The online racing simulator
#1 - Venus
How do you do [perform?] overclocking???
I could do with this, I know my puter can do it; but I'm not sure how. Can someone point me to; or explain how to do it please? A process would be really helpful. My puters an Anthlon 1.6ghz that benchtests to 2ghz. 786mb ram, vid card is gforce2 (yuk).

Thanks

Venus
Buy a new 'puter and overclock that instead...
I wouldn't If I were you. To overclock you need a good cooling system - as well as a profound knowledge in the subject. Its honestly cheaper to get a new system, rather than fixing your old one after you 'clocked it too high.
#4 - CSU1
frankly if you cant figure out how to do it yourself you shouldnt do it
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Shotglass :frankly if you cant figure out how to do it yourself you shouldnt do it

Who is franky?
I agree with Shotglass, don't do it if you are not sure about what to do. You could lose data, your trying can result in a corrupted OS, not to mention hardware damages. and I didn't talked about LFS's sensitivity for instable (OC'ed to the limit) system. Your CPU seems to be enough for LFS, if you have the budget, try to get a better vga card (for example Ati 9550, Nvidia 6200).
#8 - Jakg
Quote from mcintyrej :I wouldn't If I were you. To overclock you need a good cooling system - as well as a profound knowledge in the subject. Its honestly cheaper to get a new system, rather than fixing your old one after you 'clocked it too high.

? you can overclock on stock! And my runs overclocked 24/7, yet to blow much up
I'd rather have a quiet system. Underclocking is where it's at when you're old.
Theres web sites and forums dedicated to wringing the last bit of performance from your pc, google search will reveal loads, and software tools to overclock your cpu and gpu's. It's an underground cult movement - if it ain't broke, tweak it till it is.

http://www.overclockers.com/

If your process or is on its way out or 5 years out of date, why not push it till it blows?
[insert standard legal disclaimer here]
Quote from Jakg :? you can overclock on stock! And my runs overclocked 24/7, yet to blow much up

Yeah you can. But it depends what your stock is. My stock fan is useless for anything above factory specs.
I always wanted to try overclocking but whatever you do, don't do this!
Unless a part is massively under rated from the factory, there's really no point to overclocking. The risks far outweight the very marginal (and in almost all cases unnoticeable) gains.

Likewise, there's no point in overclocking a part that's 4 or 5 years old. You can get something much faster dirt cheap.
Quote from Forbin :Unless a part is massively under rated from the factory, there's really no point to overclocking. The risks far outweight the very marginal (and in almost all cases unnoticeable) gains.

uh there really isnt much of a risk in overclocking if you know what youre doing and at least with a core2 you can gain quite a lot
Quote from Shotglass :frankly if you cant figure out how to do it yourself you shouldnt do it

That's pretty short sighted. Overclocking isn't something that's obvious to everyone the second they lay eyes on a computer.

Please, humor me by telling me how great of an overclocker you were when you started.

If you're smart enough to ask for help, why shouldn't he be able to try it?

Venus, what exactly do you mean your computer "benchtests" to 2GHz if you don't know how to overclock? But if you did get it to 2GHz, that's a pretty good OC already.

With the Geforce2, you're not really going to do anything that's going to make a difference in performance. You can get something like ATITool (works on Nvidia cards too) or RivaTuner.

With ALL overclocking, do it in baby steps. 3-5MHz at a time. Don't ever do anything drastic. That'll likely go to far and you'll crash or fail to boot up.
Quote from pik_d :That's pretty short sighted. Overclocking isn't something that's obvious to everyone the second they lay eyes on a computer.

ocing a modern pc doesnt take any soldering or jumpering skills so lets be honest if he cant figure it out himself hes just going to break his pc
Quote from Shotglass :ocing a modern pc doesnt take any soldering or jumpering skills so lets be honest if he cant figure it out himself hes just going to break his pc

No, if he doesn't listen to advice given to him or use common sense he's going to break it, and it sounds like he's willing to do both.
Quote from Shotglass :uh there really isnt much of a risk in overclocking if you know what youre doing and at least with a core2 you can gain quite a lot

Even with proper cooling, my E6400 gets rounding errors in Prime95 at just 2.7 GHz. That's obviously not stable and would eventually lead to data corruption. That said, the C2D is an exception in that it will go quite high provided your willing to risk data corruption. However, again, you only ever notice in certain apps (LFS for one), and that's only if you overclock a lot (>50%).
so far ive got my dads 4300 double prime stable at 3 ghz
guess you were just unlucky with yours
#20 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'd rather have a quiet system. Underclocking is where it's at when you're old.

my PC is VERY quiet (all 17 db fans are undervolted to 10% of their usual speed) - the ONE thing this Reserator does is be quiet
Quote from mcintyrej :Yeah you can. But it depends what your stock is. My stock fan is useless for anything above factory specs.

Core 2 Duo + AMD64's actually have pretty god stock coolers, same with graphics cards (if their not Passive)
Quote from Forbin :Unless a part is massively under rated from the factory, there's really no point to overclocking. The risks far outweight the very marginal (and in almost all cases unnoticeable) gains.

yeah, your right, i overclocked my 3700 CPU so it's effectively a 5000, its faster than a FX57 by a fair bit, its 40% overclocked and 100% stable - a newer CPU (ie a 4000, the fastest single core, non-FX) would be slower and cost more
Quote from Jakg :yeah, your right, i overclocked my 3700 CPU so it's effectively a 5000, its faster than a FX57 by a fair bit, its 40% overclocked and 100% stable - a newer CPU (ie a 4000, the fastest single core, non-FX) would be slower and cost more

If you're happy, who am I to tell you otherwise? Try this though: drop your CPU back down to stock speed. Start playing some games and see if you can tell the difference in performance.
#22 - Jakg
Quote from Forbin :If you're happy, who am I to tell you otherwise? Try this though: drop your CPU back down to stock speed. Start playing some games and see if you can tell the difference in performance.

tried - my PC is usually CPU limited, in LFS it was dropping below 30 FPS in the starts, whereas its ALWAYS above 35 with the overclock

(Hi-res textures, 8xAA btw)
that all jak?

my Stock System runs 8xAA 8xAF, All the Hi-Res updates, inc reflection Mod, and i get like 40+ FPS on a full grid
#24 - Jakg
gizmo, hi-res texutures (i have ALL of them :P) and hi-res (2048 skins) at BL Rallycross
djgizmo68 voted to say jak sux (1/2)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG