The online racing simulator
RL cars: Which tires you consider best?
(25 posts, started )
#1 - JTbo
So tires for summer use, need to be good at highway and occasionally have to take good beating on track too.

Size is 185/60-14 or lower+wider 14" with 82 load rating

I'm thinking that Good Year Eagle gs-d2 might be best, but wouldn't harm to ask other opinions :P
I like round ones..they are like the smoothest.

How about: buy some for road, and another pair for track...compromises suck :P
I prefer octagonal ones, but just because I'm all nostalgic for feeling like being in LFS with a poor graphics card.
Goodyear Eagles are a good compromise tyre, less grip than the equivalent Pirellis, but better wearing. At the moment I'm using Firestones, but havn't been running them long enough to evaluate the wear yet.

A spare set of wheels for the track is a godsend (even if they're only steel wheels), just get decent partworns for them (or better yet, used slicks - I've found asking local race teams nicely will quite often land them for free).
An old Volvo with racing slicks would be worth seeing
But that's a racing brick, JTbo's version is not like that...close, but not quite :P
#8 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :But that's a racing brick, JTbo's version is not like that...close, but not quite :P

Yeah, my car is lot lighter and also much more beautiful than that

Wouldn't even dream to put slicks on it, poor thing would probably tip over in first corner Semi slicks or slicks and roll cage must go in first.

Yeah, I can get some for track, who is paying for new rims and tyres for me? What, where did everybody go?

I have plenty of thread left in current ones, but as it looks those will be worn out pretty soon because need to do lot more driving.

Btw, I know quite few Volvo's that are faster than same age Ferraris on track and on straight line, you never know when you get owned at traffic lights by one
Just go to the scrap yard and collect a set of steel wheels

Volvo T5Rs were quicker than most cars when bone stock ...
But if you buy a second set for track use only, they will last for years. Slicks or semi-slicks could be a waste, I suppose the car doesn't have that tight classic to get the full potential...or as you said, you really should have a roll-cage before those if you happen to roll over in the first turn

I would be careful with anything from scrap yard though, or second handed...well, just make sure they are round and safe so you don't have any nasty surprises, like the tire coming off the wheel.
#11 - JTbo
Quote from JamesK :Just go to the scrap yard and collect a set of steel wheels

Volvo T5Rs were quicker than most cars when bone stock ...

If you just knew prices of local scrap yards, phew do they put gold coating to wheels or what? Could get some alloys for tenner or two, but have temporarily storage problem as I have eight 13" wheels with tires already in basement + those on car, also for my usage road tires are just fine, track days are just something where to let out some steam and get reminders of how close limit sometimes can be.

Yea, T5R sure was/is fast, but bit fatty and FWD, why they had to invent such thing is beyond my understanding, same with NA diesel, I mean what purpose that does serve? It is not enough powerful to keep up with pace of traffic, it is not so economical compared to turbo version and so on and so on, can't understand what has been in mind of designer of such ridiculous engine?

Fast old Brick for Blackout
Quote from JTbo :
Fast old Brick for Blackout

Oh, humbug. Thought it could have been a brick thrown out of a plane, but instead it was some hissing blue square made by our beloved Swedish neighbors.

Very disappointed.
#13 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :Oh, humbug. Thought it could have been a brick thrown out of a plane, but instead it was some hissing blue square made by our beloved Swedish neighbors.

Very disappointed.

Your exceptations were completely on wrong level

That thing was easily faster than Audi RS6 that also did run there on that day, lovely sound too and no I'm not talking about RS6

But I have not found out better tyre yet as it seems to be that other tyres are not so good for road or just terrible bad on track, where is competition?
Any stats of that mighty blue square? It does sound it had a huge turbo...if it wasn't that tiny red car..which I doubt very much.

I'm sure you won't find tires that would be good on the track, wouldn't wear much and would work great on the road too. Sounds impossible to me.
#15 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :Any stats of that mighty blue square? It does sound it had a huge turbo...if it wasn't that tiny red car..which I doubt very much.

I'm sure you won't find tires that would be good on the track, wouldn't wear much and would work great on the road too. Sounds impossible to me.

Oh, I'm sure there is no such tires, just best compromise and at least better than what I have now (Viking pro-tech 500)

Some stats, it got bucket size turbo and sequential gear box, race clutch, it is actually faster than Group-a 240 as it pushed out around 400hp (standard block). Video is from 2004 and so is other info from that time in my memory so surely I have forgotten a lot.

Tiny red car was race car Toyota Celica (race number on door and all) that was brought there with trailer as was Volvo too because you really cant slip that clutch a much, it is tires that slip...
I have always like Kumho's. Alot of performance for not much money.
Potenza RE-01R or Advan Neova AD07
I have these on my car ATM. They are a dual compound tire that works well in both wet and dry but sacrifices the max on both to be able to handle both very well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/ ... Model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

Potenza's are always a good buy. I will probably go with those for my next set. That way I don't have to import my BFG's
#19 - JTbo
Good tires all, but nothing of those are made in 14" size that is just enough big, going bigger just adds weight and can't do anything with extra grip

Besides 17" wheels are hardly going to fit because of strut design anyway
Well the BFG's go as small as 205 15's

I don't think your going to find a lot of performance tires in the 14inch size range.
#21 - JTbo
Quote from Viper93 :Well the BFG's go as small as 205 15's

I don't think your going to find a lot of performance tires in the 14inch size range.

Good year Eagle gs-d2 is one I have found, seem to be that there really is no competition :P

Also Toyo Proxes had 14" sizes unless I remember wrong, but those are used in Cup for these cars, performance is tad too high for me in those tires however

Videos from cup Cars are stock by rules, springs and dampers can be changed but else must be stock, see no big wings = more fun
Edit: oh yes mainpage where those videos are is http://www.suzannejager.nl/
haha u race 340's as cup cars? thats somtrhing i'd like to see. my mum had a 240GLT years and years ago, it was a beast but the RWD eventually got the better of her and she slide of a snowy road into a pub. How does the 240 compare to the 242, is the 242 newer?
Personally I'd get rubbishy cheap tyres that are nice and hard and long lasting (economy tyres as it were). That way you won't have much grip (more fun as 'the limit' will occur at lower, safer and more playful speeds, you won't have to replace your tyres as often (even with spirited, albeit slower driving), and if you get a puncture it's not a big problem to replace...

Can't see the point of getting sticky tyres other than being driving under the mistaken belief that higher speeds = better (without considering the social and moral implications of that). Even on a track, unless you are in a competition, wouldn't it be better to have more fun at the limit of the tyres than have the suspension or the brakes being the weak link and you having to tippytoe around everywhere...
-
(Vain) DELETED by Vain
#24 - JTbo
Quote from Stuart Fleming :haha u race 340's as cup cars? thats somtrhing i'd like to see. my mum had a 240GLT years and years ago, it was a beast but the RWD eventually got the better of her and she slide of a snowy road into a pub. How does the 240 compare to the 242, is the 242 newer?

V360Cup Geen modena (Not modena) is Dutch racing series where they race Volvo 360GLT cars, that is completely different to 340 as 360GLT has 2ltr Volvo redblock with 4 point injection (B200E and B200F to be exact) and various other differences that don't matter in this context
I'm just fan of that series, not racing, I wish I could, but not possible at the moment. I just go sometimes to track days to local track, enough for now

242 is older in 200 series they used labeling as 242 (two door sedan), 244 (four door sedan) and 245 (Five door estate/wagon). 26x models where top of line more luxurious versions with powerful engines, typically PRV V6 engine that is found also from De Lorean, but to US markets they made 26x models with Turbo redblocks too.

Ok, that is from memory, so sorry if there is minor errors

Tristan is on right tracks, no point to get super sticky race tires, just some bit better road tires that can take bit punishment too. Need also to drive 150km a day in future so need to plan bit of that too, however it is most likely that I just get other car for work driving, something less thirsty
Quote from Vain :I used to drive a car that was used in a small private racing series and so we had some nice tyres from Kumho on it. On the track those were fine, but on a monday morning in the forrests it was like driving on ice. Any random summer tyre for half the price would've outperformed them.

I'm curious. Did you run the same inflation pressures on the street as you did at the track? Were the pressures lower than the "normal street tires" you'd otherwise have probably used?

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG