The online racing simulator
Season Rules Discussion
These are the rules from last season. lets improve them for this up coming season

Disconnection
If you lose connection after lap 5 you can rejoin and finish the race pitstop is not Mandatory. If you lose connection between lap 0 - 5 you can rejoin and finish you must pit before lap 45
You must cross finish line to receive points

Race Restarts
Can only be done by race control if they consider it to be a unfair start
eg 50% of drivers crash
during Lap 1 only
Vote restart is not aloud

Pitting
Must Pit between lap 5 - 45
Failing to do so will result in penalty
Must keep in between yellow lines at all times

Flags
  • Yellow Flag: Caution Crash ahead, avoid overtaking until track is clear. Failing to do this safely will result in a penalty
  • Blue Flag: Drivers that are a lap down or receive the blue flag. Please pull over to the side of the track, safely letting the cars behind you by. It is suggest that you indicate to which side of the track you are going. Failing to do this safely will result in a penalty
Track Cutting
If you cut the track to give you a time advantage you will be warned if you continue to do so you will be disqualified from the race

Resets
only use resets when there is no other way to continue and when no others drivers will be infected in any way.

Chatting
There should be no chatting in Qualifying or Race
If you need to talk to Race control contact them through teamspeak
or only contact them in game if its a emergency.
#2 - Davo
Here are my opinions on the rules.

I think once you disconnect, race over. Sorry but people will abuse this just to get points they don't deserve. Think of it as a mechanical failure and you're car is out.

Race should never be restarted. This will promote better behaviiour on lap 1 since there's no chance of a restart.

Who's going to enforce no crossing yellow lines? You'd have to watch the whole replay sitting on pitlane. If you cause an incident entering or leaving pitlane then you are at fault always would be a better rule. Upto drivers to report to tribunal.

Overtaking on yellow, again who is going to enforce this? Guess it ouwld have to be upto the driver to report this.

Everyone should know how to handle blue flags, indicating etc is too distracting, this isn't some cruise server. If there is some contact it should be reviewed to see who was at fault but both cars should be aware when lapping. No barging past or blocking. Again upto the driver to report an incident.

With the new patches it resets the whole car, fixes damage and gives you fresh tyres. Land on your roof or get stuck. Race over. Perhaps you could introduce a pace car and a tow car to pull people out of sand traps.

Lag. At anytime, before practice, during practcie or during qual if anyone mentions lag another server should be found and tested for no lag. If the cuase of lag is a driver, he should be asked to leave and fix the connection by stopping downloads etc. If the problem can't be fixed then they miss out because it ruins the race for everyone else.

Gona love this one. No bringing up racing incidents in the public forum. Report all protests to the admin/tribunal within 24 hours of race finishing with as much detail as possible.
Quote from Arrow. :Track Cutting
If you cut the track to give you a time advantage you will be warned if you continue to do so you will be disqualified from the race

Define "cut" please, so we can have a common understanding of this.

Quote from Arrow. :Chatting
There should be no chatting in Qualifying or Race
If you need to talk to Race control contact them through teamspeak
or only contact them in game if its a emergency.

"Should" suggest you can if needed - and we saw in previous season that there was too much chat. It should instead be "No chatting... " (at all) - execpt quali - I don't think its too important to keep it clean, as drivers can block messages without worrying about messages from the admins.

Quote from Davo :
I think once you disconnect, race over. Sorry but people will abuse this just to get points they don't deserve. Think of it as a mechanical failure and you're car is out.

I see you point, but I don't think it would be necessary if admins were more observant about what goes on on the tracks - it doesn't really have to be during the race either, but the should be hard, but accordantly.

I don't think there are too many who abuses this, and why should the majority then have to suffer when they had put down time to prep for the event?

Quote from Davo :
Race should never be restarted. This will promote better behaviiour on lap 1 since there's no chance of a restart.

Never restart except for extreme situations (like big time server lag) = +1 from me.

Quote from Davo :
With the new patches it resets the whole car, fixes damage and gives you fresh tyres. Land on your roof or get stuck. Race over. Perhaps you could introduce a pace car and a tow car to pull people out of sand traps.

This sounds very interesting and could add what we miss nearly every time a pace car gets out - however lame it may seem, I think it could still be a cool thing:

A driver lands on his roof (for example) - pace car gets deployed along with a tow car (a random car obviously - but deployed with the pace car since it can't really deploy from somewhere else on the track). The tow car pushes the wrecked car off the track while the pace car keeps going on the track till tow car is done. After both the tow and the wrecked car are safetly away from track, they shift+s and pace car enters the pits.

Far from perfect, but worth a shot

Quote from Davo :
Lag. At anytime, before practice, during practcie or during qual if anyone mentions lag another server should be found and tested for no lag. If the cuase of lag is a driver, he should be asked to leave and fix the connection by stopping downloads etc. If the problem can't be fixed then they miss out because it ruins the race for everyone else.

I agree with missing out the race if a driver lags, but other than that this could easily be more abused that the re-join rule/option. Some ppl are more sensitive to lag than others even though it isn't really that bad for them, so in case they truly believe the lag is an issue (but it isn't - they are just too sensitive about it), it would just delay things and annoy everyone.

Quote from Davo :
Gona love this one. No bringing up racing incidents in the public forum. Report all protests to the admin/tribunal within 24 hours of race finishing with as much detail as possible.

I agree, however - when needed both parties should be able to tell their side of the story - it probably wont happen allot, but should be considered rather than blindly assuming anything.
Quote from r4ptor :Define "cut" please, so we can have a common understanding of this.

Agreed is a cut the complete cut of the corner (take fe chicances you can completly straight line them on grass) or do you count all 4 wheels over the white line cutting?

Quote :Never restart except for extreme situations (like big time server lag) = +1 from me.

Agreed also but there has to be more leway than just lag as you can obviously end up with 90% of the field taken out due to one person's mistake. If you look at real life racing, the races are stopped and restarted, usually allowing the switch to spare cars.

Some kind of safety car i think would be good as simulates real life better but as we don't have a way to tow car's, or roll them back to the right way up etc then some thought needs to be taken into how will the safety car be used.

Lag/disconnect issue - If the person disconnect then comes back 30 laps later, no their result should not count. If the person lags out for whatever reason but instantly rejoins and completes whole race then could be a thought to let their postion stand.

Quote from Davo :Gona love this one. No bringing up racing incidents in the public forum. Report all protests to the admin/tribunal within 24 hours of race finishing with as much detail as possible.

Quote from r4ptor :I agree, however - when needed both parties should be able to tell their side of the story - it probably wont happen allot, but should be considered rather than blindly assuming anything.

Well my thought on reporting incidents could be - No discussion on forum's (not public ones anyway) about the incident but if a driver makes a complaint against another (in this example ill complain about you r4ptor) then i would complain and voice my opinion in private to whoever is being the steward, then on the forum could post up "complaint made by Greboth against r4ptor, lap 30" or even by pm so that then r4ptor could voice his opinion. This way it would keep it all private while allowing the discussion of and deliberation of the incident.
#5 - arco
About this track cutting thing, and staying between the lines... is this something that's enforced in real racing? I can't remember ever seeing something like that in real races. That would mean like if someone in WRC hit a stone and went off the road, they weren't allowed to carry on? Or someone in F1 did a spin in one corner and went onto the grass they couldn't continue? And this nonsense of staying between the lines on the track... You would need to watch the replay with each and every driver all through to make sure they did. Imo the track is there to be used, and enforcing these "stay between the lines" and "track cutting" rules will just result in people trying to add to their own advantage by filing a protest against every little silly thing. (Just ask Kaw about the Danish Championship.)
Quote from arco :About this track cutting thing, and staying between the lines... is this something that's enforced in real racing? I can't remember ever seeing something like that in real races. That would mean like if someone in WRC hit a stone and went off the road, they weren't allowed to carry on? Or someone in F1 did a spin in one corner and went onto the grass they couldn't continue? And this nonsense of staying between the lines on the track... You would need to watch the replay with each and every driver all through to make sure they did. Imo the track is there to be used, and enforcing these "stay between the lines" and "track cutting" rules will just result in people trying to add to their own advantage by filing a protest against every little silly thing. (Just ask Kaw about the Danish Championship.)

It obviously inforced in rally or when someone crashes or spins. It is however enforced during racing. Brands hatch is a good example coming out of T1 people run wide but they do penalise some racing (depends on each set of rules) for going over the white line while racing. In lfs the best example i can think ois the last left hander at bl1 which goes on to start/finish straight as everyone goes really far right over the white line.
How to enforce it in sim racing i dont know, maybe with the new patch could have an official watching one place each watching people come round. Depends how the rule of cutting is defined though.
or you could just upload a layout with a marshal zone there. but in any case, it's a waste of space.
Quote from BenjiMC :or you could just upload a layout with a marshal zone there. but in any case, it's a waste of space.

Yeah and get it like CLC so that we lose our car as soon as we hit that zone
Quote from BenjiMC :or you could just upload a layout with a marshal zone there. but in any case, it's a waste of space.

Would it really work though as if you got tapped and run a little wider or tighter then you could get pitted or spectated for an accident which you could onf continued racing from.

Quote from r4ptor ::elefant:

Z0MG!!!! TeH r4ptorz spa/\/\m3R! Got to beat you anyway possible
How about this

Disconnection
If you disconnect or lose connection you are unable to rejoin the race
You must cross finish line to receive points

Race Restarts
Can only be done by race control if they consider it to be a unfair or dangerous start
eg 50% of drivers crash or high level of lag
Restarts can only a cure in lap 1
Vote restarting is not aloud

Pitting
Must Pit between lap 5 - 45enter and exit the pits safely there should be no contact
No Pitting will result in DNP, 0 pointsFlags
  • Yellow Flag: Caution Crash ahead, avoid overtaking until track is clear. Failing to do this safely will result in a penalty
  • Blue Flag: Drivers that are a lap down or receive the blue flag. Please pull over to the side of the track, safely letting the cars behind you by. It is suggest that you indicate to which side of the track you are going. Failing to do this safely will result in a penalty
Track Cutting
Cutting track in order to gain a time advantage is not acceptable
will result in a penalty

Resets
Are not to be used. if you cannot continue driving thats the end of your race

Chatting
Only Chatting in Practise is acceptable
Chatting in qualifying should be kept to a minimum
Chatting during race is strictly prohibited
Jodging a Complaint
If you would like to jodge a complain please pm me
player names:
Lap:
Race Time:
What happened:
The complaint will be forwarded the the tribunal board they will come to a conclusion on a penalty. From there the decision is final

What do you think of something like this, of course needs to be worded better
#12 - Davo
Sounds good. Everyone should know the clean racers club rules btu you might want to link to them too.

I tihnk you mean lodge a complaint instead of jodge
Rules are looking better and better! Any idea about the structure and schedule of the coming season?
Those rules sound fair and removes most of the complaints from last season such as rejoining
Define cutting, do you mean 2 wheels over is ok like at FE chicanes or do you mean not a wheel over any lines ever?

I'm also thinking of doing driver swaps on all those 2 hour races we've got lined up
What are the rules re driver swapping? & how many represent in each event?
Quote from Arrow. :
[/B][/U]Must Pit between lap 5 - 45
[I]Failing to do so will result in penalty
Must keep in between yellow lines at all times

Why do you have to be inside the lines when you're going into the pits? They don't have this rule in F1.
#18 - Kaw
Quote from MyBoss :Why do you have to be inside the lines when you're going into the pits? They don't have this rule in F1.

Because it could cause a crash if you dont, and to be on the safe side.

And this aint F1
#19 - Jakg
those rules sound fairly affable - for cutting, do you count the kerb as part of the track or not, though?
"There should be no chatting in Qualifying or Race"

Please change that to "... no chatting allowed during race" - I personally don't care much about quali, as long blocking is allowed in it.
Quote from r4ptor :- I personally don't care much about quali, as long blocking is allowed in it.

Err no, imo that is not a good idea. Getting blocked on your flying lap is incredibly annoying :arge:. Also teams could send out a driver purposely to block an opposing teams quali driver, its gona cause arguments. Intentional blocking should not be allowed during qualifying.
antt, I'm pretty sure he meant by blocking as blocking the messages, not blocking the fellow driver
:elefant:
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
:doh:
Quote from speedway :about cutting....i do agree that cutting shouldnt be allowed and maybe even made impossible by creating a layout on "demands for cutting"-corners (e.g. the chicane when leaving the oval on ky3) .... this shouldnt be done in such an extreme way as on ctra servers though

also, imo curbs are part of the track and should be allowed to be used

Problem with the layout is that it punishes people who don't deserve to be punished. Take your example of ky3 chicane, If I am braking and the person behind brakes a little late, runs into the back of me then I possibly wont be able to make the corner and run into the anti cutting objects.
Curbs shouldn't be counted as cutting IMO.

AFAIK all the tracks in lfs have the white line around the edge, so maybe off track should count as in if 3 wheels or more are over the white line is off the track and result in a penalty. This allows curbs to be used as only 2 wheels will cross the line while removing cutting and using parts that are not the track. The problem comes though of how to enforce the rule while keeping it fair to people who cross the lines due to circumstances.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG