The online racing simulator
how do learn to shoot people more accuratly?
(50 posts, started )
#1 - efast
how do learn to shoot people more accuratly?
im not going to kill anyone, but a good friend is throwing a big birthday party in two weeks and he invited 40ish friends, and is going to be a BIG army paint ball fight, down in the predator paintball field at Inglara Creek, Michelago NSW.

i am invited to go as well, and just because its going to be 20 vs 20 somthing its gonna be like a big CS game in life , so is there anyway i can find something to learn before i go, such as how to shoot more accuratly (CS wont help in this one)
Got anything like Quasar (It's called Q-Zar in a lot of places) or any laser tag centres near you? Laser tag is great fun, good practice for paintball and IMO it's better if there is a centre near you (if you get hit you're only out for 5 seconds unless there are lots of them, it's cheaper, you don't get covered in paint and it doesn't hurt if someone trys to shoot you in the crotch).

Best tip from my (laser tag, not paintball) experience is to choose a tactic and STICK TO IT.

Either stay at one point and shoot anything that moves from there or run in Rambo-style (I actually don't advise that one for paintball).

Just shoot anything that moves, basically. You can't learn aim, so don't try. Tactics is something you CAN learn.
#3 - CSU1
yep, bring two guns, trip-wire and hide up in the trees works for me
#4 - efast
Quote from duke_toaster :
Either stay at one point and shoot anything that moves from there or run in Rambo-style (I actually don't advise that one for paintball).

Just shoot anything that moves, basically. You can't learn aim, so don't try. Tactics is something you CAN learn.

nice, i will do that

and the "rambo-style" is classic
And if your team-mate gets eliminated grab his gun and run around with two guns a la Halo 2.
Unfortunately you often find on paintballing sites that most guns shoot radically differently, especially if they're older ones, simply due to the number of knocks they get, etc. Some will "lean" left, and others right.

A good general trick is to hold the gun high-ish (á la MP5 in games like counterstrike) and use the barrel as a rudimentary sight. Use the first few games to get used to it, then go mental
#7 - efast
Quote from duke_toaster :And if your team-mate gets eliminated grab his gun and run around with two guns a la Halo 2.

hey good to see you duke, long time, and 2 guns sounds heroic

Quote from the_angry_angel :
A good general trick is to hold the gun high-ish (á la MP5 in games like counterstrike)

i will definitely try that
The closer you are to your intended target the more likely you are to hit it

Even most new paintball guns are fairly inaccurate due to the nature of the projectiles

So with that in mind I'd recommend rambo style
#9 - dadge
some paintball guns will fire a ball and it will drop 0.5m every 5m so you will need to take a "sighting" shot first and then adjust your aim accordingly. got me some cracking head shots with this technique.
I always use the technique, shoot 3 shots at once, because the wind changes slightly from minute to minute, so you have to aim slightly differently all the time...

The ideal would be to use standard fire technique, get close without being noticesd, 2 shots to chest and 1 to head!

Be careful though, last time I went paitballing I got shot from below and had a peice of a jaw broken off!
The basic rule of paintball is:

If it moves, shoot it;
If it ducks behind cover, shoot the cover so a friend can move on it;
If you are getting shot at, dont swet it, they're hopelessly inaccurate, just get in cover or run;
Teams that defend from the off cant win - only defend when you are loosing in order to get a draw;
Teams that split up between attackers and defenders have their defenders sitting out half the game whilst the attackers get picked off - paintball fields are small - so throw everyone into the front line and commit 'defeat in detail' on the other team

And yes, paintballs hurt like a bee sting - but provided you are not hit where it is sensitive the pain fades quickly.

EDIT: Oh, and those 100 paintballs they give you at the start of the day are not enough - I used buy half a box (now I dont play paintball, because I cant afford it ! lol)
#12 - JTbo
Just take few Aspirins before hand at pain is not so big issue
Good points Becky.
Yes, most of the guns are wildly inaccurate passed 10m or so. Especially after you get the inevitable exploded ball in the chamber.
I have only 1 point to add:
  • Put your paintballs in the freezer the night before
Quote from Thorvertonian :The ideal would be to use standard fire technique, get close without being noticesd, 2 shots to chest and 1 to head!

Most places have rules on the head...

Quote from Thorvertonian :Be careful though, last time I went paitballing I got shot from below and had a peice of a jaw broken off!

Which would explain this...
The best way to aim is with your finger. Generally speaking when you point to something you are on target. So aim down your finger and make the gun an extension of your finger. Learn your gun (where the ball comes down and any inaccuracy's it has) and then compensate for them.

Quote from Thorvertonian :The ideal would be to use standard fire technique, get close without being noticesd, 2 shots to chest and 1 to head!

Most sites have a rule where you cannot purposely shoot at the fact unless it is the only item of them you can see.

Quote from Thorvertonian :Be careful though, last time I went paitballing I got shot from below and had a peice of a jaw broken off!

Which is why you wear a face mask
I was wearing a face mask, but I was shot from under a bridge, so th epaintball entered inside the face mask!
have a fair going on around your house by any chance?

one of those machines with the ducks that go across that you shoot at may help

how about a gun range? i guess you dont get moving targets there though lol

dunno, i can't aim for crap to be honest out of all the guns i've shot (trust me i've shot a few), i guess i've never been told properly how to aim down the barrel, go to a local gun store and ask them, i bet they would be able to help tons more than anyone here can with words
#19 - Jakg
i went paintballing with some friends - first game, my friend was behind me (about 2 feet) - the game starts and about a second later he "tested his gun" and my arse went bright pink. My god did that sting!

Just buy LOTS of bullets and get ready for the shots, although the adrenaline kicks in and you dont feel it!
One thing to remember is that all paintball guns are innaccurate to some degree. That is just the nature of shooting a ball and not a bullet shaped object. One shot may go right, one left, the next could go down. As you're asking for tips, I'm assuming you do not have your own gun so you'll have to rent from the paintball place. (arena or field, btw? Woodsball is so much more fun than an indoor arena imho) That means you will more than likely end up with a Tippman 98 Custom for your paintball marker.

I own a 98C; it's cheap, reliable, and extremely easy to maintain. That's why most paintball places use these as rentals. It's terribly innaccurate at range, but within about 50 feet it's decent. Just throw paint at your target, and compensate as needed.

Oh yes; do NOT wear your paintball mask on the top of your head when you are not in play. Your head is where most of your body heat is lost, and you will have a worse time with the visor fogging up when you wear your mask on the top of your head that you will when you just take it off entirely. I give off a lot more body heat than a normal person, and so I have to take extra measures to make sure my mask doesn't fog up. Quite a pain, really.

Depending on the weather and the arena itself, you should wear two layers. As a first time paintballer, you won't want to be worried about the pain of being shot. A sweat-shirt will block out just about all of the pain on your torso, a pair of pyjama pants underneath of your normal pants will block out 99% of the pain on your legs. Don't worry about your nether-regions; such shots are extremely rare and I find it not worth wearing a cup. They're too uncomfortable and a shot down there, while it may hurt a helluva lot (trust me!) it won't prevent you from making babies later in life.

As Becky said; defenders miss out on most of the game. Don't run into an arena and sit in the back corner waiting for an enemy to waltz by. Get out there and shoot your friends! Get your whole team together and get moving.

Oh yes; have fun! Paintball is one helluva fun and exciting sport. The pain is negligable most of the time, so don't worry about it.
Quote from MAGGOT :One thing to remember is that all paintball guns are innaccurate to some degree. That is just the nature of shooting a ball and not a bullet shaped object. One shot may go right, one left, the next could go down. As you're asking for tips, I'm assuming you do not have your own gun so you'll have to rent from the paintball place. (arena or field, btw? Woodsball is so much more fun than an indoor arena imho) That means you will more than likely end up with a Tippman 98 Custom for your paintball marker.

I own a 98C; it's cheap, reliable, and extremely easy to maintain. That's why most paintball places use these as rentals. It's terribly innaccurate at range, but within about 50 feet it's decent. Just throw paint at your target, and compensate as needed.

Oh yes; do NOT wear your paintball mask on the top of your head when you are not in play. Your head is where most of your body heat is lost, and you will have a worse time with the visor fogging up when you wear your mask on the top of your head that you will when you just take it off entirely. I give off a lot more body heat than a normal person, and so I have to take extra measures to make sure my mask doesn't fog up. Quite a pain, really.

Depending on the weather and the arena itself, you should wear two layers. As a first time paintballer, you won't want to be worried about the pain of being shot. A sweat-shirt will block out just about all of the pain on your torso, a pair of pyjama pants underneath of your normal pants will block out 99% of the pain on your legs. Don't worry about your nether-regions; such shots are extremely rare and I find it not worth wearing a cup. They're too uncomfortable and a shot down there, while it may hurt a helluva lot (trust me!) it won't prevent you from making babies later in life.

As Becky said; defenders miss out on most of the game. Don't run into an arena and sit in the back corner waiting for an enemy to waltz by. Get out there and shoot your friends! Get your whole team together and get moving.

Oh yes; have fun! Paintball is one helluva fun and exciting sport. The pain is negligable most of the time, so don't worry about it.

LOL nice explanation there, looke like u got some experience
#23 - Jakg
Quote from MAGGOT :As Becky said; defenders miss out on most of the game. Don't run into an arena and sit in the back corner waiting for an enemy to waltz by. Get out there and shoot your friends! Get your whole team together and get moving.

yup - ive got to agree, i was a paintball n00b and tried to snipe (i know - what a bad idea!) - then i tried to hide, only to have the enemy climb into a ditch covered by bushes and come up behind me. A friend went "rambo-style" when he ran outta bullets - he just ran with his gun facing at the enemy and they all ducked - it very nearly got us the flag, too!
Before aiming and shooting, push youserlf, push, really hard, until you hear the noise, than you will feel how much easyer is to focus now,but dont use this technique too often or you may poo.
As said before, forget about accuracy with those guns, so don't even bother firing single shots unless your target is really close...

Also one thing to mention for a paintball-firsttimer: The trigger is quite long, usually to put two fingers on it... Plus, the only limiting factor to how fast you shoot is how fast you can pull the trigger... So, if you use both fingers alternately, you can speed it up quite a bit...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG