The online racing simulator
Weird internet issue
(10 posts, started )
Weird internet issue
This weird issue started a few weeks ago. Otherwise the Internet works fine but any suggestions as to what is causing it? ISP issue or elsewhere? Anyway it's like this to any site or IP, from any PC on our internal network, using any tracert type tool:
Attached images
issue.png
meaning from inside your network, pinging ANY site outside brings up this, or just these 3 examples?
#3 - JTbo
Quote from Bob Smith :This weird issue started a few weeks ago. Otherwise the Internet works fine but any suggestions as to what is causing it? ISP issue or elsewhere? Anyway it's like this to any site or IP, from any PC on our internal network, using any tracert type tool:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Just perhaps, spyware, malware etc. ?
#4 - P1lot
Using a router that blocks ping requests either way?
nah, wouldn't get the last entries
It could be a firewall designed to only allow an incoming ICMP connection from the intended recipient (i.e. if the TTL expires, the firewall stops the router from telling your client that the TTL was reached as the router was not the intended destination - I've never heard of anyone actually doing that in practise, but its possible), or it could genuinely be that those routers long that route no longer respond to a ping.

Try something like paratrace instead, which does a traceroute passively and see if it can get a map of the routers instead. Instead of actively using ICMP, paratrace uses any TCP request and increments the TTLs in a similar way. In doing so you should get the IPs of the routers, and then you can try traceroute'ing one or more of them, or even just straight pinging them. If a straight ping to them doesn't work, they're probably dropping ICMP packets (such as a ping). If it does work, and a traceroute to their IP gives similar results, its possible its an edge firewall at work.
TAA - That looks cool, although the website only seems to offer a source download and there's no mention of binaries nor windows support. So how are the masses supposed to use it? Never understood why some people never offer binaries for download, I mean they had to build it to test it?

Not gonna have time to get some Linux ditro (or dig out my copy of SuSE 9 which has no hope of having drivers for my PC on the disc) and a C compiler running atm.
#7 - JTbo
Vmware software that was posted to some thread earlier is handy for such things
Quote from Bob Smith :TAA - That looks cool, although the website only seems to offer a source download and there's no mention of binaries nor windows support. So how are the masses supposed to use it? Never understood why some people never offer binaries for download, I mean they had to build it to test it?

You'll find that its packaged in most decent distros (*ahem* debian testing) I believe there's a Windows package somewhere, but its mega developer orientated if I remember correctly (i.e. unstable, build from CVS style)

Unfortunately its one of the many decent network diag tools thats only really been developed and ported to run on unix-like OS'

If your curiousity is piqued that much, it's probably worth looking into. If it's not then I honestly wouldn't bother, especially if the things actually work.
Well we've reported this problem to our ISP, including the screenshot from the first post (the tech support guy had no idea what we were on about), will wait and see what they say.

Weird internet issue
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG