The online racing simulator
Aston corner cutting
(57 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
Aston corner cutting
This late into S2 and "that" corner on the Aston track is still an issue.

I am on about the Aston chicane before the start straight. I was on a server racing GTRs the other night and many people just launched at full speed over the sand, landed the other side and gained seconds on everyone.

It must be quick to add a tire wall in the middle of this problem corner. If not how about an automatic stop go if you go through the sand trap above a certain speed as that would imply you were trying to cut it.

We have a non-compatible patch coming soon, this must be an ideal time to solve this.
#2 - wark
+1 from me.

it may be good, but it would look hideous!

i dont want to see tires all over the tracks juts because some loosers who can't win for their lives cross a beautiful piece of scenery

honestly.. that turn is the signature mark of aston
We have already added a tyre barrier to stop this on our servers
How about just make it really rough so that after cutting the corner a few laps in a row, you get considerable suspension damage?
#6 - JTbo
Spike strips FTW
I think the sand should slow you down quicker than it currently does.
Just adding some moveable objects there would improve the corner, the tires would be enough to ruin the corner for people cutting
#9 - wark
Quote from XCNuse :-1

it may be good, but it would look hideous!

i dont want to see tires all over the tracks juts because some loosers who can't win for their lives cross a beautiful piece of scenery

honestly.. that turn is the signature mark of aston

well, it doesn't have to be tires. the black flag sort of option does sound ideal in a lot of situations... nevertheless I'm sure something simpler could be done without ruining the look (if that really is so important).
#10 - JTbo
Quote from wark :well, it doesn't have to be tires. the black flag sort of option does sound ideal in a lot of situations... nevertheless I'm sure something simpler could be done without ruining the look (if that really is so important).

You can always bury spike strips to sand so they barely are visible if at all and they still effectively pop you tires
I'd rather wait for more realistic damage. They won't be jumping the chicane when it takes the front of the car off and lodges it under the wheels. In the meantime it will be nice to see people driving some different circuits for a change, then I might get the occasional multiplayer race and I won't have to spend all my time racing the AI.
Quote from wheel4hummer :How about just make it really rough so that after cutting the corner a few laps in a row, you get considerable suspension damage?

It works like that already but some people just don't care about damages.
That's the reason why we had to add a tyre barrier.

The problem also exists on some other tracks, for instance Kyoto (National and GP).
dunno once we get better body damage it will help there too

you get a GTR in there.. that hill is gonna rip off that front spoiler and then you're basically screwed from there on

of course.. if suspension damage doesn't do the trick
#14 - Woz
Quote from EeekiE :I think the sand should slow you down quicker than it currently does.

Actually does not matter as a GTR spec car launched right does not touch the sand at all.

Quote from OTHERS :About tire stacks looking shite

Yep, I like the track look at the mo and love that corner sequence but something is needed.

I think the stop/go might be the solution. Lets face it. In the course of normal racing people make mistakes and will end up in the sand trap on that sequence.

BUT the characteristic of a corner cut ar such that the driver will be going near to flat out when they try and cut so it should be possible to detect. Use the hot lap validation area and it you cross into the area over a certain speed (Something ralated to % of top speed for the car) then issue a stop go.

Due to the nature of that corner it should be possible to automate stop-go penalties and be right most of the time as you have to slow a lot to make the corner unless you are going to cut it.
You don't get it.
People who are doing such things don't care at all about damages and penalties.
They do it either for having a fast lap time or to annoy (I'm polite) another driver on purpose.
Only way to stop this is to add a physical barrier so they can't cut the corner anymore.
-1 ive seen it a lil bit on an stcc server
if i see such ppl doing that on purpose i just tell it the other racers and start a kickvote against them.
they will learn it.
i never even pay attenetion to that corner
The Devil's solution: remove the clipping in the sand so that anyone driving into it falls through the ground and is forced to pit/spectate. :evil:
-1 When you are racing on oficial champ the marshals will do the better of penalty. So if you are in public servers do the same or do it clean.
There's other places this is an issue & something more concrete (well, maybe) needs sorting. It spoils it for me to race with somebody who overtakes 'off track' or gets good lap times because they've missed out a big chunk of track. Problem is, people do sometimes genuinely miss a turn & it would be a pity to turn every track into arnco laden city tracks...
+1 for spikes. Sharp spikes.
#23 - JTbo
If suspension model would be such that there would be suspension arms and balljoints etc. and all those would have defined strength, that would perhaps limit this a bit as when someone cuts that corner it would be very likely that one suspension component would fail, for example balljoint at lower arm, that would cause car to be undrivable.

So better damage model would help.

Also along with spike strips there could be sharp pylons that shoot up from sand piercing car at mid air and leaving it hang there like an trophy...
+1 for a nice big wall.
#25 - aoun
can we have a bigg angry giant who sits in the middle so no one cuts? or would that be asking too much?

Aston corner cutting
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG