The online racing simulator
Realistic Shifter + wheel settings - G25
Hello blokes,

I've just purchased the G25 and it is fantastic. Great to see it is fully supported by LFS as well.

But now I have a bit of a dilemma as to which shifter and wheel settings to use for each car. My aim is to use the most realistic or accurate settings for each car.

At the moment, I am using:

For road cars: 720deg, H-pattern shift w/clutch

For GTR: 540deg, Sequential shift w/clutch (do these cars use the clutch on changes? Do they have paddle shifters?)

For FOX and FO8: 450deg, sequential shift w/clutch (do these cars use the clutch on changes? Do they have paddle shifters?)

For BF1: 400deg, paddle shift no clutch

Does this sound about right? I suppose the only cars I'm a bit unsure of are the GTRs, the FOX and the FO8.
I always got a kick out of using the H-pattern shifter with the BF1.
#3 - XsX!
just set wheel to 900 degrees in logitech panel, and then in game 900 degrees too, with, if i remember well, wheel compensation to 1.
doing that, each car will have the right steer ratio
#4 - Jakg
Quote from MorpheusZero :I always got a kick out of using the H-pattern shifter with the BF1.

how did you do that, seeing as you can't use the h-gate on the BF1?
Quote from XsX! :just set wheel to 900 degrees in logitech panel, and then in game 900 degrees too, with, if i remember well, wheel compensation to 1.
doing that, each car will have the right steer ratio

But then I won't have the FFB 'stop' kicking in at full lock. I think it is probably better (although more time-consuming) to change the max. lock in the logitech panel for each car.

And isn't wheel turn compensation 0 fully linear and 1 non-linear?
#6 - Woz
Quote from sam1600 :But then I won't have the FFB 'stop' kicking in at full lock. I think it is probably better (although more time-consuming) to change the max. lock in the logitech panel for each car.

And isn't wheel turn compensation 0 fully linear and 1 non-linear?

1 is non-linear unless the lock of the wheel is greater than the lock of the car when you get a 1:1 ratio of wheel turn to in game wheel turn.

You are right that you dont get the hard end stops but TBH I never notice this so might be the G25FF is good enough to simulate end stop.

I set mine to 720 for my g25 then I get hard stops on all the road cars.

BTW, you can use a tool called DXTweak to have the clutch operate correctly. I have mine set so I have a small travel with no effect then the next 1/3 of travel is the clutch axis and the rest of travel does nothing. This also helps with miss shifts
Thanks for you post, Woz.

To summarise: 720deg in the logitech panel with wheel turn comp. of 1 in LFS will give perfectly linear steering and a 1:1 real-wheel-to-virtual-wheel steer ratio. Have I got that right?

In what way does the clutch not operate correctly?

Once we get all the correct information together, I will try to collate it all into a G25 for LFS setup guide (unless someone has done it already! Please post links if so).
Quote from Jakg :how did you do that, seeing as you can't use the h-gate on the BF1?

I was wondering that as well, until I tried it and it worked. That was back when I had the G25 late last year, they've probably fixed it since then.
Quote from MorpheusZero :I was wondering that as well, until I tried it and it worked. That was back when I had the G25 late last year, they've probably fixed it since then.

It was changed in V (or in the U test patches) IIRC.
Well, like I said. It was entertaining while it lasted.

Shifter probably hates me for it though.
#11 - Woz
Quote from sam1600 :Thanks for you post, Woz.

To summarise: 720deg in the logitech panel with wheel turn comp. of 1 in LFS will give perfectly linear steering and a 1:1 real-wheel-to-virtual-wheel steer ratio. Have I got that right?

Yep

Quote from sam1600 : In what way does the clutch not operate correctly?

A clutch pedal IRL only does something over a small range of the travel. In LFS it covers the entire pedal travel. You will find you miss a lot of shifts because you dont have the clutch fully in.

I tweak it to only do something in a small range as IRL
Great, thanks again Woz.

Do you or anyone else know what the most realistic gear/clutch settings would be on the FOX, FO8 and GTR? I know that they are technically not real cars, but I'm assuming that they are based on an F3, F3000 and FIA GT. Do these cars use paddle shifters, sequential sticks or H-pattern shifters? Is the clutch used for downshifts only, or all the time?
Quote from Woz :A clutch pedal IRL only does something over a small range of the travel. In LFS it covers the entire pedal travel. You will find you miss a lot of shifts because you dont have the clutch fully in.

I tweak it to only do something in a small range as IRL

I do that by callibrating it on only that small range. I hold the pedal at wich I want the clutch the disengage, I press recallibrate, I push it a little further and switch on the callibration lock. But DXTweak can do that too of course.
Quote from sam1600 :Great, thanks again Woz.

Do you or anyone else know what the most realistic gear/clutch settings would be on the FOX, FO8 and GTR? I know that they are technically not real cars, but I'm assuming that they are based on an F3, F3000 and FIA GT. Do these cars use paddle shifters, sequential sticks or H-pattern shifters? Is the clutch used for downshifts only, or all the time?

FOX and FO8 probably have paddles. GTRs could have a full manual (clutch + h-shifter) or some sequential stick system, depending on the car you compare them to.
Quote from geeman1 :FOX and FO8 probably have paddles. GTRs could have a full manual (clutch + h-shifter) or some sequential stick system, depending on the car you compare them to.

Nah, GTRs don't have H-shifter, they're using sequential transmission
Quote from keithano :Nah, GTRs don't have H-shifter, they're using sequential transmission

Based on what?
The GTRs in LFS do have H-gate shifters.
Quote from sam1600 :But then I won't have the FFB 'stop' kicking in at full lock.

This was suggested in the Improvements Section here in the Forum. I think it´s the last thing we need to say we have 100% DFP / G25 Support
To be honest, that FFB lock is pretty useless. Usually when steering that far, LFS already generates such high forces that reaching the stop yields no noticeable change in force, so you just go over it anyway.
^^ Yep. Plus I rarely even reach the soft lock stops unless I'm already out of control, so during normal racing it may as well not exist.
Quote from sam1600 :Once we get all the correct information together, I will try to collate it all into a G25 for LFS setup guide (unless someone has done it already! Please post links if so).

This would be good
Quote from sam1600 :Great, thanks again Woz.

- XRR and FZR are specs wise closer to former JGTC cars and by the looks of both cars, they look like few years old. I'd say H-manual or sequential simply depending how old you like to see them. In any case paddles are out of the question
- FXR is very similar to DTM Opel 2000-2003 except being AWD, so definitely sequential.
- XFR, maybe sequential. UFR without a doubt H-shifter, as it's like home-built race car based on UF1.

And yes, as far as I know most modern GT cars use clutch only for downshifting.

And remember that all cars in LFS practically has H-manual, because there's no simulation for sequential gearboxes yet. Apparently when/if that ever happens, Scawen decides what car uses what kind of gearbox.
The F1 and F08 obviously use Paddle Shifters, but there are still quite some F2000 cars (FOX) used that have H-type kind of shifting with clutching when shifting.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG