The online racing simulator
F1 Clutch Activation
(6 posts, started )
F1 Clutch Activation
Am I correct in thinking that F1 cars still have hand-operated clutches? If so, are they buttons or levers on the wheel?

I know that they used to have buttons on the steering wheel in the days of launch control but since that was outlawed I've lost track of what they use now.

Ta

Grumps
They've only ever had finger operated levers on the steering wheel. The launch control button was an extra control that sync'd clutch, throttle, revs and brakes to make the perfect getaway. For coming out the pits they have had a lever behind the wheel.

I still think they should go back to pedal clutches personally though.
edit:
forget about it. I was wrong, just found an explanation on the net. Unfortunately, it's in German.
But yes, they have a hand lever for the clutch.

One question remains though:
Do they use it only at the start and after pit stops while for changing gears the clutch is operated automatically, oder do they have to pull that lever every time they shift?
Quote from Don Merino :One question remains though:
Do they use it only at the start and after pit stops while for changing gears the clutch is operated automatically, oder do they have to pull that lever every time they shift?

They only use the clutch at start and when leaving pits. Gear change clutch is automatic and I think they have even more automatic control in there. For example when downshifting when braking the in-car computer does not let the lower gear engage before revs are just right. They probably have all kinds of other automatic stuff too. That's why some people say that modern F1 cars are too easy to drive.
I don't think the clutch is even touched electronically for upshifts or downshifts. There is probably some advanced slipper-clutch arrangment to stop the wheels locking on downshifts though.
the only other time the clutch is used is when they spin but thats done by a computer

Keiran

F1 Clutch Activation
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG