The online racing simulator
Karts To S3
(44 posts, started )
Karts To S3
MRT5 is too much cool.. but it has gears, is so different of a real KART!!

i would love to see

KARTS like a real one!
JUST ONE GEAR!
MORE SMALL TRACK (like 1.4KM to 2KM maximum)
SMOKES TO KARTS like real!

so, just have to wait!!

regards
HERÁ
the MRT is NOT a kart, it's an SAE Formula Student car, modelling of the MRT-5 of McGill University in Montreal.
Am I the only one to find the MRT almost impossible to control in S2? It's so twitchy, maybe my skill is not up to it, but I could get half decent times round South City in the MRT in S1, I'm lucky to do 2 consecutive clean laps now!

Anyone else have problems controlling this vehicle? (with ff wheel)
Nah, MRT is very nice to drive once you get a good setup. And it takes a while to develop a good setup.

I haven't worked on a new set lately, but this is one that I made that was fairly good. Not made for SO's bumps though.

EDIT: Oh also, make sure and turn up your center steer reduction settings -- or whatever it is called.

And I do miss the S1 MRT style, it is a whole lot different now. BUT, I like how it feels now. You have to use the suspension and make it work like it is supposed to. In S1, there was bogus setups that were nothing like how the real car would have been set up. Also making a setup for the car teaches you a lot about the concepts behind the physics in S2... very tricky at first, but y ou can figure it out.
Attached files
MRT5_Tweak CADET.set - 132 B - 940 views
MRT5_ASTON GP.set - 132 B - 921 views
Me! And I was pretty damn good in S1 (3rd in Hotlap chart at SO1).

Hopefully better setups will make it more drivable... just need clever peeps to make good setups...
o know@@
Quote from tristancliffe :Me! And I was pretty damn good in S1 (3rd in Hotlap chart at SO1).

Hopefully better setups will make it more drivable... just need clever peeps to make good setups...

Man.. i really know that MRT5 is not a kart!!!

im a real go kart racer on brazil!!!

i said is :
WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A NEW CATEGORY
KARTS

BY THE WAY... im on 4th on LFS WORLD mrt5 category
Oh I thought you were complaining that the MRT isn't a kart.

If you want karts, why not post in the numerous "Karts for LFS" threads dotted around?
There are shifter karts too you know. What's this about MRT5 bashing? It handles so much better than in S1 it's untrue. Just throw about the clutch type diff, it's no good for this car. I've found my S1 sets, with a little fiddling (especially tyre pressures, where things have reversed), work very well.
Yes mee too.
Quote from al heeley :Am I the only one to find the MRT almost impossible to control in S2? It's so twitchy, maybe my skill is not up to it, but I could get half decent times round South City in the MRT in S1, I'm lucky to do 2 consecutive clean laps now!

The reason was a beginning slack in the wheel and the MRT5 was the first to show this. I tried lots of stuff like setting the toe in very stable but disassembling the wheel and removing the slack at the potentiometer axis did the trick.

I bet it is a Logitch Wingman Formula Force GP?
And the twitchiness is really actually good for what it is intented to do.... weave through cones at very low speeds .

For large track driving, being smooth requires very steady hands and steering

Still, I think it is MUCH too sensitive, and it would kill me to see Karts made in LFS that have the same steering feel, because a kart has a lot more resistance in the steering than this.
Quote from Thomas Fink :The reason was a beginning slack in the wheel and the MRT5 was the first to show this. I tried lots of stuff like setting the toe in very stable but disassembling the wheel and removing the slack at the potentiometer axis did the trick.

I bet it is a Logitch Wingman Formula Force GP?

That is spooky. Yes it is!
I am having problems with my Logitech FF GP, could you please explain further?
A Racingcart heave 2 gears and its so fast from 0-80 like a Formula1 car.
Quote from ajp71 :I am having problems with my Logitech FF GP, could you please explain further?

Take it apart, tighten up the fixings securing the pot to the casing. Lubricate bearings lightly. Put it back together again.
What are the chances of LFS Developers creating some gokarts. I think it would be a fantastic addition to LFS that no other sim has done for a long time, if at all.....

Something to consider?
Scawen has already considered it, but won't put them in a public release until he's been able to model them accurately. That means chassis flex. And Scawen hasn't yet coded chassis flexing into LFS.

It's on his wish list though, and has been for 4 or 5 years at least (probably much longer).
Quote from al heeley :Am I the only one to find the MRT almost impossible to control in S2? It's so twitchy, maybe my skill is not up to it, but I could get half decent times round South City in the MRT in S1, I'm lucky to do 2 consecutive clean laps now!

It's actually a great car to get to know the tracks. In the MRT you will learn the difference between curbstones and curbstones very fast because it won't forgive you if they are to high. It's also great to learn how to catch the car when it starts to spin when you go over the limit. Because of the small wheelbase you have to react very fast when that happens but with the low speeds of the car it's doable.
Quote from tristancliffe :Scawen has already considered it, but won't put them in a public release until he's been able to model them accurately. That means chassis flex. And Scawen hasn't yet coded chassis flexing into LFS.

It's on his wish list though, and has been for 4 or 5 years at least (probably much longer).

I don't know, if they made an MRT5 with one gear, less plastic and big bumpers around it i would believe it is a kart.
Quote from Bob Smith :There are shifter karts too you know. What's this about MRT5 bashing? It handles so much better than in S1 it's untrue. Just throw about the clutch type diff, it's no good for this car. I've found my S1 sets, with a little fiddling (especially tyre pressures, where things have reversed), work very well.

Yeah but the difference is that karts don't have suspension! :P I agree it would be really nice to have karts in LFS. Different categories too maybe. The slower 4 strokes to 2 stroke and shifter karts.
Quote from marzman :I don't know, if they made an MRT5 with one gear, less plastic and big bumpers around it i would believe it is a kart.

Methinks you need to go karting again soon
#20 - Dru
Quote from StableX :What are the chances of LFS Developers creating some gokarts. I think it would be a fantastic addition to LFS that no other sim has done for a long time, if at all.....

Something to consider?

Rumour has it that Victor was working on this very project yesterday

But Schhhhhuuu don't tell anyone ok Andy
if they do add karts they have to be the 250 supercarts
Quote from marzman : I don't know, if they made an MRT5 with one gear, less plastic and big bumpers around it i would believe it is a kart.

Never.

I would have pledged the same thing before I went karting. The feel of the kart is something completely different to the MRT, I found my pace going around the track was more limited to my physical strength and bravery - even the instructor said I shouldn't take the first tight right hander flat out, but after 10 laps I was just hanging on, almost screaming flying around this turn over huge bumps and practically drifting the last part of it.
I believe the difference in handling is quite a lot down to the center of gravity. The MRT has the rollcage stuck on top, which means a much higher CoG.
But it's okay, the MRT is not a kart, and shouldn't handle like one

Sometimes, I really do wish for nothing but a good kart simulator!
I like this idea, I'd definitely want karts in LFS. It would be something new and refreshing!
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
This reminds me, I tried rFactor again recently because a friend suggested trying out BRKart.. God awful.

Karts To S3
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG