The online racing simulator
auto gear ban?
(80 posts, started )
The actual truth is...

Zachary Zoomy: Does anyone know if it bans you for autogears here? Or is it the higher servers?
NightHawk: I'm not sure, thought just higher servers, but don't know.
Zachary Zoomy: Well, lets find out.
Zachary Zoomy disconnected, never to return again that evening.

Don't quote me on the exact text....

ok enough said. please close the thread. and yes i will not be eating and driving on any server ever again.
Heh, guess i will be taking a 24h break too . Forgot it wasn't allowed and started in manual on an autox track, then switched to auto as I usually use automatic on autocross courses as I can never find the right gear. I remember it wasn't allowed when I was kicked from the server
#29 - th84
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :ok enough said. please close the thread. and yes i will not be eating and driving on any server ever again.

Good idea.
Quote from Viper93 :
BTW you don't have to heal-toe, just give a good blip of the throttle on downshift and the gear should slide in. Could do this for upshift aswell but it will take you some time for the gearing to mesh.

How do you give a good blip on downshift without heel-toeing if you want to brake at the same time?

Why would you blip on upshift? You need the revs to drop to the next gear not rise.
Quote from Gentlefoot :How do you give a good blip on downshift without heel-toeing if you want to brake at the same time?

Why would you blip on upshift? You need the revs to drop to the next gear not rise.

Haha yeah that was me misstyping again...

Simply not use the clutch and give a nice big blip on downshift. I don't know about racecar transmisions but semi transmissions handle this just find. I use the clutch on upshift and just blip with my right foot as I brake with my left, same as I did driving semi.
Quote from mikey_G :I especially ripped this vid for people who don't heel and toe but still wanna blip the throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpqTZ6WeJk

Glad to see pro drivers doing the same thing, I don't hear of many drivers not using the clutch, it can go horribly wrong if your not careful and tear the whole inside out of the transmission.
most cars don't have semi automatic gearboxes though. The cars used in STCC definately wouldn't have auto clutch.
Quote from Viper93 : Glad to see pro drivers doing the same thing, I don't hear of many drivers not using the clutch, it can go horribly wrong if your not careful and tear the whole inside out of the transmission.

Yeah, in v8 supercars they use a pretty strong transmission. By the way, with the endurance races in v8 supercars pretty much no one does clutchless shifting to make sure the transmission lasts for quite some hours.
Even Greg Murphy (the person in the video) heel and toes it then.

You can check my youtube username for more v8 supercars videos and footwork.
http://www.youtube.com/profile ... user=somestupidusername84
Quote from Gentlefoot :most cars don't have semi automatic gearboxes though. The cars used in STCC definately wouldn't have auto clutch.

Well you don't NEED a semi-auto to do it, depends on how bullitprouf the transmission is that will allow the mating of the gears to happen under a little load.

Getting them out of gear is another matter, no chance of really getting it out of gear with full throttle, just let off quickly to release the pressure on the gears (IE coast, no engine braking) and pop it out of gear. Put gentle pressure on the next gear your going into until it slides in at the right RPM, ( key here is GENTLE, too much you will bend and break stuff, too little though and you will miss the gear)

It will cause more wear on the transmission than normal like shifter forks and you run the risk of chipping a gear but it can be done if your careful. Just have to have a transmission that doesnt use syncro's. I call them dog gear transmissions but I am from the backwoods in Wisconsin and I don't know the technical term =)
i am disabled and cannot race without an auto box
i guess im screwed
Quote from Viper93 :Well you don't NEED a semi-auto to do it, depends on how bullitprouf the transmission is that will allow the mating of the gears to happen under a little load.

Sure, you can change gear without a clutch even if the gearbox isn't sequential but there is absolutely no benefit to it when racing. The only time you might want to do this is if the clutch fails in your road car.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Sure, you can change gear without a clutch even if the gearbox isn't sequential but there is absolutely no benefit to it when racing. The only time you might want to do this is if the clutch fails in your road car.

No probably isnt any real benefit, but for those that don't care for Heel-toe it works good =)
Quote from Viper93 :No probably isnt any real benefit, but for those that don't care for Heel-toe it works good =)

Actually yeah - good point lol. For those who can't heel toe there is a benefit to it you're right.

Silly me

I tell you what though. I wouldn't do it in my track prepared mkII Golf. Gearbox is likely to let go at any moment anyway without me banging it through the syncros everytime I change gear
Quote from Gentlefoot :Actually yeah - good point lol. For those who can't heel toe there is a benefit to it you're right.

Silly me

I tell you what though. I wouldn't do it in my track prepared mkII Golf. Gearbox is likely to let go at any moment anyway without me banging it through the syncros everytime I change gear

Well if you want to put it that way sure =) Honestly that is the case though, I always find that in brake zones that are less than full brake or almost full brake I always find a way to tap the brake as I try to blip upsetting the car. I will have to learn it though for when my car gets here for when I do track-days.

Hehe yeah this method doesn't work with syncro's. There needs to be free movement and with Sycro's the gears are speeding up and slowing down at rates different than just the RPM(front 1/2 of transmission) and MPH (back 1/2 of transmission) giving you 2 more variables to work with, well 3 if you add in a quasi LSD like the one in my car that never really locks =)
good points but this thread has gone far enough. mods: please close the thread!
Zachary, rules are rules, they are there to be obeyed, if youdont like rules that are set on servers and want to question on them then why bother going to them. It makes it more of a simulation and therefore more fun/interesting. It also makes it fair for everyone, and as becky said, 30% less chance of crashing, i agree, i used to use auto-shift but now i use manual and find it fun and get more out of the car and more stability out of it too
tbh i dont like these rules either, especially the forced throttle cut on 3. but there is no point to have an argument, because it is just not wanted by the admins .

p.s. :
same goes for the blackwood layout. it doesn't punish the drive, who is cutting the chicane, it produces lots of flying tyres at the following drivers. yesterday, when i was starting from the back i had to evade (mostly unsuccessful) EVERY lap.
same as the major cutting that goes on around the fern bay club circuit,

The tyres are always spread across the track from the final chicane, people cutting left right and centre, ( we need some static objects)
Oil drums filled with cement should do the job
Quote from FOGlegsy :( we need some static objects)

Not static, but the tires/barriers should be tethered in some way so that they do not fly out onto the track. I'm sure this is what you mean though.
Tethered trackside tyres is a ruddy fantastic idea.

You know most tyre stacks that i've hit (and I know a few by first name) have had a restraining system of some form in them, but LFS deals with them as an individual tyre or stack of tyres.

I think you should put that into improvement suggestions right away
why not remove them, till the devs come up with a better idea? shortcutting in the blackwood chicane with a tbo isn't faster than staying on the track. it's slower and more dangerous. the original layout from the devs is definately better for a clean race. in your layout, the tyres are way too near at the track.

aahhh, i tried at again. i know, no discussion wanted .

auto gear ban?
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG