The online racing simulator
Modern F1 Transmission
(14 posts, started )
Modern F1 Transmission
#2 - amp88
It's not a CVT box, it's a "seamless shift" box. CVT gearboxes are banned in F1 and AFAIK they have never been raced. Williams tested a CVT gearbox in 1993(?) but it was banned before it got to a race. The "seamless shift" boxes just decrease the amount of "coasting" time (i.e. time between one gear disengaging and the next one engaging) but they are not CVT boxes, nor do they apply the same technological principles. I believe seamless shift boxes are similar in approach to the Volkswagen DSG boxes, but I'm not sure about that. If you watch any onboard footage you can clearly hear gearchanges happening and there is a distinct lull in the acceleration.

Quote from 2007 F1 Technical Regulations :
9.3.2 Continuously variable transmission systems are not permitted.

edit: Here's a clip from the Discovery Channel programme Command and Control which shows Williams testing the CVT box.
#3 - ajp71
Modern F1 gearboxes are essentially highly developed sequential 7 speed gearboxes, the internals are very complicated (I recall reading the Renault had 3000 moving parts in its gearbox last year) and bare little resemblance to the rest of the racing world. IIRC some teams also use elctro magnetic rather than friction pad clutches.
#4 - axus
BMW claim to have been able to *eliminate* coasting time completely with their Quick Shift Gearbox... it's got some electronics in there and it's really complicated. I'd love to know on what principle it works.
There was a presentation at my University a few months ago by an F1 team, it may have been McLaren, can't remember now, that had developed a method of engaging 2 gears at once to completely eliminate this lull. Sadly I found out about the lecture after it happened so I can't enlighten you all with fascinating details (although I somehow suspect the exact nature of the workings wouldn't have been discusses anyway).
I thought the F1 rules stated that there has to be a detectable/measurable interuption of power during gear shifts.
Dunno, that quote does literally say CVT though. Maybe he's just oversimplifying for us mere mortals (or talking out of his arse as an 'advisor' ).
#8 - amp88
Quote from Gentlefoot :I thought the F1 rules stated that there has to be a detectable/measurable interuption of power during gear shifts.

I've heard Martin Brundle say a few times that there has to be a demonstrable delay between gears but I can't find anything about this in the regs. The section on Gearboxes is surprisingly short, about 40% of it is taken up by the "clutch control" system that the marshals can engage to push the car.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I thought the F1 rules stated that there has to be a detectable/measurable interuption of power during gear shifts.

I'm pretty sure that is correct.

I'm sure the teams have to demonstrate to the FIA officials that there is a interuption of power between gear shifts.
Quote from keiran :I'm pretty sure that is correct.

I'm sure the teams have to demonstrate to the FIA officials that there is a interuption of power between gear shifts.

knowing f1 teams, they will find a way to make it appear that way
What's this CVT bonanza in F1? There are no CVTs ever used in F-1 races!

In case you're all wondering what this seemless shift thing is and start throwing all kinds of claims on technology of alien complication adn sophistication, here's what this seamless shift gearbox REALLY is:

http://www.zeroshift.com/

Yes, it works on having 2 gears effectively on at once, like DSG, but much simpler and and more elegant. It's just clever mechanical design and close loop electronic and computer control.
#12 - J.B.
Quote from amp88 :
edit: Here's a clip from the Discovery Channel programme Command and Control which shows Williams testing the CVT box.

Great, been wanting to see and hear that for a long time. Judging by the video I reckon it was a good thing that they banned it. Really sounds awkward with the constant engine speed, just imagine a full grid of them.
CVT is the theoretically ideal transmission as it allows the engine to run at its maximum potential for as long as possible. Imagine a transmission that allows your car to run at maximum power rpm continuously for maximum acceleration and speed. This would allow the use of extremly peaky and powerful engines with no penalty whatsover.

But CVT was banned in many forms of racing. So the ultimate approach now is to simply use engines with good powerbands and to shift gears with no time loss. Unfortunately, with F-1s propensity to ban anything that is innovative and of very good for road cars (e.g. Renault's variable intake system), the powerband equation goes down teh drain. What they CAN do, however, is to remove the annoying shift lag via zeroshift, which is still a normal geared transmission but can be shifted without loss of torque to the wheels.

Let's hope they don't ban this so this tech will soon trickle down to road cars. It actually makes little sense to ban it since it shaves miliseconds to lap times and will not magically turn Scott Speed into Micheal Schumacher or Kimi Raikonnen. For instance, if Honda didn't monkey around with VTEC during the turbo era, VTEC wouldn't have been so well developed for today numerous Honda performance cars tah trange from Honda Integras to Honda NSXs.

Modern F1 Transmission
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG