The online racing simulator
High Quality 22 inch widescreen lcd?
(29 posts, started )
Im currently in the process of selling both of my monitors on ebay, one just sold, My 70gx2-bk is still there, if you want it... And was wondering what the best 22 inch lcd monitor is. I was looking at the 226bw from samsung, and think thats what im going to be getting. Anyone have this monitor, or a better one?
Viewsonic VG2230wm. Absolutely delighted with it. Nice crisp colours etc. I can't fault it. Price was good too. £270 incl vat. from scan.com

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Canada so that link isn't ideal.
just to let you know about the samsung 226bw, i was in the market for a new 22inch LCD screen too for a while. I came across the 226bw but found out that recent models have started using a different panel which (according to the majority of users) are mcuh more inferior to the original panels. theres a long discussion over at hard forums on this
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1144130
probably towards the middle to end of the thread youll see a lot of talk about S panel (the original) and the A panel thats being used now and how most people are returning their A panels trying to get a S panel or just cant deal with the A panel.
typical samsung and their care for the consumer =(

btw i got a tottally different monitor. an acer XL112WD (some sort of model number like that lol) i personally can see how it isnt the best, but hey i think it looks great and does work well for what i use it for. your needs may be different. (x360, websurfing, dual monitor with laptop for extra video edting space.)
I just got a Dell 22" Widescreen lcd monitor, its bloody marvellous, so good for race games, flight sims and photoshop stuff, breathed a new lease of life into a lot of my old games, once tweaked to run on widescreen format.
there was another post here a couple of weeks agi about widescreens too, which suggested that most of the main names (Taiwan/Korea leading the manufacture field) used generic flat panel displays from the same big chinese factory source. Now some areas of my business encroach on the FPD market so I would suggest there is a fair bit of truth in this statement. Therefore there may really not be much difference in quality between the different brands, you just pay more for some names and smarter styling (Sony, HP) with the basic quality being the same. In this case, I'd go for the best you can afford within reason; if there's a cheap chinese one more than £50 cheaper than a Dell or Samsung, for example then I would be suspicious. Otherwise Samsung are now world leaders in FPD technology along with Panasonic and Hitachi, who will all now sell as Japanese (more money) but use overseas (China & Korea) components.
#5 - J.B.
Here`s a great link that lists which panels are used in which screen models.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

In short TN panels aren't that great, IPS and PVA panels are better and Dell sells the cheapest non-TN screens. They also have more features than most others like HDCP and Aspect Ratio controls.
Sony FW900. Same screen size and shape as a 22" widescreen LCD, but oh so much nicer if you can find one in good condition.
I have an HP W22 Widescreen and it is fast enough to run games (5ms) yes i know the samsung is faster (2ms), but i like the design of the W22 :P
#8 - Bean0
I have a Sammy 226BW (S panel) and am perfectly happy with it.

There's a discussion thread on the forums for the place I bought it from, no-one has mentioned getting the A panel version yet.
I couldn't tell you which one to get. I have a similar 22" viewsonic, with black swivel base (~300) which I just love. I don't know how demanding you are when it comes to lcd's but I love mine. What size screen are you using now? When I jumped from 17" ws to 22" ws it blew my mind!
Thanks Stu.

I am currently using a 17" 4:3 LCD.
Hey bdshan!

This is the one I got about a month ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... aspx?Item=N82E16824116060

Not the best probably, but one thing you should look for:

HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT. I didn't think i needed it, but thank goodness mine has it. Racing without the screen at eye level just is NOT fun.

Good luck with the descions! You Wont be dissappointed (less you try other games, and then your fps will bite the big one).
I've got a Samsung 226BW. Nice enough screen, even for an LCD. A friend of mine has a Viewsonic 22" and that looks nice enough too, really very little difference between his panel and mine IMO.

Only problem I had with the 226BW was finding one - took me three weeks to get mine! One place I called said they were expecting 15 units in the following week and they 40 people waiting, it was the same story pretty much everywhere.

Edit: Oh, the stand supplied with the 226BW is crap, no height adjustment. So I had to buy a better stand.
Quote from thisnameistaken :the stand supplied with the 226BW is crap, no height adjustment. So I had to buy a better stand.

This is the exact reason I wqent with the ViewSonic 2230WM. I figured why pay the extra money for the stand when I can get it with the monitor. It looks amazing. I was completely shocked by the size at first since I was moving from a 17" lcd.
Quote from bdshan :This is the exact reason I wqent with the ViewSonic 2230WM. I figured why pay the extra money for the stand when I can get it with the monitor.

Well, I was looking for a 22 that came with a portrait-rotating stand, and none of them do, so I knew I'd have to buy a replacement stand no matter which panel I bought.
#17 - Osco
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've got a Samsung 226BW. Nice enough screen, even for an LCD. A friend of mine has a Viewsonic 22" and that looks nice enough too, really very little difference between his panel and mine IMO.

Only problem I had with the 226BW was finding one - took me three weeks to get mine! One place I called said they were expecting 15 units in the following week and they 40 people waiting, it was the same story pretty much everywhere.

Edit: Oh, the stand supplied with the 226BW is crap, no height adjustment. So I had to buy a better stand.

yesterday I picked up a new samsung 225bw, love it
#19 - VIP
I'm going to buy a big LCD monitor, probably a 226BW, but I'm in doubt if a Geforce 8800 320mb with a C2D 6600 will be enough to play games at 1600x1200 with good FPS.

Any opinion?
#20 - Jakg
my 7950GT can play games at 1680*1050, ie BF2, max AA, 60 fps etc so yours should be fine

EDIT - Mines the 256 MB version, fyi
Quote from VIP :I'm going to buy a big LCD monitor, probably a 226BW, but I'm in doubt if a Geforce 8800 320mb with a C2D 6600 will be enough to play games at 1600x1200 with good FPS.

Any opinion?

It's 1680x1050, so slightly less pixels than 1600x1200.

From what I have read it will be fine in all games expect those newer ones with really demanding graphics (Stalker etc) where you may have to turn down AA and AF. This is down to the video textures exceeding the 320mb of the graphics card.
#22 - VIP
Ok. Thank you very much for the answers.
Quote from srdsprinter : When I jumped from 17" ws to 22" ws it blew my mind!

You really need to broaden your horizons
What do you mean by "tops out"? I can assure you my 7900GT 256MB runs 1920x1200 all day long.

If you're refering to framerate, I don't see any change in performance in LFS between 640x480 and 2048x1280 with 4x AA. Other games are obviously a different story. I get a constant 100 fps in CS:S at 1600x1000 with 4x AA, and something like 30-40 fps in R6: Vegas at 1280x800.
Quote from Forbin :What do you mean by "tops out"? I can assure you my 7900GT 256MB runs 1920x1200 all day long.

If you're refering to framerate, I don't see any change in performance in LFS between 640x480 and 2048x1280 with 4x AA. Other games are obviously a different story. I get a constant 100 fps in CS:S at 1600x1000 with 4x AA, and something like 30-40 fps in R6: Vegas at 1280x800.

He means the same as my previous post.

To play the latest games with all the eye candy turned on, the 320mb RAM becomes a limiting factor due to the size of the textures at higher resolutions.

It is recommended to go for a 640mb version or a higher card like the 8800GTX if you want to play at a res of above 1680x1050 to allow for this.

Only really applies if you are using an LCD with a native res, on a CRT you could knock the res down without the associated blurryness.

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG