The online racing simulator
wireless problem
(8 posts, started )
#1 - hda
wireless problem
Hey,

I'm having a weird problem.

Everytime I connect to a server with lfs my connection speed drops from the usual 18/36Mbps to 5.5, 2.0 and 1.0 till I lose connection to host.
This started to happening a while after I got W patch so I guess that's not the problem..

Any help would be appreciated.

system:

c2d e6400, 4gigs ddr2, asus mobo, wireless asus pci card (broadcom chipset)
windows vista

linksys wag354g v2 router
Hi,

i probably have the same card as you and i experiance timeouts now and then. Could i ask whos your provider and whatr router you use? And whats the reception?

Matt
hmm...thats interesting Try closing all other programmes like MSN cause they use speed...and maybe use LFS in minimized view and see if anything pops up?
#4 - hda
my card is the wl-138g v2. as i said on the first post my router is a linksys wag354g v2. my isp is sapo, a portuguese provider. i don't think its their problem, i don't have any lag or any other problem in any other online game.

connection speed is usually at 18 or 24Mbps with excellent or very high signal
seems strange, would it be possible to run Edernet cable?

Matt
#6 - hda
yeah I'll try it as soon as I get my hands on a cable. I'll post here when I do that.

Thanks for you time :)
#7 - Woz
How far are you from your router and what sort of signal strength do you have. To me your "problem" sounds like standard operation for a wi-fi signal on the limits of range or one that has too much interference.

Starts at 54mbps and if there are too many connection related problems it will back off to a lower speed . It only steps back up when it detects the connection is stable enough to take it.

Do you have a wireless phone or anything else on the 2.4GHz range or are there other people close enough that their wireless APs show up on your connection list?

I know this from experience as I sometime use my lappy at long range on my wireless connection and it shows exactly the same problems. Once it backs down to 1mbps and fails nothing sends even though you have a conn still.

You could try a 3rd party signal booster or high gain antenna to help boost the signal. Failing that if you are alway in a single spot when you use the wireless and you cant run a wired link try a directional antenna on the router as this will boost your range no end.

HTH
#8 - Davo
I've also got the same problems with wireless, luckily it's only the study pc so it's not used for anything much except the random email and radio. It'ds definately something to do with range or interference and it onyl happens when there's a lot of data transfer the speed will constantly drop but the connection is still alive. Wireless sucks imo. Only used it as a last resort if you can't go wired.

wireless problem
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG