The online racing simulator
**Read this before you buy Windows Vista**
(116 posts, started )
#26 - Gunn
I've worked within the IT industry for over ten years, mainly building and configuring PCs and Servers. One word of advice that I can confidently offer is: never use a Windows upgrade option, always start with a stand alone OS and a fresh install. Having said that, it is obvious that Vista seeks to monopolise computing for Microsoft and their co-conspirators in the entertainment industries. Using piracy as an excuse for these intrusive and limiting technologies is like saying that Iraq was invaded to find WMDs.
Of course, every office everywhere is going to have the same old knee-jerk reaction and upgrade to Vi$ta automatically because they think everyone else is going to (which they probably are) and they don't want to - god forbid - be left behind. Is it out of the realms of possibility that a significant number of workplaces/individuals will just say "hell no, XP's ok for the moment kthxbi" and boycott? Probably! *sigh* It's like whenever MS says "new" or "upgrade" every manager and his dog is jumping on the bandwagon, leaving their rational mind on the side of the road.

I believe I'll hang onto my ol' banger XP machine, even if it's just for playing LFS & GPL. Might even go back to my roots and get a Mac for the important stuff (they're much better for music anyway and that's what I care about). The McSoft empire can keep its Vi$ta shizzle. Come on Mozilla, where's your freakin' OS eh?
#28 - Gunn
I'm currently looking at VM Ware to run my PC with multi OS's for different tasks. XP is the best OS Microsoft have made to date and I won't be needing their "I'll tell you what products and features you will use on your PC and how you will use them, and what brands you will buy" attitude. I hope that the release of Vista will prompt more interest in Linux. I'm tired of Microsoft trying to tell me what I like and what I need. They have no idea.
#29 - SamH
It only feels like 2 minutes since I bought XP. I'm not ready to change yet, and I don't like the sound of the questionable behaviour of Vista or the provisos in the licence agreement at all. It's certainly not that I fear that Vista will catch me watching the odd downloaded movie, or ripped MP3.. but the mere suggestion that the OS is even looking at that kind of thing on my machine makes the OS I use my enemy rather than my friend. I don't like the Big Brother intrusion in any aspect of life, least of all in my own hardware.

Asta La Vista, upgrade.
Im on Vista now, and I must say... I actually quite like it.

Having said that I still dual boot to xp for all games/resource intense apps as they run properly and far better on xp.

For general dossing around windows though, Vista at least looks good :P
I think we'll probably see plenty of people using a dual boot in the near future - precisely because XP runs everything nice and clean and Vista looks pretty.

That's exactly what I've always liked about XP from the start - great for general tooling around and it doesn't kill my games and apps. If I want eye candy I'll fire up a game. Or visit one of those grownup websites.
#32 - arco
Quote from Christofire :I'd expect vista to be slower than XP - I'm sure that if you ran Win3.11 or MSDOS 6 on todays hardware they'd be much quicker, but you can't do as much stuff in them.

a little slower is one thing ... absolutely unuseable for professional apps something totally different

Quote from Hankstar :I think we'll probably see plenty of people using a dual boot in the near future - precisely because XP runs everything nice and clean and Vista looks pretty.

in that case they should get linux with beryl ... looks fancy without phoning home
hopefully vistas absent support for ogl will make a lot of people move to linux and force hardware manufacturers to finally support it properly

Quote :That's exactly what I've always liked about XP from the start - great for general tooling around and it doesn't kill my games and apps. If I want eye candy I'll fire up a game. Or visit one of those grownup websites.

2k already did everything xp does just a good ... the only advantage xp has over 2k is that its still fully supported (not so much anymore now that vista hit the shelves) and more than 16 colours for icons in the systray ... and thats about it
#34 - JTbo
It is not much that I require from my Linux, but it still is more than it can do, proper FFB support and 3dsmax, rFactor and LFS, are what I need. Some of these are possible with emulation, like LFS, but some at least seem to have problem like FFB support.

Would like to get N00bs guide to get LFS run with Kubunutu, though
#35 - FL!P
Quote from Hankstar :I think we'll probably see plenty of people using a dual boot in the near future - precisely because XP runs everything nice and clean and Vista looks pretty.

Well, I'm using dual boot on my Mac, because Mac OS X runs everything nice and clean (not to mention looking prettier than Vista or being way more secure), and XP runs LFS. :mischievo
3 words:

Trusted computing.Beware.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :once i get a new graphic card i wont use windows at all, linux ftw

What about LFS? Are you a mouser?
Quote from arco :BERYL!

More...

As much as I am for simplicity and speedy working, I do think that is very cool!

As much as I am for simplicity and speedy working, I do think that is very cool.
V - Virus, I - Intrusions, S - Spyware, T - Trojans, A -Adaware
Need I say more? Get Linux, all your problems solved!
Quote from jamesrowe :Get Linux, all your problems solved!

Even lack of Force Feedback with Linux, and FPS loss in LFS when ran with wine / cedega?
Quote from jamesrowe :V - Virus, I - Intrusions, S - Spyware, T - Trojans, A -Adaware
Need I say more? Get Linux, all your problems solved!

I bet if someone told them that when they were brainstorming for a new name, they would have avoided the name VISTA ... although i think what ever name they would have come up with people would always find something with it. Longhorn sounds better that Vista still...

mad
Quote from Madman_CZ :I bet if someone told them that when they were brainstorming for a new name, they would have avoided the name VISTA ... although i think what ever name they would have come up with people would always find something with it. Longhorn sounds better that Vista still...

mad

Yes Longhorn sounds better but still the name wont change the software! Which is full of Bloatware and so on

And yes you get loss of FPS and some lack of FFB, but Linux is much better if you wish to exclude most games!
I only play one game (take a guess what that is ), I have dual boot with Linux and XP on my laptop but I only ever go on xp to play LFS (Bugger I gave the guess away! )
I am thinking seriously about removing XP and have only linux on here, and IF i need windows il use VMWare, or network to another XP machine and share its graphics and sound to play LFS on it over network
Its been out a few days and it is already broken!!! Hahaha
Quote from jamesrowe :Its been out a few days and it is already broken!!! Hahaha

Erm..

1) The sooner they spot these flaws, the better it is, right? Softwares tend to include bugs, and softwares with millions of lines of code tend to include more bugs. No matter how much you test a software with restricted amount of testers, they can't be as effective as millions of users.
2) That's not really very critical flaw, because it requires actions from user. And how stupid you have to be if you won't suscpect the "FORMAT C:\ *" that someone is shouting through your speakers?

Most of this Vista bashing is really unnecessary and just makes me laugh. It's true that for most of us, at this point, Vista is quite useless and XP is better option, especially if you already own a license. But that doesn't make Vista a lousy OS. XP also had it's problems on the launch - and comparing to that, I think Vista will be more successful.

At least, as long as I am enforced to use Windows, just because I want to play LFS, I try to be objective.

P.S. Vista IS a better name than Longhorn.
Did nobody learn anything from the XP release? Am I the only one who remembers that the first release of SP2 could trash your entire install?

This is why I don't touch new OS's for a few months after release. Let some other muppet find the huge fatal bugs
#49 - JTbo
Quote from Dajmin :Did nobody learn anything from the XP release? Am I the only one who remembers that the first release of SP2 could trash your entire install?

This is why I don't touch new OS's for a few months after release. Let some other muppet find the huge fatal bugs

Oooo yesss, I remember, we did work like mads to get customer's business computers sorted as they had automatic updates on which messed their whole system.

We laughed to big maket computer department that decided to install SP2 right when it came out and what they got was that all cash registers become unusable and it took two days from them to get systems back up, that was not cheap experiment to do with live system, amateurs rofl.

Somehow our own integration of SP2 was completely flawless and transparent to our customers, I wonder why (yep, I'm bragging here)

Today majority seem to think old = bad, when in reality today it seems to be new = bad, well majority can't be wrong, right?
I'm running Vista Ultimate on my laptop (Basic GUI) and it's no worse than XP for what I do. I'm keeping XP on my media centre and games PC as I don't know if Vista will support my TV card, and FF doesn't work in Vista.

**Read this before you buy Windows Vista**
(116 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG