The online racing simulator
holy poop [how to get higher FPS]
(27 posts, started )
holy poop [how to get higher FPS]
hello. i just messed around with my graphical settings. i am running a STOCK compac and i have the stock video card.normaly i run about 10 fps.
but i messed around with my settings and found out that i can run a amasing 20 fps when online with under 11 cars
can anybody tell me if this is good. or is there any thing else i should to to increase speed besides getting a video card
thanks
well, one thing for sure its nowhere near to be good.
even my outdated pc does make its 50 fps (full grid AA/AF on).
and to know whats making ur game running so slow u need to tell us what hardware u have.
CPU?
graphic card?

btw LFS is pretty CPU intense, but doesnt require a strong graphics card.
for reference, TV is approx 30 fps.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :btw LFS is pretty CPU intense, but doesnt require a strong graphics card.

sure it does
going from a FX5200 to an FX5500, 12mb to 256mb doubled my FPS

still need a new graphics card though, the 5500 sucks..
average of 60 fps (go over 100 though) , but no AA nor AF and its not.. fun
plus it can't run any new games these days

the only real time having a faster CPU will help is offline with AIs
#5 - Jakg
erm, LFS is CPU limited for a LOT of people (inc me, although not when i ramp up AA to 16x!).

LFS has to do the physics for the other 19 cars on track as well as you, too
Quote from XCNuse :sure it does
going from a FX5200 to an FX5500, 12mb to 256mb doubled my FPS

still need a new graphics card though, the 5500 sucks..
average of 60 fps (go over 100 though) , but no AA nor AF and its not.. fun
plus it can't run any new games these days

the only real time having a faster CPU will help is offline with AIs

well, it didnt really make a diff for me.

started with a radeon 9200SE (128 mb) and got 25 fps (as i had a duron 1600) later then got a radeon 9600 pro (256 mb) which gave me 1 fps more
only upgrading the cpu did really help, gave me a boost of almost 150%
Quote from Jakg :erm, LFS is CPU limited for a LOT of people (inc me, although not when i ramp up AA to 16x!).

LFS has to do the physics for the other 19 cars on track as well as you, too

yea... in offline mode it has to do those calculations, online most of it is sent through packets

i guess i wouldn't know though, last CPU i had was a P3 and had some really crappy geforce graphics card, back in S1 so i was screwed anyway

had an average of 30 fps

i had an average of about 20 fps when i first played the demo, then i soon found out how amazing the game looked at around 30 fps

and then after getting the computer i have now and the graphics card i have now how much better it looks over 50 fps (and i assure you, you can see the difference between 40 and 50 fps) anything beyond though.. you can't really tell much difference until you break 100 fps
#8 - Jakg
no, LFS sends player inputs (ie throttle, brakes, steering etc) and lets LFS work out where the car should go - every now and again (i thought about a second or so) LFS sends a packet saying where the car SHOULD be going.
Quote from shane-0-matic :hello. i just messed around with my graphical settings. i am running a STOCK compac and i have the stock video card.normaly i run about 10 fps.
but i messed around with my settings and found out that i can run a amasing 20 fps when online with under 11 cars
can anybody tell me if this is good. or is there any thing else i should to to increase speed besides getting a video card
thanks

I think i have the same computer as you but mine is a Compaq.

Only how I messed with my settings I get 45 FPS the lowest with a full grid

EDIT: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21924

Post number 11. Look at his graphic settings and try copying that and see if you get any better FPS.

Highest is in Autocross at 120FPS and it still looks decent!
Well... My fps sucks as much as you shane-0-matic, 16 is the normal for me [Imagine a full grid], I close every damn program and still being bad bad bad bad.

Ati Radeon 7000
Intel pentium 4 1.60GHz
256mb RAM

Damn You Hp pavillion 540n.
Quote from Blas89 :Well... My fps sucks as much as you shane-0-matic, 16 is the normal for me [Imagine a full grid], I close every damn program and still being bad bad bad bad.

Ati Radeon 7000
Intel pentium 4 1.60GHz
256mb RAM

Damn You Hp pavillion 540n.

try closing explorer.exe too, u can start it later again through the taskmanager.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :try closing explorer.exe too, u can start it later again through the taskmanager.

Yeah I'll try that later, I'll close everything.
Quote from wheel4hummer :NTSC - 29.97FPS
PAL - 25FPS

either way, your eye doesn't perceive a TV as it does a monitor
well the thing im trying to say is that i have done all the thing's that guy did in his pictures. but my point is that im running a STOck video card and over 3 quarters of my hard drive is used up and i have very low virtual memory.heres the description of my graphic card
intel(r)82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv

this is the 1 that came with my computer
Quote from XCNuse :either way, your eye doesn't perceive a TV as it does a monitor

The eye gathers the information in exactly the same way. TV video and monitor gaming are just very different types of sources and generated in different ways, hence the need for much higher frame-rates in gaming. Although that said, I'm waiting for the replacement for HDTV when they finally up the frame-rate. Even with motion blurred TV footage, 50fps looks much smoother than 25fps.
LFS IS pretty CPU intensive.. I for one was running under 100fps (sometimes 110fps) with my old setup in outside veiw (60-80FPS in dash) with my AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8ghz. I moved up to a A64 3200+ Venice (2.2ghz) and now I run 100-140fps in dash veiw and 130-200 fps in outside veiw.. That's a huge increase IMO. For just moving up a little.
lol. i looked at ur cockpit.
u have the same computer shell as my cusin
and the same monitor as me lol
Quote from shane-0-matic :lol. i looked at ur cockpit.
u have the same computer shell as my cusin
and the same monitor as me lol

.. I don't have that cockpit anymore unfortunelty took up too much room.. have the same case though.. with the lights removed. Too annoying at night
Quote from contourSVT :.. I don't have that cockpit anymore unfortunelty took up too much room.. have the same case though.. with the lights removed. Too annoying at night

yeah it did look pretty big.
im gona upload a pic of my cockpit on here
#21 - J.B.
Quote from evilgeek :for reference, TV is approx 30 fps.

A myth that just doesn't want to die. A TV screen refreshes at twice that rate which means 50-60 Hz motion smoothness. For some reason not many people care or are aware of this which is the reason why every video from the internet that is not a hollywood movie (24 fps) looks like crap, especially sports.
Yeah but that's only true for interlaced video, where half the screen updates each frame. On progressive material the fact each frame gets drawn twice isn't really going to help smoothness.
Try like this
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
#24 - J.B.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah but that's only true for interlaced video, where half the screen updates each frame. On progressive material the fact each frame gets drawn twice isn't really going to help smoothness.

True. But that's only the case for content that is coming from real film cameras as opposed to video cameras such as the ones used to record sports and racing. Video cameras record at 50/60 fields per second yet all videos found on the internet are deinterlaced to 25/30 fps which is a technique that should really only be used for film content. But in a day and age where youtube and FLV videos are popular what can you expect?

HDTV cameras can of course record at 720p 50/60 fps but at the rate things are going in Europe it doesn't look like HD is going to go mainstream anytime soon.
i got 100 fps all the time

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG