The online racing simulator
I want DOF (Depth of field)
(45 posts, started )
#26 - JTbo
Just get projector and enough big surface to throw pic in dimension of 1:1 so that 40cm diameter steering wheel is close to that on screen, you will get this effect where eye focuses to one part only. around 100" pic should start to be quite good.

Or you could work with CRT screens enough long so you get CVS, then you get same effect even on small screen
#27 - LJF
Not entirely sure how this could be implemented, in an FPS it's hard enough, maybe blur the interior perhaps, or have an option to blur the interior. It would work a lot better for those people with fancy TrackIR
I'm a strong believer in leaving camera effects to camera views. Lens Flare and DOF don't belong in first person views.
#29 - Woz
You realise that DOF is an an effect introduced by the limitation of camera optics based on focal length and apature settings.

You will not see the effect with your eyes because you always focus on what you are looking at so that will always be sharp (Unless your eyes are fooked ). Your peripheral vision is not sharp but this is different to DOF because your eye flicks between points of interest.

DOF has no place in a first person view in a game. As others have said how will the game know what you focus on.

Great for replays but pointless in game IMHO
I want DOF to see how it feels to drive without my glasses
As some others said, I wouldn't want it while driving, but I think some motion blur could be cool, though, because it's not limited to cameras, as your eyes see fast moving things blurred too.
Quote from Bokujishin :....because it's not limited to cameras, as your eyes see fast moving things blurred too.

Not if you look at them directly. Do you ever look to the side of the track at some marker to aid in knowing where to brake? Wouldn't be much helpful if it was all blurred from motion.
The only way depth of field and motion blur could be implemented properly on a normal screen (especially in a racing game) would be to have some device that can track which part of the screen you're looking at.

One situation in which I've found DOF works really well is when using a sniper rifle in a FPS, when it's obvious that they player is going to be concentrating on whatever's in the centre of the crosshair.
I think too many modern games are simply looking for a reason to use DOF/motion blur, rather than letting the game design itself justify its inclusion where and when appropriate. In the latest NFS game, the dash blurs out when you start going fast- which is nuts.
#34 - 5tag
I think that effect is only for entertainment purposes. Yesterday a friend of mine showed me some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 missions. Once there was a guy pointing a gun to the player. First the DOF effect focused on the end of the weapon, then back to the face of that man holding it.

Depth of field is good to draw your attention to a certain point so it seems more important. What is also done by it is that the player sees through the eyes of his avatar. The player has a less intensive feeling to play himself but instead to only control a protagonist within the game world.

LFS game play on the other hand should not be a matter of interpretation or art. It should not confuse the player but provide him with any realistic information at any time he wants.

Unless something is tracking our eyes in relation to the screen DOF would not be appropriate in LFS in my humble opinion.
Quote from 5tag :I think that effect is only for entertainment purposes. Yesterday a friend of mine showed me some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 missions. Once there was a guy pointing a gun to the player. First the DOF effect focused on the end of the weapon, then back to the face of that man holding it.

So if you looked at his face first then the end of his weapon (phnarr!) it would look rubbish.
#36 - 5tag
Quote from tristancliffe :So if you looked at his face first then the end of his weapon (phnarr!) it would look rubbish.

I thought it'd look rubbish too but no, it just was a bit weird like implying: "Oh, I'm probably not supposed to look here..."
The first two things I turn of in Racing games, and in Fps games:
Motion Burr, and Depth of Field. Bloom/Hdr usually stays.

Maybe DoF would be a good option/addition for replays, but in game its, useless.
I don't understand why people would want DOF or Motion Blur in a game. But then again I don't understand why people hang little plushies from bumper of their car. How those two relate is that they are both aesthetic and do not improve the object they are applied to.

Situational awareness was ruined when COD implemented DOF. I am never looking at where my cross-hair is pointed at, when I'm not aiming at a target. Once that was implemented the already limited situational awareness was impaired even further.

It is good when people decide things for them selves. However, in the case of reality, some people just need to be told to understand what is real and what is just delusion. Someone needs to get across that DOF or MB are not realistic effects that people see with their eyes.

I visual effects should be used for film. There is no place for DOF or motion blur through current gaming mediums.
Quote from legoflamb :Someone needs to get across that DOF or MB are not realistic effects that people see with their eyes.

Erm, yes they are... Close one eye and focus on something near to you, then far away. It's just something your brain usually edits out a fair bit so you don't notice it as much. It only doesn't work in games because the game doesn't know where on the screen you're looking. As for motion blur, look at the wheels in LFS and compare them with the nice blurred wheels in other racing games with more eye candy.

The problem is that they're usually used *badly* not that they're used at all.
You're right about unfocused areas and really high speed objects getting blurry.

As for DOF in games when looking at any sort of monitor, tv, or projection screen, the parts that are not in my focus are already blurry. Why would the effect need to be doubled? All it does is block vision. Even if it gets implemented with eye tracking it would be pointless, since anything not being focused on will already be blurry because those areas are not being looked at. The only effect DOF will accomplish is limit peripheral vision. Effectively limiting visual situational awareness.

As for MB in games, at 120 mph and slower, things are not "motion blurred" in my peripheral vision. I cannot say about 121+mph as I have not driven that fast. In racing games MB should definitely not kick in until at least then. I don't know at what speed peripheral vision gets blurry.
Just another gimmick, part of the Hollywood-ization of gaming.

DO NOT WANT.
quite impossible do to this kind of effect right... the only thing that could work would be only same slight motion blur on the side edges off the screen, but only outside the car (not the NFS way for sure) but that would also fail as soon as you decide to look right or left to chceck on the car next to you

just like someone wrote before, some nice weather effects will add so much more to the graphics than any kind of DOF or blur...
It also helps developers be lazy. They don't have to work too hard on detailed backgrounds when it's just blurred out all the time.
then again a good blurry background is a hard thing to achieve
in the comic world i can think of only one guy who managed to make blurry backgrounds look interesting
Maybe i'm old school but having things blur in computer games ruins the experience (unless you are using a weapon scope in a shooter) and gives me a bad headache.

It would be cool for making videos though.

I want DOF (Depth of field)
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG