The online racing simulator
Biomechanics
(14 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
Biomechanics
[useless].
afaik the efficiency of a muscle is ~25% so from an engineering standpoint theyre crap
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : [useless]
Quote from Shotglass :afaik the efficiency of a muscle is ~25% so from an engineering standpoint theyre crap

And the efficiency of let's say an average petrol powered combustion engine is around 20% ( I think ).

Got a question for you: so with biomechanics, are you saying that instead of machines, use living organisms to get our work done? Just clearing it up.
-
-
Quote from Shotglass :
=> use electric engines which if you factor in the power plants should sit somewhere at around 50%

Yes, of course; there's even diesel engines that have efficiencies of about 50%.
-
Quote from CSU1 :You are all missing the point here, both diesel engines and petrol engines use petrolium?

Well, I mean electric motors could be using electricity NOT generated by non-renewable sources.

As for putting in food, and getting work done, the food would be better off going to the millions of people dying of hunger everyday IMO. And there's better sources of energy than food.

I have to say though, it's a very interesting idea and concept indeed.
-
Quote from CSU1 :I stand by my first point that show me a machine that can produce work in a more efficient way than bio tissue?

fission + electric motor
-
batteries if i have to ... still more efficient than muscles
besides you know what a horse weights and how little power it has in all those muscles ?
-
I don't see a problem with using batteries if the electricity is being produced from fission. Why is this a problem?

And Shotglass makes a good point, the size of the "muscles" needed to do any reasonably hard work would be quite enoumous.
-
#10 - J.B.
Quote from Shotglass :fission + electric motor

+111!!!!

I'm a bit surprised that the efficiency of a muscle is so poor. Would have thought that evolution would have optimized it more. In terms of efficiency electric motors are great though. And not only that: t3h rulage.

But biomechanics definatly can do some amazing stuff. For instance after over 100 years of aviation we are nowhere near being able to maneuver through the air as agile as a stupid fly.
For maximum efficiency, just get some antimatter and add matter of the same mass. The energy produced is the sum of their masses. Since:

E = mc^2

m = 1kg(matter) + 1kg(antimatter), c= 3*10^8

E = 1.8*10^17 Joules

Power, unlimited POWER!!!!!!

Muscles are amazing things. They do multiple duties, from structural support to enegry storage and recovery. One ability that renders all mechanical equilvalents obsolete is it's ability to adapt and heal. In fact, strength enhancing exercises work on the concept of overloading muscles in a controlled manner (without severe damage). The strain produces microtears that heal up with individual muscle fibers growing larger in parallel to increase strength. With eccentric damage (use of muscles as dampers say whne waling down a steep incline), muscles actually grow longer and tendons shorten and stiffen. This improves flexibilty, resistance to eccentric damage and improves response as the shorter and thicker tendons are stiffer, improving frequency response.

In fact, muscles are the most plastic organs in our bodies, followed closely by the brain with its ability to constantly reprogram itself.
Quote from J.B. :I'm a bit surprised that the efficiency of a muscle is so poor. Would have thought that evolution would have optimized it more.

run a few km and think again

Quote :In terms of efficiency electric motors are great though. And not only that: t3h rulage.

and they even can sound good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzk3fH1ItzY

Quote :But biomechanics definatly can do some amazing stuff. For instance after over 100 years of aviation we are nowhere near being able to maneuver through the air as agile as a stupid fly.

the upshot is our airplanes actually go somewhere rather than spending hours crashing into windows
also helis are able to do some amazing stuff (obviously in comparison to a fly theyre limited by their weight though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJXKJ9fsLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsl4GOFAp4
Quote from CSU1 :Why are people jumping on the fission waggon? it wont happen because its not safe to have people near fission or fission refill stations etc. etc.

Just wait until somebody unlocks the secret of cold FUSION...then we will have unlimited CLEAN, FREE (almost!) energy!

As for BIOmechanics, run your car on chip oil...thats 'food'!
My Pc is Powered by a hamster in a wheel i think

that count?

ooh now thats an idea 200 hamsters, a dynamo, and an electric motor.. Would that count as Biomechanics? hehe

On a Serious note though, I think the car of the future will be Hydrocell (honda already proved the concept), or am i missing the point of this discussion like i normaly do? hehe

Biomechanics
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG