The online racing simulator
ATI Radeon X1800XT No Anti-Aliasing?
I just updated drivers for my graphics card, and now I don't have any Anti-Aliasing in LFS. All AA and AF options are maxed out in the Catalyst Control Center.

I had a minor glitch once before where a restart fixed the issue, but that hasnt worked this time.

I tried rolling back my drivers and then installing the new ones again. My computer responded be booting up in VGA mode complaining that the drivers were written for an older version of windows and were not supported (and Catalyst control center also complaned of un-supported drivers) and these are the very same drivers that were installed only a few minutes prior.

I tried installing the drivers once again, which solved the VGA booting issue (thankfully. man that was ugly!) but I am STILL not getting any AA or AF in LFS.

[edit] rFactor has AA...
[edit 2] Alright, it seems rF has AA because it is in the video settings within the game, not because of my gfx card. rF is the only game with AA. That means that I have no AA from my graphics card in any program. This is so damn frusterating..
I had ATI cards before and I remember there are 2 option for AA/AF in the drivers.

Something like aplication controlled or forced.NVIDIA has similar option.
Try to enable forced version for AA/AF.It should work then.Also OMEGA drivers have very good reputation.
There are two options (the two main AA and AF options) which have a check box for "Use Application Preference" which are cleared (empty) so this should overright any game preference.

[EDIT]Alright, did a complete uninstall of all ATI drivers, and installed the new ones again. All seems to be fine now. I guess my old drivers did not uninstall properly last time, or I missed another element that needed to be uninstalled as well.

[EDIT 2] DAMNIT! After a reboot I no longer have any AA or AF again, no matter what the settings are in the control center. ARRRGH :|

[EDIT 3] I just tried the OMEGA Drivers. After installation, all was well. AA and AF in all programs again. I turned the settings all the way down in another profile (for use in another program which was too slow to use with AA and AF on) and then that program worked fine. I switched back to my maxxed out profile, and the AA and AF did not come back, even after a reboot. The OMEGA control panel says its all maxed out, but still no AA or AF. This is REALLY pissing me off now.
have same problem with my x1950xtx with original and 7.3catalist ,had only AA and AF when I chance the setings (in Catalist) ,,in 7.4 catalist is all OK . with my old GPUs x1800xt and x800xt had no poblems with catalist from 6.1 to 7.2
There is very good program called Ati Tray Tools. When i still had Ati card, i didn't use anything but a driver and traytools, never even bothered to instal control panel/center. All settings can be made with it and it has good tool to make profiles for games including AA&AF. Also try to set your game resolution and refreshrate same as your desktop, does it help?
No matter what drivers/tools I use, If I turn down/off AA and AF I do not get it back without a reinstall of my drivers. I tried using different profiles and that does not work; upon changing back to my maxed out profile, the AA and AF do not return. The program that I had to turn the AA and AF off for is no longer going to be used on this machine, I'll just use it on the laptop and transfer files as needed. I've got my AA back and now I'm not going to let it go hehe

Game res and refreshrate has always been the same as my desktop.
Just to re-instate, it's not an issue with the card, I have an X1800XT and have no problems running LFS with tons of FSAA/AF.
Have you ever turned down or off your AA and AF Bob? I have AA And AF now, too, but I can't turn it down without loosing it until I reinstall the drivers.

I have suffered a decrease in FPS, though, with the OMEGA drivers. Before I *tried* to upgrade to the new ATI drivers, I was running a solid 60FPS (monitor refreshrate) except in T1; I'd go down to 30 in BLGP T1 with 19 AIs and myself. Now, I frequently dip down into the 30s and 40s throughout the race, even when only a couple cars on screen;seemingly at random. I'm going to go back and install some old 6.xx cats as thats what I had on my system before. Hopefully that'll solve my issue.
#10 - Sash
Same Problem here !!!

I reinstalled the 7.4 a several times, with and without the driver cleaner no AF and AA !
Sorry guys to say that but looks like ATI messed up with drivers for LFS again.
There was huge thread beafore about performance drop with some drivers from ATI in LFS a long time ago and now again?

Maybe to report it to ATI(AMD)?http://support.ati.com/ics/sur ... surveyID=486&type=web

What about installing just driver without the Catalyst center(which still look like bloatware to me) and try to use Ati Tray tools for changing AA or AF. Just 1st uninstall completly the drivers including catalyst center,then restart and then install just the drivers.do not install up to that Catalyst center.Would be worth to try it.There is seperate package on ATI pages only for driver.

Also to try a bit older drivers here: http://ati.amd.com/support/dri ... p/radeonxprevious-xp.html
now have the same problem ,just connected second monitor anf no AA ,but when I chance my resolution in LFS to 16b i got AA ,,may I help ,,,I try to figure what was the problem

reinstal properly 7.4 and works fine
#13 - Sash
I installed 7.3 again and now everything work fine again. It must be a bug in de 7.4 driver.
Do you have a link to the 7.3 cats? I want to try them.

Just for reference, could someone with an 1800XT try turning off their AA and AF, go in game, and then see if they can get it back by turning it back on and going into the game again? I want to see if this is an issue with my equipment or someone more common.
Maggot I think you're on to something, I have a radeon 9600xt, and I turned up the AA/AF in catalyst control center (7.4), and it is still off in LFS. ATI really screwed up this time , but I usually use the balanced settings anyway cause my computer is not that fast., so I don't notice a difference.
#16 - Sash
Thanks Sash I'll give them a try tonight or tommorrow time allowing.

@Shiny Red Cobra; that is not promising info Seems it's an ATI issue and not something simple. That is actually worrying for me as I have always had such great success with them.
you know.The drivers now focus more on DX9 then DX8.1 or even DX8 which run LFS on.I am not saying its like that but its my suspect.

Its same with other games that ATI&NVIDIA always support with latest drivers less and less older games.I would still its still not fair from them.We are their customers.
For me, this is not an LFS problem, and subsequently, not a DX8 problem. I have the issue with ALL 3D applications; including rFactor (If it didn't have the AA settings in the config setup it would also not have any AA) which I run in DX9.
#20 - Barn
have the AA problem with my x850 card running vista ultimate
After a reboot, i have to start lfs
when i'm in a server i have to minimise lfs
start control center
turn off AA and click apply
turn AA back on and click ok
maximise lfs and AA is back on
i wish i read this thread before i installed 7.4....
I've been having this problem for as long as i can remember, possibly all the way back to 6.0. ATI Don't seem to be very bothered with old games.
I posted about this recently- but I don't think it's specifically got to do with the new drivers. I've found that sometimes you have to quit out of lfs once, twice, three times maybe before AA/AF will work. I just re-select my profile in ATI tray tools, and start up LFS again. You can tell if AA is enabled before a race, because the track in the track selection screen is smoothed with AA, or not.

Can't really help otherwise, sorry
I have the same problem with my X1950XT...... but when I select resolution with only 16 bit color then everything is working just fine...
same here, my 1900xt doesn´t like 32bit resolutions in lfs.
applying a 32bit one results in neither AA nor AF :/

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG