The online racing simulator
MSI ATI 2900XT pictures
(30 posts, started )
MSI ATI 2900XT pictures
They are pretty big cards (should be the with of 2 PCI ports)
this size is pretty normal nowdays for highend cards.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from ethan520 :They are pretty big cards (should be the with of 2 PCI ports)

the what? my 7950GT is 2-high anyway
I like and is not very expensive, but I need some benchmarks.
Here is a review, supposedly ATI's flagship card can't even keep up with the 8800GTX that came out like 6 months ago. They need to "step up their game" if they want to stay in business. I guess they are putting most of their money on their midrange cards outselling NVIDIA's for their price to performance ratio.
It's a weird one. It outperforms them all in CoH, so I guess it's possible that was one of the titles they optimised the drivers for.

The biggest difference seems to be that it's performance doesn't really change much as you increase resolution, where the other ones seem to drop away a lot. I'll be saving my money for a while yet, I think.

Here's a scary thought:
The 8800GTX puts out an acceptible rate for Farcry at high resolution, but nothing noteworthy. What does that say about it's performance (or any of them) in Crysis when it finally comes out?
Bleh, Crysis can suck my chuddies anyway. I imagine chopping down trees with bullets will get old in five minutes and then you're left with another run-of-the-mill shooter.

Actually, now I've bought a 8800GTS 640Mb I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm going to use it for. There are precisely 0 games I'm interested in playing.
So what did you buy it for? Too much money?
#12 - Jakg
Quote from Dennisjr13 :Here is a review, supposedly ATI's flagship card can't even keep up with the 8800GTX that came out like 6 months ago. They need to "step up their game" if they want to stay in business. I guess they are putting most of their money on their midrange cards outselling NVIDIA's for their price to performance ratio.

yes, but at what price will the R600XTX sell at? if it undercuts then it fits into the "8700 512 Mb" Gap i've been looking for
Quote from Dennisjr13 :Here is a review, supposedly ATI's flagship card can't even keep up with the 8800GTX that came out like 6 months ago. They need to "step up their game" if they want to stay in business. I guess they are putting most of their money on their midrange cards outselling NVIDIA's for their price to performance ratio.

Thats probably fake one.
ASUS will be selling 2900XT together with Stalker.Why they would did that knowing the card cant even play it in decend way.I think they would make troubles themself and putting bad reputation.

If its true then it shows rather the drivers arent finished as sometimes the card is faster then 8800GTX and then sometimes a bit slower then 8800GTS 640MB.

At leats this card is good because it brings competition and NVIDIA will have to go with the prices a much lowert then now.

Lets wait for the 14/15th May when NDA end.
#14 - Jakg
No, because these are just imaginary R600's....

but the picture doesnt prove anything.I heard he was using very old drivers as he couldnt get to the newest one.Maybe he wanted due to this crew the reputation of ATI.I really dont know.Lest really wait for the 14&15th May when NDA end.
I can't look at him and not smile, he looks like a monkey .

Here are some more benchmarks. Whether you think they are fake or not, it's something to look at and compare until release.

Here is some info on what should be the price of one. Ewiz supposedly jumped the gun and put up the 2900XT until taking it down after they realized their mistake. $410 plus shipping isn't bad for what these recent benchmarks say come close to the 8800GTX.
Just stumbled apon the supposedly first DX10 demo. Its very short, though. Manages to be both impressive and not impressive at the same time- I guess that's something...
#19 - Jakg
Mr. Kar - look at the "Cascades" demo, all done with DX10 on one 8800GTX and it does it with virtually 0% CPU usage (all done on the GFX card)
Thanks Mr. Jakg- that was somewhat more impressive. Water physics being handled by the GPU sounds interesting (I took a flight of fancy and could just imagine water pouring out over the gutters at the BL pits on a stormy day, and then drying up later as the sun came out).

DX10 is starting to look pretty cool. I reckon S3 with all it's weather related yumminess should definitely consider some fancy DX10 effects. You know... atleast for Jimmy's sake.
#21 - Jakg
The DX10 demo from ATi is NOT for the public, it's for people who know a shed load about lighting effects etc to show what DX10 can do, they don't need to finish it, just show how many light sources it can show (or whatever) - of course they cba to use things called textures and as such it looks like crap to us.

Part of DX10 is moving load OFF the CPU (which is handy, seeing as the 8800GTX bottlenecks every stock CPU on the planet in a single-threaded environmnent)
I am going oof topic but you guys want S3 and DX10 even the current LFs is just DX8 and not even DX8.1 or DX9.Scawen wil have to do a lot of research for S3 updated 3D engine but i think DX9 is where he has to start.
Don't really want to get into the DX10 discussion all over again, but thinking about weather in LFS recently, the fact that S3 is probably some time away, and then seeing those nice DX10 demos featuring nice water physics and drying up puddles, the thought just naturally popped into my head. Remember, GTR2 did rain and stuff, and it was just horribly underwhelming. So why should Scawen simply play catch-up to that?
Well there are quite a few reviews floating around the web now after the release of the HD2900XT today, and from what I see, the results of 7 months more development than the G80 are pretty disappointing.

The card seems roughly on par with the 88000GTS, its competitor, however slightly more expensive. Onboard HDMI is a nice touch, but as reviews have said you cant but think ATI have just added that as another feature to make it seem better.

Now I guess we'll have to wait for better drivers, and dx10 benchmarking. Not a great day for ATI i guess
when looking across several games bechmarked on variours server this card seem to have now dodgy drivers.Sometimes its score even better then 8800Ultra sometimes equal with ATI X1950XT.This only shows that the card has so raw drivers that I cant alomost bealive it.

This is pretty dissapointing.Seem they had to change the architecture had to be chanded in last moths several times otherwise it cant explain the raw drivers.

At leats ATI put 399$/350 euro price otherwise the card would be total disaster.

MSI ATI 2900XT pictures
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG