The online racing simulator
Windscreen mirror more flexible/Free moving map
Quote :I didn't find anything about it yet.

The windscreen mirror should be more flexible. The main thing is that it is not possible to move the mirror up the te top of the screen. So instead of switching on the virtual mirror and still having the real mirror but in black on the screen, why not making it possible to move the "mirror offset vertical" into "minus" so that we can place the real mirror where the virtual is placed or somewehere else.

Change of the topic to a free option to move the map all over the screen!

[DR] tomylee
And on a slightly different note, options for door mirror placement would be handy. You could move them inside the car a bit, set a narrow field of view and still see what's going on around you.
Quote from Hammerdown :And on a slightly different note, options for door mirror placement would be handy. You could move them inside the car a bit, set a narrow field of view and still see what's going on around you.

hmmm, FOV for the mirrors... seems an interesting idea.
I still don't understand what you see in the side mirrors that you don't see in the center mirror. It's the exact same image. If you can see it in the side, you can see it in the center.......

I agree that we need the center mirror to adjust up (negative value). It drives me crazy having a mirror stuck nearly in the center of my screen. The mirror is quite large at 60 degrees FOV or closer and takes up quite a lot of screen.
+1 for both!
Quote from mrodgers :I still don't understand what you see in the side mirrors that you don't see in the center mirror. It's the exact same image. If you can see it in the side, you can see it in the center.......

I agree that we need the center mirror to adjust up (negative value). It drives me crazy having a mirror stuck nearly in the center of my screen. The mirror is quite large at 60 degrees FOV or closer and takes up quite a lot of screen.

I didn't make it clear. You would also have to be able to adjust them so you could see people alongside, making up for the lack of peripheral vision afforded by a narrow FOV.
Quote from Hammerdown :I didn't make it clear. You would also have to be able to adjust them so you could see people alongside, making up for the lack of peripheral vision afforded by a narrow FOV.

I agree. A adjustment like in a real car (mirror angle) so that you can turn them more to the outside so that you will see other stuff as in the middle mirror
+1
Quote from mrodgers :I still don't understand what you see in the side mirrors that you don't see in the center mirror. It's the exact same image. If you can see it in the side, you can see it in the center.......

Not anymore, I think it was S2 when this changed, in S1 they all projected the same view, but now they are all slightly different.

What bothers me the most is that they still show WAY more than they should, we need to get an overlay on the center mirror so it doesn't show as much as it does now (showing the trunk of the car etc.).
Quote from XCNuse :Not anymore, I think it was S2 when this changed, in S1 they all projected the same view, but now they are all slightly different.

Really? Wow, so the guy who made the thread about different user names is using S1, hmmm.

Sorry, but it shows the exact same thing. The side mirrors show half of what the center mirror shows. If the car leaves the center, it will leave the side. Sorry reetp for borrowing your screenshot from your thread...

#10 - Davo

You already see too much in the mirrors you shouldn't see, well perhaps not too much but it's too clear with no wings or boots in the way. You can't move your exsiting cars mirror where you want it since it's glued to the windscreen so it's not realisitic being able to move the rear view where you want.
+1
exactly nighthawk, it shows the left side of the main mirror, in S1 they all showed the exact same thing. So yes, technically they do show different things.

@davo, you may not be able to movie it, but it certainly isn't halfway down my windshield I will add.
Ah, I see XC. So, you are saying in S1, the side mirrors showed the entire view of the center mirror....

FWIW, if your mirror in real life is attached to the windscreen with glue, couldn't you just break the bond and re glue it where ever you want to? I wouldn't think that is such a difficult thing to do. Thus, being able to move the mirror up would be realistic. I'll just break the virtual glue and virtually re glue it back on where I'd like.
In any car that I have owned so far (with the exception of a 91 VW golf GTI), you are able to move the mirror about an inch up and down and about half an inch to the sides.
Most modern rear view mirrors have a swivel ball that allows for this motion to happen.
#15 - wark
Quote from mrodgers :Really? Wow, so the guy who made the thread about different user names is using S1, hmmm.

Sorry, but it shows the exact same thing. The side mirrors show half of what the center mirror shows. If the car leaves the center, it will leave the side.

Side mirror in your SS obviously shows more top & bottom.

@ tomylee: +1! always bugged me!
Quote from gohfeld23 :In any car that I have owned so far (with the exception of a 91 VW golf GTI), you are able to move the mirror about an inch up and down and about half an inch to the sides.
Most modern rear view mirrors have a swivel ball that allows for this motion to happen.

That would be rotating the mirror to change the view angle for different sized drivers and different seat settings. That isn't moving the mirror up/down or side to side. The mirror in LFS is already set to the optimum angle to see behind you. It's just that it sits nearly in the middle of my 17 inch monitor view, which only shows a view out the windscreen without the dash, a-pillars, or any interior with my FOV.
I'm not talking about the adjustment of the mirror angle but rather a second ball joint right after the plate that is glued to the glass. I can more my mirror up, down, left and right aside from the normal angle motion.
I'll take a picture of my car's mirrior if people aren't sure what I mean.
Quote from Hammerdown :I didn't make it clear. You would also have to be able to adjust them so you could see people alongside, making up for the lack of peripheral vision afforded by a narrow FOV.

exactly, but Id rather do it with mirror width than FOV cause it wouldnt affect perception of the distance.
Quote from gohfeld23 :I'm not talking about the adjustment of the mirror angle but rather a second ball joint right after the plate that is glued to the glass. I can more my mirror up, down, left and right aside from the normal angle motion.
I'll take a picture of my car's mirrior if people aren't sure what I mean.

Nope, I fully understand what you mean now. I've never ever seen a mirror adjustable like that in a production car, which is why I posted. We seem to have different features and designs of vehicles over here than the rest of the world though, so perhaps a mirror adjustable like that is common outside of the US.
#20 - Woz
Quote from mrodgers :Nope, I fully understand what you mean now. I've never ever seen a mirror adjustable like that in a production car, which is why I posted. We seem to have different features and designs of vehicles over here than the rest of the world though, so perhaps a mirror adjustable like that is common outside of the US.

You don't tend to see this as much on modern cars as it probably costs that bit more to make.

My Mini mirror was attached to the car by a curved metal bar with a ball join at each end.
So was mine, but it was in just the wrong place, so I took it off and replaced it with a suction cup one that I can put where I want. It's only fallen off once!
right now you can move the mirror almost all over the sceen but not higher. First of all is there still space to the rof in some cars, so it would not be unrealistic. Then you have the virtual mirror. Actually you dont need the virtual mirror if you could move the rel one all over the screen.
And the main thing bothering me is that when I have the map on the ride side, it does cover my mirror and I cant see what's going on behind me.
The real mirrors vertical range was limited a while ago. It was because if you would move it higher it would go through the windscreen. The current highest position is the realistic position for the mirror, a height that a real cars mirror would be. I think the only reason for it to be adjustable in the first place is that you can move it lower and horizontally so that you can see it if you use low fov for example.
Quote from geeman1 :I think the only reason for it to be adjustable in the first place is that you can move it lower and horizontally so that you can see it if you use low fov for example.

Yes, I do use a low fov and the mirror is practically in the middle of my screen. I can not see the roof liner with my fov. I see about 2 inches of space between the top of my screen and the top of the mirror.
The problem is this one like in the picture. And there is even space to the roof for the mirror.
Maybe it would be even better an option to move the map over the whole screen
The map could be in the area of the glove compartment.
Attached images
FXR.jpg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG