The online racing simulator
LFS and rFactor, why are we so blessed? (long)
No, this is not another flame war, no I don't want to start the same old tired discussion again. Let me make this clear from the start: I own both rFactor and LFS, licensed copies, and I think they are both stunning. And I wouldn't want to be without either of them. Each one does a lot of things right. Actually I believe that if we take the best of the two and iron out the very few things both are not so good at we will have the perfect racing sim with no need to look anywhere else again. Why are we so blessed?

So this thread is what I "like" about both of these games and why I get frustrated about little details with both of them (never enough not to think how extremely good they both are). I hope the resulting conversation can slo help the devs of both games make them better. I will post this on both LFS and rFactor boards.

1) the phyisics model and realism, the most important aspect of any racing sim.

This is where opinions differ the most and where most discussions start, where fans of either game knock each other. My opinion: Both are incredibly good, both have some obvious shortcomings. But let me make this very clear: None are so incorrect that even a hardcore supporter of either camp could resonably say the other is so much worse.

Lets start with rFactor which seems to get most of the bashing from LFS fans here: Yes, there are some serious "snap oversteer" and "driftability" questions here. I will get into a little more detail below.

However there are a number of mods which have been created with the datasheets of real world racing teams, have been test driven by the pilots themselves. These pilots affirm that the experience is as close and as "real" as it gets if racing in front of your PC. They affirm that they have learnt things in the sim which they could take to the track and implement in real life in terms of handling on a particular track and car setup. Now this is an amazing testament for "mods" created by dedicated race fans. Incredible stuff! And it also means that the physics engine and realism can't be that far off! On the contrary, spot on in many cases.

I think much of the criticism come from the lack of driftability of touring cars in rFactor. I agree, it's driven me nut's too, as I tried to create setups for my cars which allow for "naturally controllable drifts" and I have found it extremely difficult. It is possible, but not as "natural" as it should be. LFS does an immense job here and drifting around with the RWD cars is awesome fun!

Which does not mean it's necessarily more realistic, at least not for all cars! If you look at many highly tuned modern day race cars, especially F1 and high end touring car racers, you will notice that they are not driven with any visible oversteer. Bar very few instances (I remember David Coulthard (of all people, lol) coming out of the last chicane at Monza sideways and catching the drift) modern race cars have "snap oversteer". They are sucked to the ground by aerodynamics to such an extent that it creates the same effect like these rubbery suction heads: Either they are sucked firmly to the surface (in this case the road) or once they lose adherence, they're gone. And there's no way to recover your rear end once it's stepped out. Now I've heard many racing drivers make this analogy. And this to the best of my knowledge is correctly simulated in rFactor.

However, and I fully agree with the LFS crowd here, there is a major problem with snap oversteer in cars which should not have it. And LFS simulates this brilliantly. Take a BMW M3 for example, rear wheel drive, fairly soft setup compared to a throroughbread race car, yet a drift is really difficult to catch. Comparable cars in LFS are a joy to throw around and their behaviour is simulated more accurately.

Having said that, I am catching drifts with high powered race cars in LFS which I would have no hope in catching in a real car, so maybe LFS is even too forgiving here. Fun, yes, completely realistic, maybe not. Many say it is to do with the "grip curve" of the tyre model. It is too steep in rFactor so that the line between recovery and losing the rear is too fine. Which to me makes sense, and would then also mean that it's tweakable in both sims.

On the other hand I find that in some cases the handling in rFactor is more direct, more aggressive and faster. I find it sometimes gives me more immersion in the game as I get a lot more stressed and have to make a lot more corrections at the wheel while LFS often feels somewhat slower and limousine-like. I often feel faster in rFactor and more on the edge of the limits... whether it's then more realistic or not I hoestly cannot say.

But then we sit in front of our PCs with plastic steering wheels which (in most cases) have at most a 240º rotation, this surely must affect the handling of the cars in such a way that we really cannot tell how accurate or not the simulation in any particular case is. We'll have to trust real life race pilots, and they detect and incredible amount of accuracy in both sims but also some flaws, in both!

Conclusion: Both amazing, both as accurate as it gets, LFS somewhat less frustrating in some instances and more fun while rFactor sometimes thrills me more and gives me sweatier palms (in some cases also of fruntration).

2) Netplay: Both sims have amazing netcode. I have often read that LFS has the best netcode in the industry. Frankly, I haven't experienced this. I think what is meant is that LFS can be played fine with a 56k modem, while probably no other sim can. And this really is amazing!

I do have to say however, on my ADSL line rFactor plays more cleanly. The first time I connected I couldn't believe it: There was no difference whatsoever between offline and online. No jitter, no cars jumping about, no back and forth, nothing. As if they were bots. I was amazed, I'd never seen anything like it. And I still believe it's the smoothest netplay I've ever experienced in any game. I'm not sure how they do it, but ping does not seem to matter. I have a guy in front of me with ping 180 and I sit right on his bumper and nothing happens, we both run along smoothly ... for laps ... simply incredible! In LFS I've had my share of lag crashes.

In LFS you may be able to play with a modem, but I get quite a few jitters, lag collisions, cars jumping about or cars disappearing.

Now having said that, I play a LOT more LFS online racing than rFactor (because of issues I will address later in this post) but frankly, on a broadband connection I've never had a better experience.

3) Multiplayer: I play most of my online racing with LFS. Why? It's simply so much fun, competitve, varied and there's a good game on most times a day. So what is it in rFactor that keeps my away if in general I enjoy the game so much?

I'm not sure what rFactor hosts are thinking when they specify 1 hour practice session!! And what people are thinking who never vote to advance to the next session. Bottom line: In rFactor you actually never get to race other people! All you ever do is sit in practice session lapping on your own and wait for the time to pass. If you're lucky in 1 hour you get to have two races. And then at the first corner some bum takes you out, you go through another half hour practise session until the next race where you get taken out again. How stupid is that?? I really don't understand it.

In LFS you connect and all you ever do is race! In an hour I do between 5 - 10 races depending on circuit and number of laps. And when the race ends people vote for the next to start. And if they don't it will start again automatically in no time (in most cases)

Now I'm not even against practice and qualifying, on the cotrary, I enjoy it. But please: 1 hour practice, another 30 mins quali, for a five lap race? That's just silly. And it is the main reason why I do not play rFactor online anymore at all. And I do 90% of my racing online, which is now LFS. I want to race, not sit around and look at my pitboard. (and believe me, this is not a rant after a bad night I had, I have played rFactor online extensively for weeks, and it was always the same, on many many servers)

4) Connecting to a race: There has to be a way to implement what's best from both games here, come on. In rFactor I can't connect to a server when a race is on. So from the few populated servers, half get eliminated because the race is on. Silly! Let me at least connect, go to the pits, set up my car and I'll be ready when the next race (erh, practise session) starts! But don't shut people out.

In LFS it's the other extreme: People connect straight into races. So while you're on the lead lap, some monkey who just joined rolls out of the pits and straight into your racing line. Or is on cold tyres and doesn't move over. That's also silly! There has to be a compromise here.

In rFactor I feel much more immersed in the race weekend. I see my car in the pits and when I'm done I drive out of the pits. I always feel either on the track or in the pits. In LFS there first few times I had no idea where I was. So my car is in the pits but I can't actually do anything here. Ah, I have to hit escape first. But then I'm taken completely out of the context. When I connect I can "join" or go to the "garage". No, I should join and land right in the garage, and then when I'm ready drive out of the garage. And when I joined a race I didn't even know I was in the race.

Where do I see whtehr I'm in practice, which track I'm at, how many laps the race will be? I have no info screen in my pits! Or at least I haven't been able to find it

5) Pitboard/Damage/Repair

In LFS I never know what state my car is in. What's broken and should I repair it during the pitstop? In rFactor I can consult this at any time during the race and take these decisions. Actually the whole flipping through the LCD screen with all info on race, standings and state of your car I really enjoy in rFactor and miss in LFS.

6) How come in LFS my car flies 30 feet into the air and spins 45 times before landing as a complete wreck when I hit some barriers at a given angle at 30 mph? There must be something wrong there, no need to be a real life pilot to know that

7) Force Feedback:

Many people knock rFactor FF for being simply bad and inaccurate. Homestly I can't really argue with that. I find both rFactor and LFS perfectly driveable. What I do notice is thast LFS seems much smoother. For example when I cross tramlines on some tracks I it, and in rFactor my wheel would rattle and shake. Same with some rumble strips. And maybe LFS gives more accurate information about what your ar really does, even if in this smoother maner. I find I can drive fine with both and I know there are people with more detailed knowledge about this. So I'll stop here with my non expert opinions on this topic

8) Load times

Biiig plus for LFS: This is also what I also enjoyed so much about Quake 3. You are in there almost immediately. This saved me literally hours when for example configuring my steering wheel. I spent hours on this alone with rFactor while I breezed through it in LFS.

When I get the itch to race I'm connected and in the pits before I had time to lock my wheel to the desk. I love that!

9) Menus/Guis

Big minus for both: Frankly I found both confusing at the start but as time goes by I guess you get used to their oddities. But I can imagine beginners being thrown out by both, lol

10) Content/Modability

I think ISI have done a very smart thing here. No real racer can tell me that it's not absolutely thrilling to take the 1979 F1 Ferrari of Gilles Villeneuve and throw it around the legenday Nordschleife. It makes every race fans heart beat higher, no matter how much of a FFS fanboy you are. Now look at all the cars and tracks available for rFactor, or look at just the ones which are absolutely stunning. More than I will ever have the free time to try! And simply mind blowing.

Opening their source code to the mod community has added neverending quality content to this sim.

I do not undertsand why the LFS devs do not want to grant this to their audience. It takes nothing away from how brilliant LFS is, but it does mean that I cannot do without rFactor, that's for sure. I do not want to miss out on this...

11) AI/Offline racing

I'm not too bothered about this, I do most of my racing online and this review is about the multiplayer games. However a quick mention: I have had some enjoyable races with some of the rFactor cars on some tracks, not too shabby at all. Abismal on other tracks with different cars,so it's a bit hit and miss. Choose your mod and difficulty level right and you can have some fun.

LFS is a multiplayer game. Fullstop. The AI is not worthy to be called that. However no-one cares as no-one is into LFS to play offline...

Conclusion:

Right, this has been long, I'll keep this short. I love both. I would cry tears of joy if I had an rFactor with the playability, online gaming drift physics of LFS. I would be similarly emotional about a LFS with as much top quality content in terms of tracks and cars as rFactor.

For now, I'll take the best of both worlds in the hope that some day both combine.

aceracer
'LFS is a multiplayer game. Fullstop. The AI is not worthy to be called that. However no-one cares as no-one is into LFS to play offline...'

personally i play alot of offline racing... also people that lose internet connection may be looking to race, but can only race offline
Those first few sentences are used a lot, and mostly end up being wrong. This always ends up in a discussion I don't even read this because I probably already know what's in it. Both games seem great (I only have LFS), and there is really no point in discussing these two. They're rivals, both with there pros and cons, both have their community. This kind of thread has come up more than once, and I always wonder why anyone would write such a long text, probably knowing it won't make a difference and a big chance it'll get locked because it did end up in a flame war.

But I don't wanna break down your hard work in writing this, so I guess it's a good read for some people
Quote from aceracer :No, this is not another flame war, no I don't want to start the same old tired discussion again.

Then why did you do exactly that? If there is any purpose of this thread, then it is discussion about "LFS vs rFactor". If you just wanted to share your experience, maybe a blog entry or something like that would've been a better idea, not a thread on a discussion forum.
Quote :I will post this on both LFS and rFactor boards.

This might not be such a good idea.
#5 - JTbo
I like them both, if I would have to give up one I could not decide, just too good they are, just bit different way
I dont think were blessed at all. Compared to other PC Genres its a shame how little the Race Sim Genre has moved forward in the last years or the last century for that matter, GPL is still considered by most as among the best Race Sims today, it is nearly 10 years old.

What good stuff has come out since then? NASCAR Racing 2003, and LFS are only worth mentioning.
The other Sim netkarPro isnt really a finished Program and all those fancy cars and tracks are worth nothing when they are based on the ISI Physic Engine.

Compared to Shooter Games, or Flight Simulations the progress of Racing Simulations in the last couple of years is a disgrace. The lack of Products in the Sim Genre is because there are just too few people interested in Simulation Racing. A Arcade Racer Game sells more than any Sim.

And because the opening Thread mentioned how real drivers comment on Sims, forget about it, the opinion about a Sim from most real life Racers are not worth much, because they dont know anything about a Sim, they dont know what can be Simulated, what has been Simulated, most of them dont know anything about it. Its like if I would jump into the Ferraris new 2007 F1 car, make a few laps and then tell them if it is any good or not. I just couldnt compare it to last years car.

I have met Alexander Wurz some years ago and asked him what he believed was the most realistic F1 Simulation, he said "the best Simulation is F1 World Grand Prix", F1 World Grand Prix is a frigging Nintendo 64 Game ! But because he had nothing to compare it to he seriously thought a Nintendo 64 Game was the best Simulation available. So dont take it to seriously if any real driver states his opinion about a Sim, most of them have simply no idea what Sims are on the Market.

But there are some real Racers who do Sim Racing, like Montoya and Villeneuve who have said several times that they do Simulation Racing, they both like GPL, Dale Earnhardt Junior is a NASCAR Racing 2003 driver, he does even Race Online regularly, he has his own NR03 Homepage with Setups and such. So there are some real life Racers who have a clue about Sims, but most of them just dont know about whats there. Here is a nice Video about real Racer doing Sim Racing by the way.
Attached images
me meeting Wurz.jpg
Aceracer,

I've enjoyed your post, thanks for that. I disagree with everybody else who found it was a bad idea to post it. If people cannot read and either:

1) ignore you post altogether
2) comment with further opinions

then, I don't know why I waste my time checking this forum out... Every day is the same.... people critisizing others for the posts... how boring!... tha'ts why I'll never find myself as part of this community...

...anyway... sry for this... back to my silence now....
#8 - richo
Its all objective , i hear what your saying about the state of Sim racing compared to FPS and your dead right yet not one of the bleeding edge games
has anywere near the number of active players that Counter Strike does,the BF1942/2/2142 are close i guess but i would bet more guys play CS1.6 than all of them combined (no real factual statistics invovled).

And CS1.6 is not a pretty game so it must come back to gameplay, it always does in the end.Game play wise LFS is right up there, imho its the pick of the bunch in all the factors that count,easy to install even easier to play online and the racing online is awesome from the point of view you can play with some pretty nasty pings and not upset everyone around you.

Ive got both games and i really like some things from rfactor,yet the online experience of LFS on the most parts is out of this world compared to anything else available atm , so yes we are blessed
Thanks Mauro (por el apollo and thanks George for your comments, this is the sort of feedback I'm looking for. I don't mind my arguments being slammed, but slammed by knowledgeable counter arguments.

Anyone who is bored by my post,feel free not to read

This is an account of my experiences with both games. I've written up stuff I've not seen in other posts as well as stuff other people have said. I'm just looking for what other people's experienmces are with the issues raised.

Whether some find my post relevant or not I don't care about. I care about what those who do find it relevant have to say

So thanks for any more comments on my thoughts

aceracer
Quote from MauroDiaz :I don't know why I waste my time checking this forum out... Every day is the same.... people critisizing others for the posts...

Forums are for discussion, they tend to attract people with opposing views. If you don't like hearing people disagree then a forum is probably not the sort of place you should hang out.
everyone has different points of view, so there will always be discussions.
#12 - JTbo
Well, what I read from your comments to some issues, I would say that those are caused mostly because of limitations of input devices and lack of proper feedback. Also at some rate weird physics in rFactor, experience varies from mod to mod.

But I have mentioned this in other thread, if your steering wheel turns 2.5 turns from lock to lock (900 degrees), real cars have ~3-4 turns, my car has for example 4.8 turns, then you are still having ultra fast steering compared to real life car, also you are not getting any sideways pulling and you can use controls as you like even gears you can shift where it would not be possible in real car, then you have also very small screen compared to what is your real vision range.

With all these limitation you can forget about saying what feels real and what does not.

Now I have seen how some use even less steering lock and say something is too easy to catch, their argument is completely invalid, imo.

But still I like both games, for different reasons and I feel they both have something to offer, neither is for everyone, but one should drive what fits best for him.
#13 - axus
I can't say I agree with you on the point about "race cars being impossible to catch". I've done my fair share of research on the matter. Race cars are harder to drift than road cars? Yes. Impossible? Far from it. Why?

Racing tyres have generally stiffer sidewalls so they peak at lower slip angles. Therefore upto that point they gain grip really quickly. After that the curve levels off and it feels as if they have lost grip, where as they have merely stopped gaining grip.

On top of that, race cars run on racing rubber which is very heat sensetive compared to normal road tyres (different compounds, I know this from one Todd Wasson so I don't think I have the right to go into too much detail as he makes his living from this type of thing - not that he's passed on his infinte supplys of tyre wisdom to me ). Anyway, road tyres are hardly affected by temperature at all until they hit some insane temperature. Temperature effect is apparently exaggerated in LFS for road tyres a lot.

And then you also have aerodynamics. You'll find that most wings will lose a significant proportion of their downforce with the increase of yaw angle. I know very little on this matter though.

Lastly, the fact that race car drivers don't drift doesn't mean they can't - it's just slower than going around normally so they avoid it as much as possible. As you pointed out, there have been a number of incidents where F1 cars have recovered from notable slides.
Good post there aceracer.
As people already said, these kinds of threads always end up in flaming, because we are like that, praising our own horse, so to say .
But we could try and keep this thread without some hardcore fanboy comments.

Personally, with my experience with rFactor, i am not impressed by it's netcode, ok, maybe that's not the right word, maybe the netcode is good, but with the online experience i am not impressed at all.
As you probably know, rFactor doesn't have that good graphic suspension movement, so the cars around you look wierd, cartoonish, and doesn't get me immersed if you know what i mean.
Maybe rFactor can handle 3 times more players on the server than LFS, but that doesn't mean anything to me, if i don't get immersed in the race.
In LFS, although cars dissaper sometimes because of the lag, the whole experience is somehow real, and you can feel that the cars are there, you can feel that they are rigid, while in rFactor, it's like the cars are Holograms, you know, like you can go through them, they don't look real moving on the track, that's what i am trying to say.
Quote from aceracer :
Where do I see whtehr I'm in practice, which track I'm at, how many laps the race will be? I have no info screen in my pits! Or at least I haven't been able to find it
aceracer

F12 mate.If u wanna know track there is a litle trick: type /w pb. It will show u ur personal best and the track your on. ( this is when ur on track, not in box) so maybe telling u stuff u allrdy know

Damage can be seen pressing F10.

Good post.
I quite agree with most that's been said.. Simracing could have evolved better / faster as George said.. LFS gives you decent content; everything works, works pretty well and looks pretty well. With rFactor you get very poor physics at the best of times, and tracks that seem to be Sports Car GT conversions. There is a LOT... but also a lot of very low quality / buggy stuff. I am finding out that the ISI physics engine can be reasonable though, but not with any of the mods I've tried. And releasing a sim as a 'mod' platform with just TXT files and 300 variables to edit should be considered a crime..

Until there is a breakthrough sim, perhaps iRacing, I get my fixes with a mix of LFS / GPL and even rFactor..
i still don't have an rFactor license and just played the demo (allthough i am lately getting interested in the several nascar mods) i think drifting is possible in rF

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsBwAPoNSc
I just checked to see if Dale Earnhardt Juniors NASCAR Racing 2003 Website is indeed still there....

Turns out he has his own Online Sim Racing league :headbang:
#19 - JTbo
Quote from Fischfix :i still don't have an rFactor license and just played the demo (allthough i am lately getting interested in the several nascar mods) i think drifting is possible in rF

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsBwAPoNSc

Sure drifting is possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzatFthomaE

It is actually possible with default ZR car with M type engine and LSD to some degree, when you set steering to something that older wheels have, 270-290 degrees, it is then quite much what I believe ISI has aimed for.

There is lot of mis beliefs from ISI engine and lot of different views to this subject, I think I have found reasons to many different arguments, but I'm not going to repeat everything too many times, I just say keep minds open, learn and observe, what we first see is what really is final truth.

I did post to RSC more about online of these two and how I feel what is largest thing that has kept me away from rFactor online playing, it is difficult having two threads now, can't be bothered to copy all text here either, but hard to discuss in two forums, or maybe I'm just lazy old bugger.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Forums are for discussion, they tend to attract people with opposing views. If you don't like hearing people disagree then a forum is probably not the sort of place you should hang out.

Hey man, you usually post good stuff... which means that you know what I'm talking about... To disagree with one's idea is one thing... very different from critisizing the reason for the posting... stuff like "post this in your own blog! not on this discussion forum"... like teaching people what "discussion" means....

Funny to see this kind of thing when the longer thread on this section is on that moron who hacked the forum... plos... phloss... or something like that...

Argh!.. anyway.. .sry again.. just my frustration... as promised... back to read-only mode... Cheers
Hey don't mind me, post all you like, I don't care.

You're right in a way, but it's just that people misinterpret text quite often, it's harder to have a reasonable conversation with someone when it's not face-to-face.

That and the fact that some people are dickheads, but c'est la vie...
For me this is a good post thro. First I'd like to clarify myself I don't have rFactor, and only played LFS for around a month. I'm still new to LFS, but not games, especially simulation games.

I'll just take this post as a review for both games, but not a discussion for me, coz I know nothing more than u guys. However, personally I think that the most attractive point from rFactor is their mods, and what people can drive a real car in a real track, of which you can never experience this in LFS (at least at this moment or coming few years).

I've played racing games for years, TOCA, NFS, GT series(PS/PS2), much more that I can't remember. In the first time, I am addicted to LFS, but my DFP right a way to enjoy this simulator( personally I dun really treat it as a game ). I'm a racer in real life, kart-racing, and also tried formula, etc. I love racing, and what LFS can give me is the feeling. Nothing is perfect, so do LFS and rFactor. There are still much more rooms for them to improve, maybe in a slow way, but we will wait and see, won't we? Just because we all here love racing. Right?

Cheers.

keithano
Having played gtr2 online numerous times, I have to comment on LFS' joining to servers.

Example: You feel like having a race, load server list ok, notice there's a server with two free racer slots, click on it and join. Now, you're getting ready to start racing while in a mood that you could enjoy it a lot, "a player is disconnecting" what the... ok, another try. Click on ok first, then start joining again, loading track etc. "a player is connecting" !!! "#¤#"¤. Hit that green button really hard and try joining again, and hope a player isn't doing anything. "Server is full/a player is disconnecting/a player is connecting/a player is." and you're ready to summon demons and ritually sacrifice your pc.

Similar case to above happened to me 5 attempts in row with either player disconnecting or connecting and finally server full.

I never have had anything like that happen in any of the 50+ multiplayer games I have played or tried, so I think LFS is quite "special".
Quote from MauroDiaz :stuff like "post this in your own blog! not on this discussion forum"... like teaching people what "discussion" means....

You know that I only wrote this because the topic poster started this thread with "no I don't want to start the same old tired discussion again"?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hey don't mind me, post all you like, I don't care.

You're right in a way, but it's just that people misinterpret text quite often, it's harder to have a reasonable conversation with someone when it's not face-to-face.

That and the fact that some people are dickheads, but c'est la vie...

Fully agree!.... it's just that some people should understand that this community grows continuosly... which is desireable (isn't it?)... Every now and then new/unfrequent members will bring old topics... and discuss repetitive things.... That is when people that have been around for a while should not make them shy... If threads are not great or new.... ignore it!... if they talk plain crap, then burn them...

I am responsible for a making a lot of sim racing fans get to know lfs and buy it (here in Brazil, in Canada, in the US...) I also wish to invite them to the forums as well, you know... but I cannot do that when not even I (member for a few years) feel part of it... sometimes this community looks like a closed group that want to get rid of new people.... Not healthy at all in my opinion...

I will probably be blamed for posting off topic

Just wanted to state that I agree with you... and that people could be a little more relaxed... that was all...

See you

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG