The online racing simulator
F1-style tyre-warmers...
(21 posts, started )
F1-style tyre-warmers...
Sorry if this has been mentioned, I had a look and couldn't see it via a search. But it would be cool to have a tyre-warmer-like option for the F1-type cars, to preheat tyres to whatever temp you want. Would make launches better, I think, and would be more realistic.
Well not to whatever temp you want, but to a certain maximum temperature (tyre compound dependant) maybe.
So you basically want an option to set how warm the tyres should be at race start? Well ok, yeah, but I don't think it would make a terribly big difference. Are the 70+ °C you get at start not warm enough for you?
It makes a difference in some situations, where you want to draft straight off the grid.. Cold tyres = no grip, and uber-spinny-ness. Perhaps it would also reduce the burnouts on launches (And we know how they can end)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
yeah, tire warmers sound great. after that they could program in auto steering and auto braking so we never have to crash again!!!

what's the point in having tire temperatures if you've got warmers?

do you realise how few racing series' actually HAVE tire warmers? only the very top ones.

speedfreak227
LFS already has tyre warmers. Notice how when you start race, come out of pits or change new tires in the pits the tires are already warm. Without tyre warmers the tyres would be at air temperature. Sure the tyres aren't at the green temperatures, but it's that way in real life too. You don't want the tyres to be at optimal warmth at start of race because then the "good" temperatures would go past too quickly. It's better have them little colder at start so you also get to use "good" temperatures when the tyre is just starting to approach the optimal temperature.
Quite right - good post.
Quote from geeman1 :LFS already has tyre warmers. Notice how when you start race, come out of pits or change new tires in the pits the tires are already warm. Without tyre warmers the tyres would be at air temperature. Sure the tyres aren't at the green temperatures, but it's that way in real life too. You don't want the tyres to be at optimal warmth at start of race because then the "good" temperatures would go past too quickly. It's better have them little colder at start so you also get to use "good" temperatures when the tyre is just starting to approach the optimal temperature.

I agree, LFS already has tire warmers, try left game running without run , yesterday i do this and when i look at wheels temp it was les than 40 degrees in a very dark blue, near black.

Is the best tyre model in a car simulator ,far more than thousand light-years, to any sim you can compare.

and wait , when mechanicals damages , clutch , and brake fading .....

: )____________________________________-
Quote from geeman1 :Sure the tyres aren't at the green temperatures

You think? It happened to me at least once that I was racing with R3s and then toawrds the end of the race I had to pit and changed to R2s. The R2s (I believe I was driving the XRR) were already green at like 5 degrees below optimal temp when I left the pits.....
Quote from Nick_ll :You think? It happened to me at least once that I was racing with R3s and then toawrds the end of the race I had to pit and changed to R2s. The R2s (I believe I was driving the XRR) were already green at like 5 degrees below optimal temp when I left the pits.....

this is a known bug...
Ah thanks didn't know that
Was quite useful for doing some fast laps tho....
I think everyone with a iq higher then 20 knows that LFS has some form of tyre warmers. But thats not what hes asking for.

I say yes to adjustable tyre-warmers. But if you set them to 80°C the tyres should have a little lower temp at racing starts because your car doesn't 'warp' from the pits to the starting grid (well in LFS it does but in RL it doesn't).

Quote : do you realise how few racing series' actually HAVE tire warmers? only the very top ones.

Show some examples of series which doesn't allow pre-heating the tyres. Pls post offical regulations where tyre warmers are disallowed.

Quote : what's the point in having tire temperatures if you've got warmers?

Tyre warmers don't fix the temperatur during raceing
HSCC, 750MC, BRSCC etc in the UK. They are club racing, ranging from Historic Saloons, to 1980's Formula Ford and F5000 (I think). Only the well known race series (modern FF, F3, GP2, F1, Cart, MotoGP, DTM etc) use tyre warmers. I reckon over 90% of world wide track racers don't.
Quote from tristancliffe :HSCC, 750MC, BRSCC etc in the UK. They are club racing, ranging from Historic Saloons, to 1980's Formula Ford and F5000 (I think). Only the well known race series (modern FF, F3, GP2, F1, Cart, MotoGP, DTM etc) use tyre warmers. I reckon over 90% of world wide track racers don't.

Cart (champ car) teams are not allowed to use tire warmers.

speedfreak227
meh! You got the point... :P
In nascar, the steering wheel is also a tire warmer!
I like the lower tyre temps at start, as everyone needs to adjust to it. Going into the first corner with very low traction needs a bit of skill if you don't want to mess it. That makes to choice of tyre more tactical as you may benefit of a longer lasting tyre or one that has it's grip way earlier. Just think of racers with R4 tyres that are at green temps at the start o.O and then forget about the warmer request.
the tires are pre-heated, aren't they?
Yup. Pointless thread in that respect.
The point is, either warmers are allowed or they are not. There is no rule which says you may pre-heat your tyres but only 20°C below the optimum.

Quote :Only the well known race series (modern FF, F3, GP2, F1, Cart, MotoGP, DTM etc) use tyre warmers.

If LFS is about to simulate the most unimportant racing series, then you got a point there.
Quote :FIA's rule states that only a tire blanket may be used to keep the tires warm when the car is not running

In F1 they use tire blankets, not warmers. Even in hillclimbing they're now no longer allowed them.

Quote from M.Mos :If LFS is about to simulate the most unimportant racing series, then you got a point there.

Club racing makes up the bulk of circuit racing and I would hate to see LFS stick to the conventional big championships, if you want to drive them there are a million PS2 and Xbox games 'simulating' them. Why not have more variety in LFS?

F1-style tyre-warmers...
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG