The online racing simulator
Old PC with Voodoo3
(13 posts, started )
Old PC with Voodoo3
Hello guys.

One of my PCs is kinda old machine. I wanted to test LFS on it. Yet, LFS did not start.

Pls, see below the PC spec. I'd appreciate any info how to get LFS working on this machine w/o buying anything. THANKS!!!

PC spec:
CPU - AMD Athlon 1400Mhz
Video - 3Dfx Voodoo 3000 (yes! Voodoo3! )
Memory - Kingston 1Gb DDR 266
Motherboard - ASUS A7A 266

Contents of deb.log:
LFS : 0.5V
timer resolution 1 ms
read config
get command line
preinit d3d
number of adapters : 1
adapter 0 - valid modes : 49
init controllers
load bans
load font
max texture size 256
can do shadows
can use 2x tex
can do multi tex
can't use dynamic tex
can't use compressed tex

Some additional info:
* DirectX 9 is installed and "Dxdiag" tests work properly (see attached picture)
Attached images
dxdiag.JPG
does it give an error?
No A black screen is shown with hourglass mouse mointer (which I can move on the screen). Nothing else happens.
on your lfs folder you will find a file called cfg.txt
open that and change some vid card related stuff, i dunno if its in the same folder but find somewhere where you can change the resolution
The content of cfg.txt is (only one line):

Start Windowed 0
iirc the v3 is missing some feature lfs needs to run
Ah!! the old :bowdown: voodoo 3, remembered me of 2nd grade
#8 - kompa
When I bought a Voodoo2 card with 12mb of memory back in '98 the sales person insisted that's the max amount of mem these cards are ever going to need, hah!
what feature does it need?

Quote from Shotglass :iirc the v3 is missing some feature lfs needs to run

Quote from fafnir :what feature does it need?

take a look at your deb.log it should tell you which functionality lfs needs that your card doesnt support
Quote from kompa :When I bought a Voodoo2 card with 12mb of memory back in '98 the sales person insisted that's the max amount of mem these cards are ever going to need, hah!

lol...those were the days.... I had 2 voodoo2's in an SLI config to wow my friends with Half Life
You can look for some updated drivers(but I bet you won't find any). AFAIK V3 is not even DX7 100% compilant which can cause problems if LFS uses some strict-DX7 graphics instructions.
Quote from kompa :When I bought a Voodoo2 card with 12mb of memory back in '98 the sales person insisted that's the max amount of mem these cards are ever going to need, hah!

I had one of those too. This reminds me... shouldn't LFS have a Glide support too

What the sales person said to you is bit like what Bill Gates said back in 1981... "640 kB ought to be enough for anyone". Gates denies he ever said this but we off course do not believe him.

Old PC with Voodoo3
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG