The online racing simulator
LFS making my computer crash?
(29 posts, started )
After my new mobo swap, LFS has been giving me problems. If I try and play LFS, 2 minutes after I get into a server or in single player mode, my computer shuts off and reboots. What could be going on for this? Would a bios reflash help? How about reinstalling the game?
#2 - Jakg
Temperatures?
Are you sure that you have uninstalled drivers for your previous MoBo and installed correct ones for your current?
hardware prob... could be ram, could be temperatures... change ram, use only 1 ram 'bar' etc, 80% chance its ur ram
Temperatures are fine, it's usually on for 10 minutes before I start LFS.

Drivers are fine, I may check again but I am pretty sure its correct.

RAM? I have FreeRAMXP which tells me how much RAM I have available and its usually at 450+ MB available.
Quote from MINIz guy :RAM? I have FreeRAMXP which tells me how much RAM I have available and its usually at 450+ MB available.

It's not about the amout of free RAM ,you might have a faulty module unable to keep stored data correct. When this happens it usually leads to crashes like you have described.
Well, if its my RAM, shouldn't this be happening all the time even when doing daily tasks? I may try out TDU and see if anything happens then.
#8 - SamH
Fans not wired in and spinning.. cpu or possibly gpu heat. It's also possible that your new mobo isn't fond of the memory you've got. Memory can be happy while it's not being pushed.. run LFS and it might just tickle your RAM that particular way to cause a crash.

Of all the possibilities, I'm hinging on mobo drivers. It's more common these days that you can swap a mobo without an OS reinstall, but it's still not the norm.
Ok, you guys have convinced me into thinking my RAM is bad. I have a list of RAM manufactures in the manual for the mobo and will check to see if my brand is in there. It seems like a very generic brand though If it is the RAM, I would probably get a new kit and possibly a new HD! Need something bigger than this 80GB one....
#10 - Woz
You say its not heat because the system is running for 10mins etc before LFS.

That iss not what people are saying. LFS pushes your system very hard and when everything is running full tilt things overheat and your system will shutdown.

I can use my laptop for hours at a time but when it comes to LFS the lappy has to be raised off the desk on books to get good airflow (up on bricks as it were ) or it will cook and shutdown in minutes.
Ok, I checked my RAM and my mobo supports it. Only issue now is that the computer completely reboots after just logging on and having everything loaded. I believe I will get new RAM and a new HD. Thanks for the help guys!
Try tool like Memtest86 to check whether your RAM or MoBo memory controller is faulty before getting new one.
Ok, I saved and unzipped it. Only issue now is that I'm not sure if my computer can burn ISO files. Are there any free programs that can burn ISO files?
Hi m8,

You might remember me from CLC but i have a couple ideas for you.

A while back a friend of my had a virus on his computer which made his pc reboot. So im suggesting a virus scan but it probably isnt that.

Another thing is system temp (to change this when you switch your pc on and it say at the bottom Press F8 to enter setup. Go in there and go to the system temp section and try putting your cut-out temp higher.

Good Luck,

Nofear/Matty
#15 - Mr C
Are you absolutely sure its not temperatures? I recently had a very similar problem which I eventually found was due to my CPU overheating.

Find out on the net what the max safe temperature should be for your CPU, then install a free app called motherboard monitor. This can be set up to alert you (by beeping) if the CPU should ever reach the aforementioned max temperature.

Like you also, I was going to buy new components to solve the problem, but after googling the issue of overheating CPU's, I discovered that one of the first steps to do is to clean all of your fans. This for me solved the problem.

Hope this helps
Ok, I believe my computer can't run a virus scan in the condition it is in.

For the temps, this computer does this 5 minutes from booting up to a few hours later(if I'm lucky enough to get it there) so I don't believe that is on issue. I put my hand over the fan and can feel that the air coming out is barely warm.

Right now, I just want to get a program that can burn ISO files to test that out first. I will try out the temperature stuff later as I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.
#17 - Jakg
that doesn't matter, run temperatures NOW, the CPU may not be making proper contact with the heatsink and not putting the energy into the air
#18 - Woz
Quote from MINIz guy :For the temps, this computer does this 5 minutes from booting up to a few hours later(if I'm lucky enough to get it there) so I don't believe that is on issue. I put my hand over the fan and can feel that the air coming out is barely warm.

Again you still do not appear to get what people are talking about with heat. You machine could run for 96billion years at idle but stress the system for 2 mins and it could pack up from heat. Idle state of a PC is NOT the same as when everything runs at 100%, things change a lot in this state and things can fall apart very quickly.

My wife recently had issues with her lappy shutting down on her. A quick blast with an air blast sprayer to clear out the dust (Loads came out) and no more shutdowns.

Sounds like you are hands on with your hardware. If the CPU heatsink seated right with a good amount of heat transfer paste.

Did you check the event log and did that show anything?

Also make sure your machine is NOT set to reboot on BSOD otherwise you could miss vital info. This setting only makes sense for servers that need uptime.
Ok, I will try out and see my temps. I have checked what the temp should be and will install motherboard monitor.

Edit: This isn't good, motherboard monitor doesnt have my mobo to chose from.

Edit again: Since motherboard monitor didnt work, I got speedfan. It also tells me temps and I checked my CPU temp just now. It's running at 15C right now and I will check on it later to see if it has risen.
#20 - Jakg
whats the temperature while gaming in LFS?
I can't game in LFS as once it starts. the system reboots.

Aside from the temp, I am trying to get memtest to work. I have it burned to a CD yet it won't run. All I get is a black screen with a white " _ " flashing. What could be wrong there?
#22 - Woz
I will ask for the 3rd time

WHAT is in your systems event log?
Erm....I'm not so good with all this computer stuff so could you tell me how to see my systems event log? After everytime the computer reboots, I get a message saying "Your computer has recovered from a serious error." I dont get anything when the computer shuts off and reboots itself either, just that message.

Also, after a while at idle with no rebooting, I decided to try out LFS, the CPU Temps rose to 20-22C (was at 17-19C During the idle period) pretty quickly. I havent been able to see if it has gone higher as I will run out of time before the reboot.
System event log is located @ control panel > administrating > Event log (something like this)

I have the same crap, I reinstalled windows, installed all drivers, etc, and now lfs makes my comp to reboot The temps are ok, the mobo, memory, etc = ok too)

SORTED

Core2Duo CPU was overclocked 2.4>>3.15
#25 - ev0
I had a similar problem with one of my old machines when hl2 just came out. It ran everything perfectly, and then crashed after a few minutes of playing hl2. Temperatures were fine, as I had monster fans cooling it. As it turns out, one of these fans was on the same power rail as the graphics card, and and the two together drew too much power. I upgraded the power supply and all was well after that.

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG