The online racing simulator
To be honest I think something like a companion/likes-or-dislikes list, whereby you set the sort of races you want to have, and then let it find people who want similar sorts of races would be more of what you're after, from reading your posts?
I like the STCC system and while I don't (any more) think it should be a mandatory part of LFS, I would like it to be more visible to beginners. I had been playing LFS for well over a year before I found it. It revolutionised my very narrow view of LFS (must get a better lap time at BLGP in the fox) It would be nice if there was an option within the GUI to join or not join an LFS endorsed progression system. Some people can race endlessly for no other reward than getting a good position. I think anything that makes you want to overtake the guy in front more has to be a good thing. In real life there is a whole lot of motivation to get a better position. In LFS there is more points towards that next license. I know it's a fictional prize...but it's a fictional race environment! Some guy got his gold license the other night. He was clearly over the moon and other racers were congratulating him. I liked that.

Well done Becky and co. Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.
Quote from goode400 :I would like it to be more visible to beginners. I had been playing LFS for well over a year before I found it.

Looking at your join date, you'd been playing LFS for well over a year before it existed.
The STCC system is great and It's added a whole new dimention to the game for me. I don't think it should be 'implemented' into LFS simply because it already is!

We just need a few more servers to crop-up with a similar system, kinda like different governing bodies! they could use their own points/licencing system or share with others.

It's not something that the devs should need to worry about, so far Scawen's done a blinding job of making this sort of thing possible. It's now up to the community to make something of the tools we've been given.
stcc system is already a part of LFS. everyone who wants to race there is free to do so. every league who wants to use the requirement of a e.g. silver license for inscription can do as well.

i don't see the point to have it on ALL servers. the stcc servers are mainly for circuit racing. a high license on circuit will tell you nothing about drag, oval, drift, banger, cruise skills. however it will tell you something about the racing behavior of that person and of course it will teach you general racing manners and rules.

i am not sure if all of you remember, there was a point system in lfs included which was deleted after patch S??? because it was pointless.

i even think, expanding the system to all servers will downgrade the quality of the license itself because you can just setup a server and exploit the system by doing your own races and pushing people. e.g. setup that server take your team on the road and race against each other. sooner or later you will find out how to get the most points in the least time and then the system will be pointless again.

the stcc system is a great thing like it is now. it adds a lot of competition and quality to lfs. why decrease the quality by increase the amount of servers?
ok after wading through way too many personal arguments in this thread can I just point somethign out?

THE TOPIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've only just discovered the STCC servers within the last three days, and I bloody love it.

Having fallen back into LFS after a brief stay in TDUland, I randomly jumped onto an STCC server and was hooked straight away. The level of racing is bang on for what I'm after, and I've noticed my driving skill has risen already.

Managed to get my Bronze in two nights, and was quite happy about it. I went from being a backmarker on the UF1 server, to running with the front of the pack.

But, I don't think it should be forced upon people. It's not for everyone. But I would, and already have, recommend it to friends as a good way to hone their skills and have a cracking racing experience while they do. Even my "Pfft, gimme a BF1!" mate is hooked now.
Quote from Syfoon : I went from being a backmarker on the UF1 server, to running with the front of the pack.

Now now...let's not exaggerate...j/k
'ere, easy!

I'm not as quick as you, but I'm half way there!

Cheeky git
I don't want to see this implemented in LFS. as brilliant as it is I can't be bothered to drive one car for months trying to progress. If you've noticed I'm still at bronze. I really want to drive FXO on a STCC server but I can't becuase of my lisence. But thats OK becuase I can just go offline or on another server and drive the FXO. in other words most people want to drive a certin car and they want to drive it now. thats why the credit system of S1 was scrapped.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I don't want to see this implemented in LFS. as brilliant as it is I can't be bothered to drive one car for months trying to progress. If you've noticed I'm still at bronze. I really want to drive FXO on a STCC server but I can't becuase of my lisence. But thats OK becuase I can just go offline or on another server and drive the FXO. in other words most people want to drive a certin car and they want to drive it now. thats why the credit system of S1 was scrapped.

It's not so much about what car you get to drive when, but rather who you get to drive alongside. The SRA promotes good, clean driving. And that's exactly what you get. While you don't get a full guarantee of that, you can be fairly confident in other people not to annihilate you out of the race.

It's a common misconception among copper and bronze licensed racers that the silver server is more of the same, but it really isn't; It's in a whole other league!
Quote from Tokartta :It's not so much about what car you get to drive when, but rather who you get to drive alongside. The SRA promotes good, clean driving. And that's exactly what you get. While you don't get a full guarantee of that, you can be fairly confident in other people not to annihilate you out of the race.

Ahh yes, just like all of our (and many other) servers have from day dot. Like it takes STCC for this to happen :rolleyes:

Difference being most just go with it... they don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops for attention

Regards,

Ian
The racing I've been doing lately was on the STCC servers. Why? Because they were full with racers

Also I kinda like the slower intense fights with the UF1 and can still be amazed by the feel of that little car and the difference setups make.
I'm not the quickest and not the slowest but enjoy a good clean fight and it's been my experience that the racing is very reasonable. Of course I get hit and used as a brake, but it does not bother me at all and actually is really rare. There's always a next race where I can try again to survive the first couple of corners I just tag along at the back and learn the circuit, because it's probably another one I haven't driven on before

That's one thing I really like about the STCC servers. The fact there is a lot of racing because of the auto restarts and the switching of circuits and even # of laps. It makes it a refreshing and 'new' experience everytime I'm on there.

So there is a part of me that really would like to have a couple of these things as a standard server option in LFS (if they aren't already).
I agree however that the credits/licencing system is not for everyone. You should be able to drive all cars/circuits in my opinion if you want to do that.
It would be nice to have it included in a server version where you can activate it if you are so willing, but it should be off by default.
I know that I'd like to use it if I were to run a server and I don't know a thing myself about programming, so I could never create such a thing myself.

Are there any plans to make it (partially) available?
Quote from Ian.H :Ahh yes, just like all of our (and many other) servers have from day dot. Like it takes STCC for this to happen :rolleyes:

Difference being most just go with it... they don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops for attention

That's a bit unfair imo. Yes you can have it on other servers, but the STCC servers are the one's that are full at the times when I race and the others are sparsely populated. I like a race with as many drivers as possible.

Since such a huge part of the people are apparently driving there, it is reasonable that it is often talked about. Are Becky and SamH the ones starting all STCC threads? I do not believe so, but it is normal that they respond to threads about 'their' servers.

Yes, STCC gets a lot of attention, but currently I think it is most used, so a result of that.

When patch X arrives and Becky is still unable to update (btw good luck with the jobhunting!!!!) STCC will fall away and people will race on other servers again. It's not even said that when STCC returns (There is no IF ) that they'd still get the same attention. I expect so, because apparently the progression has some extra appeal at the moment. For us not racing in leagues there is a reasonable standard of racing to be had with a bit more satisfaction than just that 4th place (as if I ever place that high ) in that one race.

I suck at RWD car driving, so hopefully patch X will change a bit of that (I have serious doubts, ... really.. serious....) and because of STCC I want to start trying to get to grips with them and improve overall. There is no real incentive for me to do that just on any server and I realize this is a personal motivation issue. If STCC does motivate me to become a better overall racer, than we can respect STCC for that if nothing else. It gives a part of the LFS community apparently more motivation to drive there than at other places. You do not have to like it, but these people will drive on other servers too eventually and make that experience better, just because they are better trained.

All in all win-win.
Quote from AeoIus :That's a bit unfair imo. Yes you can have it on other servers, but the STCC servers are the one's that are full at the times when I race and the others are sparsely populated. I like a race with as many drivers as possible.

It used to be better. I know at least one of our servers was all but full every night and had a good reputation for being a clean place to race as there was an admin present almost 24/7.. but our team is far from the only ones who actually regulate their servers.

Quote :Since such a huge part of the people are apparently driving there, it is reasonable that it is often talked about. Are Becky and SamH the ones starting all STCC threads? I do not believe so, but it is normal that they respond to threads about 'their' servers.

Not denying that, and in no way trying to "compete".. just get the impression that when it is spoken about (in reply) that it's the best thing since sliced bread

Quote :Yes, STCC gets a lot of attention, but currently I think it is most used, so a result of that.

Highly disagree there.

Quote :When patch X arrives and Becky is still unable to update (btw good luck with the jobhunting!!!!) STCC will fall away and people will race on other servers again. It's not even said that when STCC returns (There is no IF ) that they'd still get the same attention. I expect so, because apparently the progression has some extra appeal at the moment. For us not racing in leagues there is a reasonable standard of racing to be had with a bit more satisfaction than just that 4th place (as if I ever place that high ) in that one race.

I suck at RWD car driving, so hopefully patch X will change a bit of that (I have serious doubts, ... really.. serious....) and because of STCC I want to start trying to get to grips with them and improve overall. There is no real incentive for me to do that just on any server and I realize this is a personal motivation issue. If STCC does motivate me to become a better overall racer, than we can respect STCC for that if nothing else. It gives a part of the LFS community apparently more motivation to drive there than at other places. You do not have to like it, but these people will drive on other servers too eventually and make that experience better, just because they are better trained.

All in all win-win.

I just don't see how it differs to other servers except on other servers, you're not limited to a specific (set of) car(s) until you get enough points ( is this a sim or arcade?).

No doubt many people do like that (yet most seemed to want the exact same thing removed from single player ) but saying people who drive on STCC servers will make a better experience on other servers is hilarious! Think of the people like Rudi, Eza, other good drivers (good as in both fast and have racing etiquette) that have been around since before STCC was even a thought.. it's the "high and mighty" attitude (see 'sliced bread' comment above) like you're assuming here that I find funny, personally.

Regards,

Ian
Can we get back on topic please.

On second thoughts, this thread has more than run its course, and it's just going to wander off topic constantly.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG