The online racing simulator
Wireless Broadband in UK?
(5 posts, started )
Hi,

I currently live in Australia, but in about 2 weeks will be heading to the UK to live for 6 months.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get a (relatively) short term broadband connection?

Is wireless the best option? Is 3/3.5G too expensive?

I don't think I'll be in a position to get a landline.

Can anyone recommend a suitable ISP in the Shrewsbury area?

Thank you,

Sam.
There aren't many places which have companies which provide wireless broadband in the UK, right now unfortunately.

There are a few, such as MyNow, but I've never been in touch with them or used their services.

Unfortunately the UK is pretty backwards when it comes to internet access - both over phone or cable, or true wireless.

OFcom mandated that in 2007 "service-only" lines were supposed to be available (i.e. no voice, just broadband), at a reduced cost. I'm still yet to see these actually in existance though.

Data costs on mobile carriers are also ridiculously expensive.
The other problem will be trying to get a 6 month contract. Most of them are 12-18 months, and obviously you don't want to have to pay 6 months worth of fees at once when you leave again.

If you know the address or phone number of where you're going, try Broadband Checker to see if you can find a decent deal.
The 12month contracts are Get-Out-Of-able if you move abroad though....
#5 - Bean0
Entanet do a 1 month rolling contract, go through one of their resellers.
I'm with UKFSN.

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG