The online racing simulator
#1 - Zyber
Do u all have 40 FPS max at a full grid?
Just trying to make a point here that maybe it isnt our hardware that is the problem to lfs running at max 40 fps on start with a full grid..

Would be nice if ppl could post hardware and fps at start with a full grid.. just to check if im right about this.. it looks like 40 is max nomatter how fast or slow pc u got

GFX: 7600 GT 256 mb
CPU: AMD 3200+
MEM: 3 GB

FPS: 30-40
GFX: 7600GT 256mb
CPU: AMD x2 4200+ (64bit)
MEM: 1GB DDR400 (Paired)

FPS: 100-115 (Full Grid Start)
AMD XP2600+
512Mb RAM
R9800 Pro

Approx. 25-30fps on the grid.

It's definitely down to CPU.
#4 - Zyber
omg how can that be.. gues i need a new cpu lol
Quote from Thorvertonian :GFX: 7600GT 256mb

Guess you don't have any AA or AF turned on because it does not matter how fast you cpu is you can not get that type of fps without turning off aa/af setting because i have all my gfx setting to the max even in the gfx control panel the setting are on full and i get about 60/90 fps with a full grid
64bit AthlonXP 3800+ (@2.41GHz)
XFX 7900GS Extreme
2Gb DDR2

I get about 50FPS on a full start grid, but then I also use a lot of high res texture mods and run 8xAA and 16xAF.
1280x1024 - without AA 110 min, with 8xAA 8xAF get 90 Min.....
#8 - Zyber
k it gotta be the cpu that limits it then.. i just didnt belive it was since my G15 reported that the cpu load was only 75%. gues i was wrong..

btw i do have 16x AF and 8x AA and turning it off doesnt increase my fps
#9 - Zyber
oh an since we are on it already.. how many would want AA implemented in lfs.. i sent a mail to the devs about wanting it ingame.. but if alot answered to it here aswell it will probably be a bigger chance for it to be implemented

EDIT

Ill just make a new topic on it..
#10 - Jakg
40 fps full grid, 120 when i get down to about 4 people, 4xAA, 16xAF

Lots 'o custom textures, AMD 3700 (@ 3 GHz, so think of it as an AMD 5000 ), 7950GT (overclocked), and 1 GB of ram (at that time with super-tight timings @ DDR522 speeds)
Around 40FPS w/ full grid here,

1280x1024x32, 8xAA, 16xAF, Max quality settings in NVIDIA controls, Max every single thing in LFS (no LOD reduction etc)

AMD X2 4200+
7900GTO 512MB
2GB RAM
7600GT

full grid about 40 with full AA - AF
Intel Core2Duo 6600 (2 x 2.4 GHz)
2048MB DDR2 RAM (800MHz)
512MB DDR3 GeForce 7900 GTO

1280x960x32 resolution/colour depth

All graphics options are on full (LFS and nVidia Control Panel) and I get minimum 60 FPS on a full grid. Once the race gets going the vertical sync clips the frame rate to a solid 75.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz
XFX Nvidia 7900GS 256mb
1GB ram.

a Good 40fps+ full 23 car grid
hmm i just tested lfs on my dads computer.. has a ATI x700 and a core2 duo doesnt look like its up tot the cpu.. had 30-40 fps there to when running a reply

as soon as cars disapered it went back up

I also tryed clocking my cpu from 2 ghz to 2.4 ghz.. didnt help me at all.. no change at all.. exept it started windows faster lol
oh and the 3 gb ram i have is pared aswell..

Quote from Thorvertonian :GFX: 7600GT 256mb

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Around 40FPS w/ full grid here,

1280x1024x32, 8xAA, 16xAF, Max quality settings in NVIDIA controls, Max every single thing in LFS (no LOD reduction etc)

AMD X2 4200+
7900GTO 512MB
2GB RAM

2 users above here has both the same gfx card and same cpu.. the guy with 2 gb ram gets 40+ fps the guy with 1 gb ram gets 100+ hows that possible

And alot of ppl here are reporting the fps i was affraid of.. 40 fps seems to be verry common..
I am on a notebook with:

c2d (7200 I think, 2GHz and 4MB Cache)
2GB RAM
GeForceGo7700 (512MB)

I run 2xAA and 8xAF and play on an external monitor with 1920x1200 pixels.

That gives me under 25 fps on a full grid, but since I primarily race the Raceabout, that doesn't happen very often .

And no, I don't think AA should be hardcoded into LFS. What's the point really? Thats what GFX card drivers are for IMO.

- ben
Athlon 35000+ 64 Bit (2.2ghz) 6800GT 256MB AGPX8 2 PC3200 DDR RAM FPS 35-40. With 8sAA Alone: 80FPS with 8sAA
Quote from benja-man :I am on a notebook with:

c2d (7200 I think, 2GHz and 4MB Cache)
2GB RAM
GeForceGo7700 (512MB)

I run 2xAA and 8xAF and play on an external monitor with 1920x1200 pixels.

That gives me under 25 fps on a full grid, but since I primarily race the Raceabout, that doesn't happen very often .

And no, I don't think AA should be hardcoded into LFS. What's the point really? Thats what GFX card drivers are for IMO.

- ben

i didnt meen it to be hard coded.. i ment to have the ability to turn it on in the game instead of doing it in windows.. i just belived alot of ppl wanted it since so many are using AA and AF in lfs
Quote from Zyber :i didnt meen it to be hard coded.. i ment to have the ability to turn it on in the game instead of doing it in windows.. i just belived alot of ppl wanted it since so many are using AA and AF in lfs

Oh yes, that would be convenient!
Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding these comparisons not really meaningful, as there are so many different parameters that affect fps. The only way to really get comparable results would be if everyone used the same settings (resolution, AA and AF etc.) and the same replay to test it. Personally I found the unofficial lfs-benchmark rather helpful to compare my systems performance to others.
Quote from Linsen :Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding these comparisons not really meaningful, as there are so many different parameters that affect fps. The only way to really get comparable results would be if everyone used the same settings (resolution, AA and AF etc.) and the same replay to test it. Personally I found the unofficial lfs-benchmark rather helpful to compare my systems performance to others.

I didnt know about that site.. thats a great site but thats not with a full grid.. so its pointless for me as it cant test what this tread is about.. i have alot of fps when im not on a full grid.. the problem is its verry low on a full grid.. and 40 fps seems verry common on a full grid no matter what hardware.. yes there is exeptions and it isnt the best way to compare it like this.. but my point was that it looks like maybe lfs is causing the 40 fps at a full grid.. maybe because the render loop cant execute before the psy is calculated and that makes the waiting longer if there is several cars.. i dont know how the devs made the render.. but its strange in my opinion that i get 40 fps max at a full grid in lfs and i dont get more fps if i turn off the AA AF only if im alone or there is less cars do i notice a difference.. and overclocking my cpu does not help ether.. same fps no matter what i do
#22 - Vain
...The fps depend on wether you start in the front or the rear of the grid, obviously. In the rear of the pack my system also hangs around the 40 fps:
Intel E6300, 1GB DDR-2 RAM, 7900 GS.

...One more reason to qualify well.

Vain
Quote from Vain :...The fps depend on wether you start in the front or the rear of the grid, obviously. In the rear of the pack my system also hangs around the 40 fps:
Intel E6300, 1GB DDR-2 RAM, 7900 GS.

...One more reason to qualify well.

Vain

ya i should have posted that u should start last.. its only affected by visible cars..
Yeah, I see what you mean. But how about taking the lfs-benchmark approach and applying it to your situation? Meaning: Post a couple of mpr's, each on a different track, with a full grid and state the max-settings used and the min-settings used (you could even post the corresponding cfg-files) as well as the car one should switch to. Everybody who wants to compare could then dl the mpr's and run them at the same settings (once on max, once on min). Than we'd have something to compare and see if those 40 fps which seem to be prevalent on the start are down to coincidence or in fact might be an LFS-inherent issue. The way I see it, it is very well possible that many people adjust their graphic settings to a level that just leads to those 40 fps accidentally.

Edit: This was to Zyber's post #21 of course.
I get a solid 60 FPS in literally every situation. If you watch my FPS counter, it bounces from 59-60 FPS so fast you can't read the numbers at all. I'm thinking it's because my refresh rate is 60, so that it's limited at 60FPS, despite the fact that the option in the menu is to limit it at 100FPS.

Either way, it's smooth as glass at literally all times, it never changes more than in that 1 FPS margin, and I have lots of high-res textures and maxed all the GFx settings with my card (ATI Radeon X1800 XT) It's real purdy

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG