The online racing simulator
#1 - Woz
Replay files and their setups
Currently in replays the setup is private and encrypted.

The user should be able to decide if they want a private setup saved in the replay or one that can be extracted by others.

The driving force behind this request is my setup project, The Base Setup Project. Would be great if I could extract the setups from replays when allowed to by the user.

I can't see a problem in that people who want private setups can still have them.
Quote from Woz :my setup project, The Base Setup Project. Would be great if I could extract the setups from replays.

you mean you want to watch all the world records and steal setups? good thinking

haha no im kidding, i see what you mean tho but it would be kind of pointless because every one would use them private anyway.

well i know i would
#3 - Woz
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :you mean you want to watch all the world records and steal setups? good thinking

haha no im kidding, i see what you mean tho but it would be kind of pointless because every one would use them private anyway.

well i know i would

Actually, at the momeent I would love to harvest all the WR setups for my project (See sig).

You might want to block yours and that is fine with me. I fully understand why some would want to keep their set secret as they can take many hours to perfect.

The way I see it is that people share setups all the time in LFS and the client has the ability built in. This is just another way to share setups.

Most users would probably leave this option at "No" just to be on the safe side and then forget all about it. So, in practice this would make very few setups available.

I think it's more practical if LFS World could offer download of setups, extracted from uploaded hotlaps. There would be an LFSW user preference for publishing the setups, with 3 options: Never publish, Always publish, and Prompt (= ask me when I upload the replay). The latter should be the default.

An extra advantage is that you don't need to wait for the next incompatible patch. (The original suggestion requires a change in the replay format.)

A disadvantage is that it only works for hotlaps posted to LFSW. (That is, initially. Later, this could be turned into a "setup extraction service".)
an infamous hacker round here(now banned) made a program to do just that and thats what led to sets being encrypted. is this intended to be part of lfs or just a collection of setups for whoever wants to download them? im all for having easy setups for the newcomers and especialy having a setup for track/car combo by default in lfs but thats a huge task and with physics patches coming it would be scraped each time theres a incompatible patch. of course we could always supply a bunch of sets by default or send it to scawen for him to include in the game but i think people will always want to try the faster guys setup no?
#6 - Woz
Quote from Barroso :an infamous hacker round here(now banned) made a program to do just that and thats what led to sets being encrypted. is this intended to be part of lfs or just a collection of setups for whoever wants to download them? im all for having easy setups for the newcomers and especialy having a setup for track/car combo by default in lfs but thats a huge task and with physics patches coming it would be scraped each time theres a incompatible patch. of course we could always supply a bunch of sets by default or send it to scawen for him to include in the game but i think people will always want to try the faster guys setup no?

Its for a project I have called Base Setup Project, See my sig for more details.

As an overview though I collect all good sets I can for a car, no matter the track, and then create a new generic setup based on a munge of all the setups for that car.

The central idea/question being if you average lots of sets created for a specific tracks into a common single setup does it produce a good general purpose set that can be used as is and also as a base for track specific sets. At the moment it appears to hold up but I have a long way to go and need a far bigger sample set before I am happy.

I would love to be able to harvest the WR sets once a month or similar and then create my new base sets from them. This would mean that the base sets change over time to reflect the changes in LFS.

My project will never publish any specific sets, just the munge I produce.

I think if you are prompted when you upload to ask if you want to share the set that will be good. Might be the submit button to upload is replaced with 2. "Share set" and "Private set"
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :well i know i would

Luckily we don't all think like you. So many people have helped me out with setups (respect to you all ) and i love handing out setups myself. I've never said no.
If i was ever good enough to set a WR I'd be happy to share the set. Then if someone beat my WR with my set then I'd have total respect for their driving skills and be happy they did it with my set. That's something to be proud of

EDIT: Nice work with the project Woz, I've set a few PB's with your sets. they are a great base to work from imo
#8 - Woz
Quote from The Moose :EDIT: Nice work with the project Woz, I've set a few PB's with your sets. they are a great base to work from imo

Thanks. The new batch will be posted tonight. I have had more setups in from people since the last batch so some of the sets might change slightly. I think all the new sets are for GTRs and TBOs so they are the ones that will change.

Good to know they are helping people

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG