The online racing simulator
Just ordered this, is it good?
(18 posts, started )
GeCube ATI Radeon X1950 Pro FZ SuperCooled TURBO SILENT TEC/Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Just hope you don't have any problems with it. I had a faulty GeCube 9600 Pro a few years back and had a nightmare of a time trying to get support out of them. I wouldn't buy anything else from them.
It's from overclockers so if it don't work, I'll be sending it straight back with an angry e-mail
#4 - Jakg
its good, although how much did you spend? i woulda held out for an 8600
£0.00! The missus however spent £160 ish
The chip is quite good/fast (never heard about the card manufacturer). It should be good in performance/price ratio.

I was thinking the same thing from Sapphire for AGP (as a replacement for Radeon 9700). However I started to suspect it is unnecessarily powerful for 2.8GHz HT P4 (comments to this are welcome)

About GF8600. Does anybody have idea how much they are going to cost? As long as Ati (or AMD) has no chip for the same generation (to match GF 8xxxx cards) NVidia has relatively free hands to price them.
#7 - Jakg
8600 come out when the R600 comes out from ATi, then there will be 3 series of cards from nVidia and ATi, all fighting!

Estimation is 200-220$
The current 8800 GTS 320MB (not the 640MB) goes for $300 USD. A quick look on Froogle shows they're going for about 200 GBP in England. The 8600 will be at least $50, maybe as much as $100 USD cheaper than the 8800GTS 320MB, so figure somewhere around 140-170 GBP for the 8600.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
Oh... if Ati indeed gets it out so soon (somehow I understood it takes longer) then it indeed is a good idea to wait now. But anyway it hasn't been good for a consumer that only NVidia has had DX10 chip available. So really interesting to see when the first performance comparisons and prices are available.
#10 - Jakg
ATi didnt take longer, nVidia rushed, the performance of the 8800's are better, but the R600 WILL be faster, and there will probably be an 8900 after the R600 comes out
Quote from Jakg :ATi didnt take longer, nVidia rushed, the performance of the 8800's are better, but the R600 WILL be faster, and there will probably be an 8900 after the R600 comes out

Interesting you say that. I too believe that there will be a 8900 series. Some people on tech forums are just plain dumb though, I've seen more "when's the 8900 coming out" or "why isn't the 8900 here yet?!?!" or "you fools! the 8900s will be here any minute!" and "omg, Nvidia is screwing all of us, give us the 8900!!" over the past weeks its made me sick.

IIRC, the 7 series was the first time nvidia did a renumbered refresh like that(7800 to 7900), to change die sizes (the major change right?). Nvidia might refresh the 8800 line at some point to compete/beat the r600, but I doubt it happens any time in the near future, (think like 5+ months away). Just my guess, certainly No offence, just interested if you had the same take on it.
#12 - Davo
It has FZ, super cooled and turbo in the name, it's great
Interesting point, Davo. I fail to see how it's both "supercooled" AND silent.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from srdsprinter :Interesting you say that. I too believe that there will be a 8900 series. Some people on tech forums are just plain dumb though, I've seen more "when's the 8900 coming out" or "why isn't the 8900 here yet?!?!" or "you fools! the 8900s will be here any minute!" and "omg, Nvidia is screwing all of us, give us the 8900!!" over the past weeks its made me sick.

IIRC, the 7 series was the first time nvidia did a renumbered refresh like that(7800 to 7900), to change die sizes (the major change right?). Nvidia might refresh the 8800 line at some point to compete/beat the r600, but I doubt it happens any time in the near future, (think like 5+ months away). Just my guess, certainly No offence, just interested if you had the same take on it.

well for the last couple of months nVidia have had free reign, with few people buying DX9 cards, so ATi NEED to make a killer card, and thats what the top-of-the-range R600 will do, although im more interested in the mid-range R600 and the 8600 will be like

i dont know when the 8900 comes out, but it doesnt really matter to be honest!
This is the Vista rating for the compy that's getting the aforementioned gpu:

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 4.9 3.4 Determined by lowest subscore Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.5 Graphics RADEON X300/X550 Series 3.6 Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory 3.4 Primary hard disk 91GB Free (233GB Total) 5.5 Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
System Manufacturer RS480_ Model AWRDACPI Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM System type 32-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 64-bit capable Yes Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB Disk partition (C 91 GB Free (233 GB Total) Disk partition (D 223 GB Free (233 GB Total) Media drive (E CD/DVD Media drive (F CD/DVDCD/DVD Graphics Display adapter type RADEON X300/X550 Series Total available graphics memory 1023 MB Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 767 MB Display adapter driver version 8.342.0.0 Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024 DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better Network Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
You should have a mighty fine rig when you replace that RADEON X300/X550 .
It's actually the missus's! My 1.6ghz p4 with 40 gig hdd and 64mb shared graphics card and 256 sdram doesn't like lfs

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG