The online racing simulator
Unlimited unlocks
(37 posts, started )
#1 - kirmy
Unlimited unlocks
how many times have you downloaded the new patch only to find out you have no unlocks left, can someone please tell me the point of them
never happened to me - and im one of those guys that has about a hundred lfs copies on his pc
with new patches you mostly get a new unlock,

never happend to me though.
#4 - joen
Quote from kirmy :how many times have you downloaded the new patch only to find out you have no unlocks left,

never.

Quote :
can someone please tell me the point of them

To prevent you to use LFS on an unlimited number of PC's.

See previous discussions about this, they're needed. I don't see any problem with the unlock system. Unless one screws up his PC more than twice a month, in which case one shouldn't be allowed near any PC.
#5 - kirmy
Quote from Shotglass :never happened to me - and im one of those guys that has about a hundred lfs copies on his pc

you know when you unlock one copy of lfs, does the others stay unlocked?
kirmy - silly question, it's an essential part of the copy protection system and also protects against account sharing.
I also have never run out of unlocks in over 3 years, despite mutliple system upgrades.

To your second question, yes it does. In theory you could, slowly, unlock as many copies as you wanted, but any more than 2 is in breach of the license agreement.

BlakjeKaas - unlocks are only added with patches if there has been a change to the unlocking system which might cause existing unlocked copies, to lock upon upgrading.
#7 - kirmy
i agree it is an essential part of the lfs licensing system but could the devs please make more unlocks available more readily :S
#8 - joen
Quote from kirmy :i agree it is an essential part of the lfs licensing system but could the devs please make more unlocks available more readily :S

Why? What do you do that makes 2 unlocks not enough? If in any case you need an extra unlock you can email the devs.

Quote :
3.1 You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

So a maximum of 2 unlocks makes perfect sense.
#9 - kirmy
Quote from joen :Why? What do you do that makes 2 unlocks not enough? If in any case you need an extra unlock you can email the devs.

i use tweak and bespoke on one lfs and keep another clean, but i downloaded the test patch and i had no unlocks left
Quote from kirmy :i agree it is an essential part of the lfs licensing system but could the devs please make more unlocks available more readily :S

I can't see a reason why. You only need one to unlock the game and even if you screw up for some reason, you still have another go. Also when patches make people unlock, the devs give you a extra unlock automatically if you didn't for some reason have one available.
Besides it isn't really such a big hassle to mail the devs for extra unlocks if you happen to screw up twice in a row.
#11 - Jakg
i personally want the unlock limit removed, BUT have the devs notified if you unlock more than 5 times, then they can track what IP's you do it on.
Quote from Jakg :i personally want the unlock limit removed, BUT have the devs notified if you unlock more than 5 times, then they can track what IP's you do it on.

if they know what ip you have then there is no problem unlocking it again and again.
you know if you have two copies of lfs on your pc, and you unlock one does the other stay unlocked?
Quote from Bob Smith :
BlakjeKaas - unlocks are only added with patches if there has been a change to the unlocking system which might cause existing unlocked copies, to lock upon upgrading.

True, so you get extra unlocks sometimes... =P

Still, I don't need extra unlocks so I don't know much about it.

Well, if others really need extra unlocks, I think it's ok, I only don't know why.. =P
I don't like this idea very much. because we are already having a hard enough time with crackers. If we allow unlimited unlocks only 1 person has to buy LFS and a million people will be able to use all the content. That 1 peron will put the numbers online. Maybe increase the number of max unlock a month to 5?
3+ years of heavy LFS usage, countless hardware changes and numerous total hard drive formats and still haven't managed to run out of unlocks. Am I doin' it rite?
Quote from spankmeyer :3+ years of heavy LFS usage, countless hardware changes and numerous total hard drive formats and still haven't managed to run out of unlocks. Am I doin' it rite?

Same.

If you run out of unlocks you've been doing something wrong.
Quote from kirmy :how many times have you downloaded the new patch only to find out you have no unlocks left, can someone please tell me the point of them

Two years running. Once, patch U3x when the licensing system changed, which would also have been later in patch V if I had not done the U test patches.

As for running out? I've run out once. It was a reformat and unlock, then decided to try XP on my machine which worked, but framerate was terrible. That's my 2 unlocks used. Then the computer completely fried during all my reformatting/XP testing and I ended up just buying a whole new PC. Needed an extra unlock for that.

I too have multiple versions of LFS, I have every version from the last S1 0.3h (S1 still locked though) to patch V, minus some of the test patches that were coming out in multiples per day (U test patches). I have a lot of replays and don't want to loose being able to view them. My hopes were to create some movies, but just don't have the time for that.
I managed it once while trying to unlock LFS on my brand new laptop while having connection issues. Seems like the unlock-request had been sent, but somehow I couldn't recieve it. Didn't matter though, because Victor was kind enough to send me a new unlock
Never required to ask for extra unlocks.

People just need to engage the brain before doing things. I have two copies of LFS on my system and LFS unlocked on another computer for LAN play.

Remove the limit and people will have no problem with sharing their license. IPs are a waste of time to track people, all they have to claim is they are using a dynamic IP.

Keiran
I have a random problem with my unlocks. when I put my PC to sleep, and come back later S2 will be unlocked, but sometimes it won't be, this happened to me 3 times today, thus I am out of unlocks for the month. (sad face)=me
Oh yeh, that makes me think;

Can you Victor or Scawen send me 1 unlock please? Cuz I ran out of unlocks with my router problem , and I would like to havea spare one in case I get new problems this month
Go to the LFS site, and email the devs asking for one... 8-)
#24 - Dru
yup - ask there - i emailed them and got 2 additional unlocks thorugh almost immediately...

My story..

I built the new computer hooked up to internet and used an unlock

so down to one, not a problem... then i transferred over all old data files.... however, somewhere in all of it it went back to 'demo racer' so i thought, ok no worries use my last unlock for the month

Next morning new PC doesn't want to play ball, has multiple corruptions and needs a total wipe out and reformat.

Reinstall the LFS, realise i'm outta unlocks for the month.

it's a sat morning, great have to wait until monday

WRONG

i email the devs i tell them in a short email whats happened and they sent through 2 new unlocks within the hour...... WITHIN the hour on a WEEKEND how cool is that.

From this experience alone i have to say there is nothing wrong with the current system
dr. pepper - that's a known problem, I thought the latest patches were supposed to cure it though. Make sure you're running the latest patch, and if all else fails, just turn your PC off properly.

Unlimited unlocks
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG