The online racing simulator
Wasn't there a car creator tool planned?
I remember reading a long time ago something about a car creator tool being planned, but not to be released for awhile... Can anyone confirm this?
#2 - Jakg
got a link? i've never heard of this
Quote from Jakg :got a link? i've never heard of this

That's my problem, I remeber reading it in a FAQ or something awhile ago, but I don't have a link or anything.
I think I may have read that once S3 has been out for a while, the devs might consider making such software available to the public.

So even if this is the case, we are looking a good few years ahead in time. An boy, am I ever glad that is the case. Personally I can't see much good coming out of such a "car creator".
#5 - aoun
If its in the hands of professionals... i would love a car creator.. if not, never EVER EVER EVER.....

....EVEREVERR release one! hehe lol..
If a few people could get pretty good with it, it'd be entirely possible to make requests and download custom cars... I'd love such a tool, I'd be makin wierd cars like mono-wheels, train lookin cars, that kinda thing...
Quote from Supacasey :If a few people could get pretty good with it, it'd be entirely possible to make requests and download custom cars... I'd love such a tool, I'd be makin wierd cars like mono-wheels, train lookin cars, that kinda thing...

Sounds like a good reason to either not release one EVER, or charge £100 for the dev kit.
Quote from tristancliffe :...or charge £100 for the dev kit.

Now that's a good idea!
Except i'd say charge about 2 or 3 hundred!
At least that way it will cut down on the mod-kiddies(well most of them anyway) ruining the game and anyone who is REALLY serious would put the effort into saving up for this app.
Quote from szyszek :I think I may have read that once S3 has been out for a while, the devs might consider making such software available to the public.

I believe I can confirm that it's possible that I might have read something that did in fact sound like what you might have wanted to say.....

Quote from tristancliffe :Sounds like a good reason to either not release one EVER, or charge £100 for the dev kit.

What, you thinking I'd add jacked up stats? heck no, that'd take the fun outta the game... who says if they release it they wont put stat limits??
DasBoeseC, I think we might possibly be quite somewhat on the same page here

Again, as for the car editor: I say no, thanks. We have enough cars as it is already (with many of them practically unused, because people will rather spend weeks,months driving GTR @ AS NAT). Releasing this would only flood the community with low quality crap. Last thing we need. And I don't think that charging any money would change this.

What WOULD change it, would be the need for approval of the devs prior to releasing a mod. But then.... wait a minute.. what are we even talking about here? Maybe we should let the devs work on a final version of S2 first?
Quote from Supacasey :I remember reading a long time ago something about a car creator tool being planned, but not to be released for awhile... Can anyone confirm this?

Sure

In a long time ago... in a far far away galaxy

sorry
I can confirm that there was something hinted at in an interview sometime ago, but not in such concrete terms (car creator tool). The devs may have meant something else, but I can't imagine what.
Quote :Wasn't there a car creator tool planned...

...it was not just a car creator tool, you could built planes and helicopters too with it ...
Quote from Renku :you could built planes and helicopters too with it ...

Viper Racing anyone?

A plane was one of the extras you could choose in the cheats tab. Viper Racing was actually my first "biggie" sim, before LFS.

(In case someone doesn't know the game, don't bash me by saying "a plane in a racing sim? you gotta be kidding me". It was a kind of a cheat).
#16 - Gunn
Quote from Supacasey :... I'd love such a tool, I'd be makin wierd cars like mono-wheels, train lookin cars, that kinda thing...

You've just put me off the idea of a car editor forever.
If this was to be made it should only change the body of the car, not the performance of the engine or any other part of the mechanicles. There was a Concept car built some time ago that could have the body changed, the Chassis stayed the same.
#18 - Mykl
For some reason I like the idea of being able to drive my STi in a video game. I don't know why, I've got the real thing sitting outside...
Quote from szyszek :Again, as for the car editor: I say no, thanks. We have enough cars as it is already (with many of them practically unused, because people will rather spend weeks,months driving GTR @ AS NAT).

I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more. While LFS has a decent selection of vehicles, there are plenty of cars that really should be put into the game. Just off the top of my head: A stock car, a sprint car, a V8 sedan, a mid-engine supercar, a V10 or V12 FR supercar, a WRC car, a stadium truck, a solid axle musclecar, a Formula Ford, a BTCC type car class...need I go on? I find that other than the BF1 and the RAC, most of the cars are used quite widely.

Quote :Releasing this would only flood the community with low quality crap. Last thing we need. And I don't think that charging any money would change this.

I agree with you here. I do not want to see a car editor released. I'd rather see Eric take requests from the community about what sort of cars we want to see, then release them in packs of three or something. Ditto for tracks. No user created tracks, but official track packs released by the devs at somewhat regular intervals.

Now, if people want to model fictional (or licensed) cars and submit them to the devs for inclusion, I think that would be great. This would allow people to get involved with the sim, would save the devs at least some of the work of creating a car from scratch, and would increase the type of cars available to the community. Just so long as every Joe Schmoe can't release a car outside of official channels. I don't want to see LFS turn into rFactor.
#20 - joen
Quote from Supacasey :I remember reading a long time ago something about a car creator tool being planned, but not to be released for awhile... Can anyone confirm this?

Maybe, just maybe LFS will be moddable in the future and some sort of SDK like package would have to be released to accomplish that. But there has never been any confirmation from the devs about that, it's just something part of the community has begun to take as a certainty.

I can say with a 99,99% certainty that currently NO modding tool has been planned.
If an SDK will ever be released, it will be after the release of S3. It makes no sense to develop mods while the platform itself is still in development.
Quote from tristancliffe :or charge £100 for the dev kit.

Modding skills don't necessarily increase by ones wallet size. I'd like to see an incompatible version of LFS after S3, with the modding allowed and thereby keeping the locked version for "die hard" classic LFS fans.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Modding skills don't necessarily increase by ones wallet size. I'd like to see an incompatible version of LFS after S3, with the modding allowed and thereby keeping the locked version for "die hard" classic LFS fans.

A good idea, i don't want to see the rfactor sindrome happen to lfs
#23 - joen
modding would just have to be done with a sensible approach. look at other games that got it wrong and learn from those. I'm sure a good system could be thought of, no need to divide LFS up in different versions.
Quote from Gunn :You've just put me off the idea of a car editor forever.

You people have no creativity/imagination >_>
Yes we do, and our imagination points to a future of nice cars and track environments with realistic handling and rules. Not some crappy bodge of a car from a 10 year olds warped imagination that isn't fun, realistic, amusing, imaginative, quick, futuristic, retro, good, or positive to online racing in the slightest.

Now we've got that sorted you can get back to your sketch pad and design the next 'masterpiece'

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG