The online racing simulator
Wheel rotation ?
(27 posts, started )
Wheel rotation ?
I was wondering if the "pro" players that play LFS use less degrees in rotation...

So for example, the FOX is about 450 degrees right ?

Do the fast guys use about 200 degrees on their wheel to make it easy to control the car ? Or do you use 450 as it is in the game, to match your wheel to the game ?

Thanks for letting me know !
Quote from denizen : Do the fast guys use about 200 degrees on their wheel to make it easy to control the car ?

Yes they do. It's faster to have less rotation so there is bound to be some people who use it. It's a question of do you want to be realistic or faster.
No doubt the car is more controlable with less rotation whether it is faster i dont know. I found for me in xrt i am faster with 720 degrees but less consistant due to a small mistake can and usually ends up in flailing arms of doom.
#4 - Ian.H
Not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but used to use 270 for everything (I like "quick racks") but recently changed that to run at 720. Took / taking some getting used to obviously, but finding it quite enjoyable even if I do have to semi-learn to drive again

I only drive tintops (and mainly the road cars) so it sits at 720 for everything.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Greboth :No doubt the car is more controlable with less rotation whether it is faster i dont know.

It depends on the track. Tight corners are the biggest threat when using big rotations. On tracks with not very tight corners you don't probably lose much. But tight corners like hairpins will slow you down a lot. The problem isn't actually the rotation, it's the slowness of FFB. Worst corner is really the hairpin at South City. It's hard to turn the wheel fast enough to turn-in and coming out of the corner you really need to quickly turn the wheels back straight. Even though the FFB is working for you, you still have to overcome the gears of the FFB engine.
Quote from geeman1 :It depends on the track. Tight corners are the biggest threat when using big rotations. On tracks with not very tight corners you don't probably lose much. But tight corners like hairpins will slow you down a lot. The problem isn't actually the rotation, it's the slowness of FFB. Worst corner is really the hairpin at South City. It's hard to turn the wheel fast enough to turn-in and coming out of the corner you really need to quickly turn the wheels back straight. Even though the FFB is working for you, you still have to overcome the gears of the FFB engine.

I find tight and twisty tracks a doddle using my G25 @ 800. It depends how you drive, alot of people I've seen drive LFS as they do in Real Life. Keeping their hands in about the same place and letting the wheel slip through. However, since i've never even driven a real car, I've totally adopted to a racing style. I'm doing a new movie soon, so you'll see how once that's released.
Hm, personally, I think using more rotation is potentially faster, because steering is more precise. With my old Wigman FF GP I found myself constantly correcting steering inputs going into the turn and I spun much more coming out of the turn or got too much understeer (depending on the car, obviously). However, catching slides is much harder with a higher degree of rotation, so if you screw up, you're more likely to crash. And FFB is an issue, at least with the DFP, because it's painfully slow and even if you react quick enough, you might still lose it. And I honestly doubt that the fast guys are using little rotation. I think they're usually capable of being fast despite of controller short-comings. But I couldn't be 100% sure since I'm not one of them.
I use the degrees the same as the car...

I mean, who wouldn't want more realism in a sim...?

you can buy NFS too... =P*

*(this is a bit exaggerated)
I also try and use the same rotation as the car. The FOX has a rotation of 450 and I use 450 on my wheel as well. But, with cars like the TBO's or GTR's I usually use just 500. I find that over 550 or so and it is difficult to turn the wheel fast enough to catch a slide. The couple times a played around with drifting I did find a larger (700 or so) degree of rotation is a bit better. It makes it easier to keep the car balanced in a slide.

Although on a couple other cars I use a bit more than the cars actual rotation. Like with the BF1, I usually use 300-325. With the MRT its the same, I use 400-450 because that thing is twitchy! Anything less and I find myself flying off the track after over-correcting a tiny slide.

Its all about finding the perfect compromise of precise steering Vs. quick steering. Each car is different. I think it has a lot to do with optimum slip angles and the wheel base of the car. A shorter wheel base car tends to need a quicker (lower degree of rotation) steering because they can change direction a lot faster. Its the same with stickier tires and down force dependent cars(smaller slip angles) because they as wheel tend to be more on "edge" and require quick corrections.

I try and use as much rotation as possible without feeling like I can't physically turn the wheel quick enough to make corrections.
i use 620 for cars with 720 and i use the real rotation for the fox and bf1 etc
#11 - Woz
I have my wheel at 720 with wheel comp 1 so I use car rotation.

Don't care if its slower, I want the wheel turn the car has.
The rotation isn't the only 'variable'. While using 200 degrees probably makes the cars 'too easy', the abundance of wheel resistance would make 720 degrees on a DFP wheel 'too hard'. It is a compromise with todays FF wheels, and it isn't right to say 'real car = 900 then sim car = 900' because you're forgetting about the 'cheapness' of most simracing controls.. There is probably a middle ground somewhere between real and 200 degrees.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :There is probably a middle ground somewhere between real and 200 degrees.

I'd say that's around 450° to 540°.
I just leave mine on 501deg for all cars because I'm lazy.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :The rotation isn't the only 'variable'. While using 200 degrees probably makes the cars 'too easy', the abundance of wheel resistance would make 720 degrees on a DFP wheel 'too hard'. It is a compromise with todays FF wheels, and it isn't right to say 'real car = 900 then sim car = 900' because you're forgetting about the 'cheapness' of most simracing controls.. There is probably a middle ground somewhere between real and 200 degrees.

That is true I know the g25 is out of some (or quite alot) of people price range but it does cure alot of those problems as the ffb is quicker and, from what i remember, the resistance to turning is less too. Both making it easier to race 720 degrees. Still not perfect though.
The one thing i still have not got used to is the gtr's on 540 degrees due to small lock and any oversteer becoming fish tailing for me. I think i just need to be easier on the right foot lol.
what do you guys mean "ffb is quicker"
Quote from Not Sure :what do you guys mean "ffb is quicker"

The FFB Motors (as there are 2 of them) in the G25 can turn the wheel quicker than the motor used in the Driving Force Pro.
Quote from Not Sure :what do you guys mean "ffb is quicker"

I know ATHome answered but i suppose saying quicker ffb is technically wrong as it suggests the ffb effect is felt quicker which i don't think it is. As ATHome said in the g25 there is 2 motors (one for each direction) compared to the dfp's 1 motor. Also i think (but not sure) the motors in the g25 are stronger and have better gearing. Which means that the ffb can rotate the steering wheel quicker. Which means using a higher rotation becomes easier to use (IMO anyway)
I use 720 degrees on the road cars with my DFP and for the most part find it okay. I find it can keep up with corrections in the XRT no problem, not quite so well with something like the LX6. I actually find the DFP hardest with the single seaters which, although they have less steering lock, need quicker inputs than the road cars.
so is the amount of degrees from lock to lock? or from lock to center?
Lock to lock.
so erm a bit noobish question :P I bought a shiny g25 a day ago and was using the whole 900 rotation . so where can i see the actuall rotation of the car so I can ajust according to how the real car handles

PS: Sorry for my english
Quote from Thill :so erm a bit noobish question :P I bought a shiny g25 a day ago and was using the whole 900 rotation . so where can i see the actuall rotation of the car so I can ajust according to how the real car handles

PS: Sorry for my english

I think the 'Info' or 'Steering' page in the garage setup for the cars shows the rotation for the car and the currently rotation setting of your wheel

Regards,

Ian
thank you
I dont understand people who play on 270 just to be faster, if the car has 720 degrees of turn then thats what I use, much more fun.

Wheel rotation ?
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG