The online racing simulator
Training - do you bother?
(37 posts, started )

Poll : How far have you got on the LFS training missions?

I've done them all Big grin
I don't bother
I gave up in the demo lessons
I've nearly got it finished (last one available)
I gave up in the S2 lessons
I gave up in the S1 lessons
Do you bother with the LFS training missions?

The problem is that the AI in the overtaking ones should be called Stevie Wonder, David Blunkett and - er - I don't know.
I did em all one night when the only servers available were ones I didn't want to drive on. These days when I find myself in that situation (every time I start LFS) I just go do something else. My garden is looking quite nice.
#3 - Jakg
did them all when i bought S2 - quite fun, actually
I made all of them, but only in the AI overtake lessons i got Ace-status
#5 - bbman
Quote from duke_toaster :Do you bother with the LFS training missions?

The problem is that the AI in the overtaking ones should be called Stevie Wonder, David Blunkett and - er - I don't know.

Just overtake them one at a time and you won't have any problems...
Quote from duke_toaster :The problem is that the AI in the overtaking ones should be called Stevie Wonder, David Blunkett and - er - I don't know.

Helen Keller, I tell you what.
#7 - S0ul
Iwould like to see more of them,they are fun and really help i think. I played every lesson at least 3 times. I needed something to do,when no one was online
I ran through a few of them and got bored. I feel i know enough about driving, and more would be gained from getting straight out on the track with others.

I can see how it would definitely be useful to newcomers to sim racing though.

Having no proper rally sim experience when i got RBR (only played CMR before that) i went through the driving school lessons several times with that, and it was invaluable.
Quote from The Moose :Having no proper rally sim experience when i got RBR (only played CMR before that) i went through the driving school lessons several times with that, and it was invaluable.

I remember my first experience with the RBR "Rally School". Lesson 1; you're invited to drive the Scooby around the car park for a bit and park it in the yellow box when you're ready to go on to the next lesson. I drove it around for all of 30 seconds before I got it stuck under a skip!
Quote from thisnameistaken : I drove it around for all of 30 seconds before I got it stuck under a skip!

:ices_rofl ahh..that got me laughing....nice work
The thing with me is that I am in a situation where the three open are Raceabout Overtaking at Aston Club, FZR overtaking at KY Grand Prix and FO8 overtaking at Westhill (The last one!).

The RAC is just horribly oversteery with the normal setup (I like my setups with a little bit of understeer and a VERY tight rear end) - which you have to use.

The FZR demonstrates how Porsche couldn't design a worse handling car than the 911 if they actually tried, rear mounted engines are just silly - MR or even front-mid engines provide significantly better weight distribution.

When driving the FO8, I keep half my mind avoiding wheelspin, and it doesn't help if you are racing Stevie Wonder.
The rally school stage is great fun for practicing, if i remember the stage was only around 1:20 and pretty fast, The cars feel nice and powerfull and are great for some hot rally action

1 min your fine next its.... TREE!
Quote from duke_toaster :The thing with me is that I am in a situation where the three open are Raceabout Overtaking at Aston Club, FZR overtaking at KY Grand Prix and FO8 overtaking at Westhill (The last one!).

Overtaking AI at Westhill is easy - there are so many places where the AI is appallingly slow, and heavy braking areas where you can out-brake them from 50 metres behind. Similar story with KY GP really (I tried to train AI LX6s around there but still beat them in an LX4).

The AS Club one is quite hard though IIRC just because it's a short circuit and there aren't enough overtaking opportunities. I think I made a point of passing them all at T1.

Quote from FOGlegsy :The rally school stage is great fun for practicing, if i remember the stage was only around 1:20 and pretty fast, The cars feel nice and powerfull and are great for some hot rally action

1 min your fine next its.... TREE!

Oh that sums up the whole RBR experience for me. I start out a bit cautious, hook a few corners up and I'm thinking "This is going well, the car feels great, I'm in the zone!" and the moment I gain a bit of confidence - whoops! Call out the helicopter.

I still love it though.
duh i made EVERY training lesson a few times cuz anyhow it seems to reset to zero every time again when i apply a new patch
Well i did all the lessos and then it didnt save them.:doh: so i dont know which pole to pick.
Quote from duke_toaster :Do you bother with the LFS training missions?

You can improve the skills of your AI. See this thread. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21632

I never bothered with training missions. I was fast as soon as I started playing lol
I got pro on many lessons
Quote from herki :I got pro on many lessons

Same here, but done with KB stabilized. All overtaking lessons finished with a pro score.

Enough said. :sleep1:
#19 - S0ul
In my opinion,the overtaking missions are no problem....but i still cant get that MRT Autocross course on pro...thats a tough one
I did them all, one day when I was very, very bored, and pretty depressed to tell the truth LOL.

They were ok, drove many cars that I had not driven before, the AI tests were terrible though.........

My missus has recently started doing them ,she found the first few quite fun
There's training in LFS?
I started working through them a while back, but the overtaking lessons are the stumbling block, because a lot of the time you can't progress because the AI keeps bouncing you off walls.

But the single-player lessons are pretty well done.
Other. Starting S2 lessons
Did them all when they were first introduced to LFS, and sometimes when I'm bored I run through a few of them. Though yes, with the current AI the overtaking missions are probably the most frustrating for newcomers, even if they're by far not the hardest to get Pro on. Overall the lessons make sense for people who just found LFS, so they can get a feel for the cars and physics, but they're hardly training for more experienced racers.
I did all the demo ones and got pro in all of them except for xfg and xrg slalom, theyre impossible i tells ya! Its a great idea tho, just so that people can get an idea of how the cars handle in the game. Oh and if anyone has any tips for the slalom's i'd like to hear em

(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG