The online racing simulator
Increase maximum FOV limit
(8 posts, started )
#1 - Ricou
Even if it would be usefull only for people who play with 3 monitors, I think it would be a good idea to allow higher FOVs than 120°.

I'm asking this because I tried to run LFS with 3 screens, and as I tried to drive, I realised that 120° wasn't enough for such a wide view.
#2 - Renku
#3 - Ricou
#4 - Ricou
Maybe I shouldn't insist, but now I use 3 screens, I have to use a memory-editor to change the FOV to 138° each time I want to play.

It's not only annoying, it's also irritating because don't understand what this limit is for. Moreover, removing it would be easy, wouldn't it be ?

I hope I will get noticed a little bit more this time.
#5 - Woz
Quote from Ricou :Maybe I shouldn't insist, but now I use 3 screens, I have to use a memory-editor to change the FOV to 138° each time I want to play.

It's not only annoying, it's also irritating because don't understand what this limit is for. Moreover, removing it would be easy, wouldn't it be ?

I hope I will get noticed a little bit more this time.

The FOV is detatched from the width of the render for wide screen (3 monitor) displays.

Can you post a screen grab at 138fov, my guess is that there will be huge warping in the middle of the screen.

This is the reason for the limits. Once you reach that sort of FOV you need curved displays to display without distortion.

LFS is geared to extend the render across the 3 screens correctly no matter the FOV. Scawen uses a 3 screen setup so I am sure he understands the issues.
How close do you have to sit to your monitors to have a greater than 120-degree FoV? I just plugged in a 22" widescreen monitor the other day, it's right at the front of my desk but it's still occupying less than 45 degrees of my FoV.
#7 - Ricou
I sit pretty close from my monitors and I can't change this, so I can't use a FOV of 120° because I wouldn't see what's happening on the sides.

Another reason I use 138° is that it gives me the same view on my main screen than before, when I was playing with 1 monitor and a 85° FOV (you can verify with attached pictures).
And driving with a really different FOV (like 120°) would disturb me a lot, as I've always been driving with 85° before I got 3 screens.

Maybe I could drive with a little less than 138°, it could be nicer and more immersive, but not those very narrow 120°

By the way, in the pictures, 120° may look better than 138°, but I had to move back a lot to take it, whereas I sit really closer when I drive (see the 2nd 138° pic).
i noticed this when i had 2 screens set up, when you are on one screen and the fov is set to 120, you can see a lot more both side to side and up and down then you can on a multi screen set-up. Lfs get "cut-off" if you will at the top and bottom, scales itself for the wider aspect ratio. There should be options in the game for multi screen set-ups, which increases the fov, if you have 3 22 inch monitors (some people do) you whould have them curved to about 150 degrees, and depending on how close you sit to them, they could take up ~180 degrees of your view. Humans have a wide peripheral vision that allows us to see ~180 degrees of what is around us when we are looking straight ahead, we can still see things that are directly to our sides. thats why we need more then 120 degree viewing angle. I have often wondered what it would be like to set up several projectors in a round room with a 360 degree viewing angle.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG