The online racing simulator
Farbrausch 177 KB Demo
(14 posts, started )
Farbrausch 177 KB Demo
I'm completely speechless after watching this.......... :cry:

It's a few Years ago i last watched one of these Demos. Back then all you could see where some Cubes flying around and basic Lightning Effects.
But this is new one is.........WOW!

LINK
#2 - C40Z
jeah dude the farbrausch demos are very very nice "coding rules"

greetz caoz
Anyone remembers this 64 kb ?
Link

Fantastic stuff
After this I have to wonder how in the world normal games today needs 5 GB of space...
Because the Farbrausch uses scripted movement, and the most annoying thing was that all the debris had absolutely no physics they just fell through everything. I mean if they had proper physics attached it would have been at least 5-6mb in size and no way it would have ran on my AMD 3200+.
Ah yes, the tiny demos with astonishing graphics

Unfortunately, as amazing they are, they are equally useless in terms of usability in real games. What happens there is, that all the game logic, graphics engine, textures, models and events are basically reduced to formulas creating the content. While the demo is running, the tiny amount of 170KB formulas will generate several hundred megabytes of content, stored in the RAM. This is also the reason they "load" so long, because actually they're creating the content on the fly while "loading". Nice to play around with, but far to slow and static for real games.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
nice to see fr going more towards effects rather than 3ds playback these days

Quote from AndroidXP :Unfortunately, as amazing they are, they are equally useless in terms of usability in real games. What happens there is, that all the game logic, graphics engine, textures, models and events are basically reduced to formulas creating the content. While the demo is running, the tiny amount of 170KB formulas will generate several hundred megabytes of content, stored in the RAM. This is also the reason they "load" so long, because actually they're creating the content on the fly while "loading". Nice to play around with, but far to slow and static for real games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ... ideo_game%29#Technologies
Will Wright names the demoscene as a major influence on Spore,[3] which is largely based on procedural content generation developed by many demoscene veterans.

also most older games in the times of limited disk spaces used these techniques

Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :And 64K is actually quite a big application (when you code in asm).

most demos are largely coded in c nowerdays

Quote :the textures and sound samples are usually the biggest space consumers.

according to ryg the code makes up about half the size of a 64k
Quote from deggis :After this I have to wonder how in the world normal games today needs 5 GB of space...

me 2

Quote from AndroidXP :Ah yes, the tiny demos with astonishing graphics

Unfortunately, as amazing they are, they are equally useless in terms of usability in real games. What happens there is, that all the game logic, graphics engine, textures, models and events are basically reduced to formulas creating the content. While the demo is running, the tiny amount of 170KB formulas will generate several hundred megabytes of content, stored in the RAM. This is also the reason they "load" so long, because actually they're creating the content on the fly while "loading". Nice to play around with, but far to slow and static for real games.

yea? check my attachement
(FYI its a game which isnt even 100kb big)
Attached files
kkrieger-beta.zip - 98.2 KB - 101 views
Quote from deggis :After this I have to wonder how in the world normal games today needs 5 GB of space...

because in normal games its unacceptable to wait 10 minutes for the rather simple tiled textures to load
the bigger problem is the freedom.... everything is generated procedurally, so you cant "just" change a few pixels here and there in a texture...
These demos look impressive.. I was actually more impressed by some old demos.. I mean we have 2ghz+ with plenty of 3D power at our disposal.

There are a few demos designed to run on a C64. The C64 had a 2mhz cpu! Really a piece of crap..

http://www.c64.ch/demos/list.php?source=topdownloaded

the top one there should run on emulators.. ah well youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;mode=related&search=

the smoothness of animation.. the actual display.. on such a CRAP 1980 console? Very very impressive, technically that is, can't stand the music.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :There are a few demos designed to run on a C64. The C64 had a 2mhz cpu! Really a piece of crap..

1 mhz actually ... if you had an american one
oh and its not a console its a pc
bah!

Farbrausch 177 KB Demo
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG