The online racing simulator
Germans and the ","
(36 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
Germans and the ","
[useless]
Well, you already did. It is because of the language. We use commas everywhere. Before "but", before "because", before every relative clause.

For me, commas have always been and still are (as you can see ) the hardest thing to do right in english.
Several European countries use "," instead of "." when it comes to numbers ($1,200 = $1.200) so why not
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : [useless]
hmm i never noticed that germans use them more the ppl from other countrys

i had perfect notes in german for the last 2 years, but my grammar and everything does suck by now
so u wont see them too often when reading my posts
#5 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :hmm i never noticed that germans use them more the ppl from other countrys

i had perfect notes in german for the last 2 years, but my grammar and everything does suck by now
so u wont see them too often when reading my posts

But there you did use comma again!

Comma is used lot in our language too, I think and I think that I use lot of comma too, it is fun, try it sometimes
I think it's a case of how well educated people are in their countries, with respect to English grammar.

Tragically the English are one of the worst culprits; generally being utter crap at Getting It Right(TM).
Quote from CSU1 :GOTCHA! you for got the "," in front of because in the second sentence of your post!

Hehe, I actually really try to use the commas only when they are needed lately.
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : [useless]
Its more like 100 than 10.
#9 - JTbo
Quote from CSU1 :Lmao, what do you, put 10 in a box and try not to touch them before the end of the day?

Between 1pm-2pm is worst part, almost impossible to avoid opening the box and use them, this shaking that comes then, really terrible, I can't take it, give me my commas
#10 - CSU1
crazey comma junkies!!!
Two threads about the English language at the same time, great.
I've been taught commas aren't that important in English as they are in Finnish. We have strict rules when you put a comma and when you don't. For example in Finnish you have to remember you always got to put a comma before "that", which you can never do in English where it's an serious error (the might be an exception of exception like there always is, but can't remember what it could be at the moment). "If you doubt, leave it out" is a saying my English teacher planted in my heads. When thinking punctuation from that basis of your own language, you very often get it wrong, which reminds me that I have the most important English exam of my life tomorrow...I wonder how I'll do
Quote from Blackout :Two threads about the English language at the same time, great.

Quote :Germans and the ","

Maybe I got carried away a bit, but it's still about English as it's comparison between English and other languages
While the EU has a remaining comma surfeit, member nations are receiving tax incentives to use up the comma mountain. Our German colleagues are leading the field in clearing this surfeit and thus reducing their EU tax bill in the process.
We should, I think, all learn, and prosper, from their example.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Several European countries use "," instead of "." when it comes to numbers ($1,200 = $1.200) so why not

WRONG

1,200 and 1.200 are two COMPLETLEY different numbers

1,200 is: One thousand, two hundred

1.200 is: One (point) 2

Decimal points and comas are completly different, in numbers.
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :WRONG

They sure are, 1.200 and and 1,200 have the opposite meaning here in Germany (1.200 being one thousand two hundred nad 1,200 being one (comma) two)

Quote from CSU1 : sorry, but why do a lot of Germans seem to use outrageously too many comma's?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Is it somethin to do with their language?

Maybe, a nice German, could clear this up for us

That maybe the same reason why lots of foreigners can't put the right article in front of a german word
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :WRONG

Here it's the other way around...

1,2 = 1.2
1.200 = 1,200
Silly Americans!
Truth to be told, how to use commas in the English language is totally beyond me, so generally I just throw some in for good measure. Thinking of that, I don't know anymore how to properly use them in German either. Never really cared about grammar in school - just spoke/wrote the language as I felt was correct.
CSU1's English is pretty poor anyway, so how he can make judgements on 'foreigners' use of commas is beyond me.

I'm sure lots of other languages have their own rules on punctuation, just as they do for different word combinations and phrases, but we are all writing in English on this forum, and therefore it makes sense that the English 'rules' are applied.

The vast majority of non-English speakers on this forum have an almost impeccible record for using the language in the correct way - it's people like CSU1, and a LOT of Americans that ruin English.

The comma controls the pace and (if you like) the beat of the sentence. Where you want a brief pause, either to split up a sentence, to make a list, or just to provide somewhere to breathe.

The following sentence could be considered correct but it would be a lot nicer with commas at least to some extent as I will prove in the following sentence.
The previous sentence could be considered correct, but it would be a lot nicer with commas, at least to some extent, as I have tried to prove in this sentence.

The effect is subtle, but shouldn't be ignored. Too many commas can split up a sentence, and fragment it beyond it's originally intended meaning. Too few commas make it hard to read and understand. The balance is when a sentence has it's proper meaning relatively obvious, but is also not too much work to read.

Long live the comma (and the apostrophie, and the semi-colon, but I'd wager CSU1, and the aforementioned Americans (and lots of British people too) don't have much of a clue about them either).
#20 - CSU1
, I do admit I hardly ever turned up for school and didnt go to college, I had my interests elsewhere like work@15 and women and drink and other stuff, so yeah I suck at just about everything
I had my interests elsewhere, like work at 16, women and drink (when I was younger - much more teetotal nowadays), but I was also mature enough to see the value of education and an ability to express myself in my native language (and pretty much the international language).

I wasn't 'good' at English at school, but that was mainly literature critisism. Basic stuff, like commas and semi-colons that you learn before you're 10 are, literally, child's play.

It's never too late to learn though - you will get further in life if you can write a coherent sentence that others can understand without ambiguity. To say you couldn't be bothered at school, and therefore will always 'suck' is just a cop out, and shows apathy.

College has very little to do with it - if you're learning about comma usage at college then something very wrong has occured in your early school days.
#22 - CSU1
Are my posts really that incoherant?
Quote from CSU1 :Are my posts really that incoherant?

Embarassing questions could have embarassing answers.
We keep a big file of your late night post-pub posts back here at central HQ, CSU. When life is getting us down we open them all up for a laugh. (and wish we could have joined you for a couple)
No, just kidding
#25 - CSU1
:yummy: that must be one crappy file....I demand to see it! right away!

Germans and the ","
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG