The online racing simulator
Pit wall in Blackwood made me deaf :(
(43 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
That's done it; last night I crashed into the pit wall in Blackwood in the Fox, I had my earphones on and maybe a little to loud BANG!!! > then my left ear pops I still can't hear nothin
Go see a doctor?
#3 - CSU1
#4 - JTbo
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it is just temporarily problem that will heal by time

Btw, I think title is wrong, it should say using too loud volume...
Heh, I popped an ear drum scuba diving, about 2 months after my hearing was back to normal, but even now if something is loud my right ear breaks and I can only hear through the left.
#7 - d6nn
replay?
Quote from CSU1 :That's done it; last night I crashed into the pit wall in Blackwood in the Fox, I had my earphones on and maybe a little to loud BANG!!! > then my left ear pops I still can't hear nothin

Does it ring? Is it almost unbearably painful? If no to those two questions, the damage to your ear is temporary at worst.
Talk about a good sim, even simulates crash side effects!
That's real force feedback!
#11 - CSU1
Quote from jayhawk :Does it ring? Is it almost unbearably painful? If no to those two questions, the damage to your ear is temporary at worst.

Na, it deos'nt hurt at all, it just popped like they do in flight and feels like it just needs to un pop, if you know what I mean....Oh god I have started to un-controllabley turn to the left when I walk I think it's bad
It sounds like you have a so called "acoustic trauma (AT)"
especially when you have things like you wrote
Quote :un-controllabley turn to the left when I walk

and this can have serious consequences

You should visit the doctor ASAP (what means immediately!!) because the longer you wait to get medication the bigger is the chance that you have to live with it forever.

I'm not joking.
#13 - d6nn
Quote from CSU1 :Na, it deos'nt hurt at all, it just popped like they do in flight and feels like it just needs to un pop, if you know what I mean....Oh god I have started to un-controllabley turn to the left when I walk I think it's bad

doesn't swallowing help?
Quote from BBO@BSR :It sounds like you have a so called "acoustic trauma (AT)"

You should visit the doctor ASAP (what means immediately!!) because the longer you wait to get medication the bigger is the chance that you have to live with it forever.

I'm not joking.

100% agreement
#15 - JTbo
Quote from BBO@BSR :It sounds like you have a so called "acoustic trauma (AT)"

I'm not joking.

+1

Specially when young, we usually don't care small things that we then carry trough rest of our lives. Take care of yourself and remember that if you just follow good feeling, you will get hurt (too loud volume for example).
I might sound rude in the following statement, but I am being serious.

GO TO A DOCTOR!!
Go to a doctor!

And please let us know what he said.

(i hope he's not reading these because he already went to doc.)
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D
I have to agree about the doctor, when these things happen, this is the absolute first things you must do.

I am talking out of experience, because I have been suffering from tinnitus for 3 years now. I've got a very loud ringing in both ears, 75dB at 4000Hz, also I have lost part of my hearing.

So there is a high pitched whistle that is ALWAYS there and never masked by any sound other then noise levels that are harmful for the ears. in short, there's nothing I can do to get away from the noises in my ears.
So you can imagine it is HELL. After 3 years I am starting to come to grips with it, but it still made me lose my job, my girl and all the things I had planned for the future went down the drain. Psychologically, I am still not back to my old self, and probably never will be again either.

In my case it was the 15 years of playing in a hardrock band without adequate protection, but also the years and years of playing games and sims on the computer with those big headphones on that completely cover up your ears and of course at volume levels that where too high to be safe, that caused it.. Acoustic trauma, as mentioned before. Although you can get tinnitus from a lot of other things aswell.

I must take this chance to say, please please please, be carefull with the loud noises on the headphones, you really don't want to get what I have.
Keep the volumes at safe levels. It does not necessarily take 15 years of rockmusic to get this, ONE single noise trauma can cause it..

I know the OP did not speak of ringing, and it doesn't sound like the typical symptoms, but it's relevant enough for me to go and warn you about possible consequenses.

So please people. Be careful, I would hate for anyone else to go through what I did.
#19 - SamH
Quote from CSU1 :Na, it deos'nt hurt at all, it just popped like they do in flight and feels like it just needs to un pop, if you know what I mean....Oh god I have started to un-controllabley turn to the left when I walk I think it's bad

That sounds like a middle-ear infection to me. In fact the whole thing does. Still, I hope the reason you've not posted in here since last night is because you're patiently sitting at the ER getting it checked out. That would be one hell of a regret to have for the rest of your life, if that's where you needed to be right now and you weren't there.

@ DFS_MadFred.. that's a bad deal, bud. Really sorry to hear about that I hope it can be fixed! I very often get tinnitus late at night, after a busy day dealing with lots of people - and especially if I've been wearing headphones. It's always gone in the morning, though. I can't imagine what you're going through!
Quote from SamH :That sounds like a middle-ear infection to me. In fact the whole thing does.

hm yeah could be ... but even if its just that i wouldnt let it sit over the weekend and wait for it to get worse ... plus it could be a lot worse
Quote from Shotglass :hm yeah could be ... but even if its just that i wouldnt let it sit over the weekend and wait for it to get worse ... plus it could be a lot worse

Ultimately, if you have medical issues, dont go posting on a forum. I have had more then four middle-ear infections, two of which resulted in my eardrum popping, and my ears bleeding.
Quote from SamH :
@ DFS_MadFred.. that's a bad deal, bud. Really sorry to hear about that I hope it can be fixed! I very often get tinnitus late at night, after a busy day dealing with lots of people - and especially if I've been wearing headphones. It's always gone in the morning, though. I can't imagine what you're going through!

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Unfortunatly there is no cure for it I'm afraid. Not when it's due to irreversable damage anyways, which is the case. Only a few types can be cured, or at least somewhat succesfully treated.
Of course, ultimately you'll find a way of life that will make it liveable.
And that could be called a cure of a kind, I reckon. I'm not there yet, but I will get there one day.

Used to have it late at night too after busy days. Stress is a very big trigger for tinnitus. Of course I also had them after band gigs. Had them for years like that and one night I woke up and knew it was different. Has been on "air raid alarm" levels since then. Be careful with those headphones, the one due to stress is somewhat more "innocent". The noise induced one can make it permanent though. It's a big warning signal your brain is sending you.

Fred
cant it be somewhat "cured" by interference ? i think if heard about that kind of treatment somewhere
I'm not sure what you mean by interference, possibly you mean "white noise" ?

Like the static interference you get on your transistor radio when you put it between two channels?

It's not a form of cure as such, more a masking effect.
They use sound therapy, playing white noise and then it's
combinend with cognitive training and lots of group and individual therapy and you can somewhat get the sound to be less intrusive and intense.
So that, over time, your brain will stop seeing it as an alarm signal.

It's called Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, and it takes about 18 months I think, I haven't had it yet, I am thinking about it though.

You'll never be physically cured, but if you can listen to it and not care, thus having it as "a normal part of yourself" ,then you could indeed call it a form of cure.
no ive heard of a form of treatment that basically nulls the tinnitus tone by destructive interference

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG