The online racing simulator
They use keyboard controls from what i here, but i have had the AI's go flat out in the bf1 before on the oval for there 1st lap but on there 2nd lap they slow down alot.
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
What? No they don't use keyboard

The reason is that they haven't been developed further since S1, so their driving logic simply can't handle things that are vastly different to what we had back then. For example cars with extreme power/weight ratios like the BF1.
-
Only Scawen knows
Maybe it's a internal steer smoothing taking too long to react, or the AI updates run on a too low frequency, causing oscillation.
-
The AI hasn't been changed since the BF1 was added, so it shouldn't be a shock they can't drive it
Just let um practice around the track, maybe about 20 (thats what i do, gets them around your speed, depending on track/setup) while your doing that, go have some fun :P, then when you get back, the should be able to set respectable times.
-
For the AI not me I can get them to get 58.xx On Bl1 xD
The AI have no idea about tire temps, fuel level, fuel or passenger weight, or road camber. Until those things are changed, they probably won't be very fast on any track that has moderate camber, and they will continue to drive as though they have low fuel weight, even if they are saddled with a fuel tank.

I don't know what causes the oscillating steering and on/off braking, but I'm sure Scawen will look into both before S2 final.
A few weeks ago I went through a load of tracks to train up the AI while I was doing other stuff. Watching them at T1 BLGP was really funny on the first lap. Couple of them spun onto the grass and kept spinning from one side of the track to the other. They didn't take any damage so wouldn't reset, they just kept struggling to get grip on the grass, then catapulted across the track. Their first lap took them about 10 minutes
#10 - VT-1
The AI can get pretty quick if you train it right. I have been doing experiments with the AI to see how far it will go. The will never set WR times, (but my FOX on the Oval is only off by .2x seconds) but can get better then the average LFS player.

The track does not seem to matter, camber, curbs, none of it. (except for south city) It seems the AI will keep trying small vartiations to its line to pick up time. The variations seem to random, and very small. It will also brake later and later, and get on the gas sooner and sooner. Also, it seems the AI will run faster lap times with setups that would be to loose for most peoples taste.

I left an AI for weeks on our server a while ago (EAGLE) on BL1, and after what must have bee hundreds of laps it was down to a 1:09.xx. Not super fast, but i beleive better then average.

That being siad, it is hard to train them, because they have no concept of fuel or tires, so you just can not fill up the tank and let it go out. It will not know that it is heavier, and has to brake sooner, so it will crash. so you need to keep it with low fuel levels.

The wiggle that the BF1 and F08 get at high speed seems to have something to do with force feedback. It get the same wiggles that you would normally have if you let go of the wheel at high speed. It seems it can not compensate for it. I have made special setups of the BF1 for the Oval (very soft in front) that give it the ability to go faster befor the wiggles start (almost 20mph).

If the AI knew about tire temp and fuel, and was able to pit. you could just let it run all day long without having to touch it. That would be cool to try.
Quote from VT-1 :can get better then the average LFS player.

I assume you are not talking about oval only, and by LFS player you mean S2 licensed ppl?

That sounds so damn unbelievable!
But I haven't trained AI, so I can't bark.
i race em in the xrg with no tc with manusal tanny , quiet fun untill they wreak you
Quote from VT-1 :I left an AI for weeks on our server a while ago (EAGLE) on BL1, and after what must have bee hundreds of laps it was down to a 1:09.xx. Not super fast, but i beleive better then average.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that's still 10 seconds off the pace... Any decent racer should manage it under 1 minute, and I'm talking about the standard race_s...
Quote from bbman :I don't want to burst your bubble, but that's still 10 seconds off the pace... Any decent racer should manage it under 1 minute, and I'm talking about the standard race_s...

I think he's talking about the FOX.
Its funny to load up an autocross track with lots of jumps, add a full grid of AI and sit back and watch
#16 - Gunn
Quote from Dj-Aeri :
But, what's the reason for move the car left-right quickly when they're going fast? anybody knows?

They're using the tyres that Michelin supplied for the 2005 Indianapolis Grand Prix.
Quote from Dj-Aeri :But, what's the reason for move the car left-right quickly when they're going fast? anybody knows?

It's what you may call an oscillation in the control loop.

The AI code continuously compares the position of the car with the planned driving line. When there is a difference, the AI steers to get back to that line: too far to the right -> turn left; too far left -> turn right.

The problem with the BF1 at high speed is that the reaction of the car is so fast and strong that the next correction from the AI is too late. The AI then over-corrects, and a few milliseconds later it needs another, even bigger correction. The result: a car that is swerving or spinning.

Scawen could solve this by tweaking some parameters in the AI code. But the AI has other problems, and these require a more thorough revision...
#18 - VT-1
Quote from bbman :I don't want to burst your bubble, but that's still 10 seconds off the pace... Any decent racer should manage it under 1 minute, and I'm talking about the standard race_s...

Yes, The Fox.

You really can not use the AI With the BF1 on any track were it will go faster then 180mph, it will get the wiggles.

1:09 may not be Super fast, on redline servers it would be average. But i think it is better then average.
I stand corrected then and yes, it's a decent time where you can really fight the AI for position...
#20 - VT-1
I ran a test with the BF1 on Backwood. RaceS, but modified front sespesion to softest settings possibe to lessen wiggles. It started at 1:20's, after 100 laps, it was down to 58 seconds.

But the setup needs to be real soft in the front, but 58, is not bad.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG