start LFS.

I've also change the order so it goes no-auto-yes. That means you'll only need one ctrl tab line.

In case you don't know already, the autoexec.lfs script is run once when you first get to the entry screen. So you can add any /commands to that file.
Quote from Scawen : ...the autoexec.lfs script is run once when you first get to the entry screen. So you can add any /commands to that file.

Or get a Logitech G15 and assign a key to it.
Sorry to be flippant but it was getting a bit tense in here.
Quote from Doorman :Sorry to be flippant but it was getting a bit tense in here.

Yes.

I am sorry for my part in that - and that was my failure to realise that it wasn't just a key, but also appeared in the options, and that was inconsistent with the fact that it was not saved in the cfg.

And this led to some lack of communication in this conversation.
Quote from Scawen :Yes.

I am sorry for my part in that - and that was my failure to realise that it wasn't just a key, but also appeared in the options, and that was inconsistent with the fact that it was not saved in the cfg.

And this led to some lack of communication in this conversation.

A real man.
Quote from Scawen :Just letting you know in advance, I found that the "/ctrl tab" command didn't work. I've fixed that now, so in the next patch you'll be able to add a single line "ctrl tab" to your autoexec.lfs and that will make it go to permanent display mode as soon as you start LFS.

I've also change the order so it goes no-auto-yes. That means you'll only need one ctrl tab line.

In case you don't know already, the autoexec.lfs script is run once when you first get to the entry screen. So you can add any /commands to that file.

Thanks for that
I hope you'll get some rest after the X patch, cause the W -> X path required a lot of hard work on your part.
We recognize the effort you have made so far and personally I'm impressed by the way you Scavier people develop LFS, always in discussion/cooperation with the fans of the game
Afte i was taking part on the Qualifying Session for the 24h Race yesterday evening i welcome the option the hide the Quali Result unless u cross the Finishline. With 31 Results 1 Quarter of the Screen becomes useless.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG