The online racing simulator
Drm...
(13 posts, started )
Drm...
I received my copy of Richard Burns Rally in the mail today. To my surprise, the packaging was... let's say different from what I expected (more description later). It also says "Notice: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with hsome disc and virtual drives."

Does anybody know if my copy of RBR has any DRM software like Starforce in GTL and other such games.

I ask because my copy is from "Sold Out Software," a group that doesn't seem to associated with the game- but instead just a distributor of other games. The packaging looks like this: http://www.sold-out.co.uk/soldout/products/rbrally/packL.jpg

I don't mind DRM software, but you can't be too careful with it when companies like Starforce get reviews like this: "On January 30, 2006, Boing Boing, a popular weblog, labeled StarForce as malware, alleging several problems associated with the protection system, including disk drive performance degradation, weakening of operating system security and stability." (from wikipedia).

I couldn't find anything about them online and I just wanted someone's input before I went and installed it.

Thanks
I've played couple of Starforced games, zero problems so far. I'm strongly against DRMs and Trusted computing but that's OT.

Anyhoooooooo.

You have the greatest rally game ever to be created in your hands, so just install it and play it 'till you pass out.

Maybe we should revive our online RBR tournament too?

EDIT: Oh yeah, not sure if RBR has Starforce or other silly DRM shit on it but I think it merely asks for a CD-key during install.
Quote from spankmeyer :I've played couple of Starforced games, zero problems so far. I'm strongly against DRMs and Trusted computing but that's OT.

+1

Now, though, if I know a mutliformat starforced game (TRD3 for example), I get the PS2 version.
Diden't Starforce offer a (big?) sum of money to whoever could go to their HQ and show how SF messes with a computer and no one actually managed to get the money?
I'm maybe one of a few that doesn't mind SF or related protections.
Quote from seggons :Diden't Starforce offer a (big?) sum of money to whoever could go to their HQ and show how SF messes with a computer and no one actually managed to get the money?
I'm maybe one of a few that doesn't mind SF or related protections.

Well,that is maybe because if someone shown how SF screws up a computer,they would probably cover it up.

I ,on other hand,had to buy a new DVD burner after playing a StarScrewed game(GTR).(About how much GTR was crap that's another pair of shoes.)
I have the 'Sold Out Software' version, works fine and installed ok as well.

Great game i must add!

Matt
I dont think RBR even has any kind of cd check. No staforce or securom at least.

Quote :Diden't Starforce offer a (big?) sum of money to whoever could go to their HQ and show how SF messes with a computer and no one actually managed to get the money?

The rules were, if I remember right, that only problems that can be reproduced on any hardware setup are accepted. The problems SF causes are very hardware specific so it was just a rigged PR stunt. They even increased the prize money a week before the end of the "competition" to 10 000 dollars (before that it was 1000 I think), so they could say they offered 10 000.
i got it, same warning, sold out software. Worked 1st time for me.
#9 - buedi
RBR has a CD check. But I don´t know which System it uses. But the Developers removed the Check with the 1st Update. Just bring your RBR up to date and the CD Check is removed automatically and 100% legal
RBR isn't on the Starforce lists. I've certainly never had any trouble with it either.
It is not Starforce protected:

Quote :Game Title: Richard Burns Rally (DVD)
Game Version: 1.00
Game Producer: SCi
Region of Origin: Germany/ UK/ France
Copy Protection: SecuROM 5.03.06.0027

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=107464
Thanks for your responses!

I'm a bit reluctant to install it after seeing its copy protection service "SecuROM" received some bad reviews.

"While the use of SecuROM is not regarded as controversial as some other copy protection schemes, it has been known to cause problems. It installs a shell extension that, for example, prevents Windows Explorer from deleting 16-bit executables." -Wikipedia entry.
#13 - Vain
If all programs in the world used SecuROM I'd be a happy user.
Really, absolutely no problems with RBR or any other SecuROM related product.
Never even heard of problems with SecuROM.

Vain

Drm...
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG