The online racing simulator
**Read this before you buy Windows Vista**
(116 posts, started )
As most of you have heard about Microsofts New Operating System "Windows Vista" I thought I would pass along some important info you might be interested in that should make you think before upgrading to vista.

Personally I would not get Vista if I had a choice at least not any time soon But because computers is my field I need to get Vista (which will be very soon) to test it out of its beta version so that I can properly support my clients and future clients or else I would not touch thing thing yet.

Take a look below

XP vs Vista
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista

Vista Upgrade Invalidates Your XP Key
http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/ ... validates-your-xp-key/74/

Vista's legal fine print raises red flags
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801
I've got no plans to upgrade to Vista. I'm buying a new PC this year so it will be an XP box (you'd have to be totally nuts to go with Vista in its first 12 months IMO) and I probably won't upgrade again for three or four years, at which time I'll probably evaluate Macs again.
once i get a new graphic card i wont use windows at all, linux ftw
as already said if u get it now be prepared for a lot problems.
just as it was with XP when it came out
#5 - Bean0
I'm leeching down Ubuntu Feisty as we speak
Yet another warning to those people "upgrading" to Vista.
Security Flaw #1
^^
"Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders."

Computers talking...
OMG!
Microshizzle wants to turn my PC into a snitch! We're doomed!
I had RC1 on my computer from September until yesterday. I wouldn't buy it for at least a year. As it is now there isn't enough support for it, peripheral-wise. My TV tuner didn't work (which is why I went back to XP), Logitech wheels have no FF, countless games won't run, and those that do run slower. It's just not ready for people outside of offices.
Quote from Hyperactive :^^
"Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders."

LOLOOLLOL that is hilarious!!! ahhahahah
Well, is it good for anything? I don't see any reason to buy it and after seeing couple serious links from this thread I wan't it even less. Microsoft has way too much control and power and really abuses that. Allowing access for deleting unwanted files? Knowing Microsoft they must have messed it up too. I'm against piracy but that's too much. And what worries me is that moving to Vista will be a must, and that's what they are going to do, force people to buy it. Obvious but AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH!!! Thank the Blackwood forest guru we have LFS and don't need Vista because it won't move to DX10 in ages...I hope.

/rantish post almost over

Oh yes, I won't buy Vista.
I've just been checking out websites as I have to order a laptop for a friend, nearly every website now sells laptops with Vista preinstalled, you cant get one with windows xp anymore. He doesnt want Vista and this thread make me want it even less. Cant believe how quickly people are forcing you to buy it, you should still have the choice to choose between Vista and XP.....

may microsoft and Bill Gates forever burn in hell!

arghghghg!

mad
So what is the truth about hardware changes? For a while there was talk about adding a graphics card or changing the mobo making your license invalid so you had no choice to buy Vista again?

I doubt it is that bad.. Lets hope sims will have their dx9 versions for a few years to come. I sort of get along with XP and it only cost me 18 euro for a legal xp pro UK upgrade, back when I was a student! That's cost effective OS
Quote :
In one scenario outlined by users an MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents.
Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

Microsoft: Yeah, someone could exploit our OS, but who would exploit a Microsoft product... pffft

Now, what is even more funny is that microsoft doesn't know how their own product works...
Quote :Microsoft has said that even if the machine was primed to accept voice commands it would be unlikely the user would not be in the room to hear the file with malicious instructions being played.

If the person has their speakers off, the sound still plays... and its not like people turn off their computers when they walk away for lunch lol
[/I]Bwahahahahahaha

No vista for me!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :So what is the truth about hardware changes? For a while there was talk about adding a graphics card or changing the mobo making your license invalid so you had no choice to buy Vista again?

Replacing your motherboard has always made your license invalid. Microsoft classes the motherboard as the computer, so a new mobo is a new computer to them. The only way you can get around it is if your motherboard dies.
With an XP disc can't you just install onto a new motherboard (interested because I've never had a non pre-installed OS since 98SE and because I'm planning a new computer/copy of XP)?
Quote from wheel4hummer :If the person has their speakers off, the sound still plays... and its not like people turn off their computers when they walk away for lunch lol

You're missing the point... the point is, an MP3 played through the speakers is picked up by the microphone. If your speakers are off, it doesn't matter if the sound plays, the microphone won't be able to pick it up.

That is, unless you somehow manage to set the audio input device to the "What U Hear" output.
Quote from bryanviper :Personally I would not get Vista if I had a choice at least not any time soon But because computers is my field I need to get Vista (which will be very soon) to test it out of its beta version so that I can properly support my clients and future clients or else I would not touch thing thing yet.

Take a look below

XP vs Vista
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista

Vista Upgrade Invalidates Your XP Key
http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/ ... validates-your-xp-key/74/

Vista's legal fine print raises red flags
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

I'd expect vista to be slower than XP - I'm sure that if you ran Win3.11 or MSDOS 6 on todays hardware they'd be much quicker, but you can't do as much stuff in them.

Also, I don't see the problem with the second article. You're trading in your XP for the upgrade to Vista. You're not paying the full price as you're effectively selling back your XP licence. It's like being surprised that the car dealer won't let you drive your old car away with your new car after you traded up.

As for the last article, it's up to you if you trust them. I can see why MS want to have tight control over their software - the lost revenue to illegal copies of Windows must be huge, so why shouldn't they try to make it harder to copy their stuff? In another way, the music co.s again are trying to make money by selling stuff. Why wouldn't they try to protect their efforts? If you were in their place, would you not do the same?

That said, I don't agree with it either. I want to buy something and then have it as mine. I don't want an outside interfering source that might disable my OS. We do now have choice though. If you're not happy with the way vista looks or costs then try a linux distribution.

It may be harder, it may be a bit more effort, but the more people that use it the more drive there will be to make things easier and get more mainstream programs on there.
I was really looking forward to Vista.
But alarm bells are ringing, very, very loudly.

I wont upgrade to Vista. If "Microshizzle" know its has huge errors..why release it??
Quote from Christofire :I'd expect vista to be slower than XP - I'm sure that if you ran Win3.11 or MSDOS 6 on todays hardware they'd be much quicker, but you can't do as much stuff in them.

You're missing the point, Vista does nothing that I (or a lot of people here) want that XP doesn't already do much faster, if I wanted the fancy effects I'd download them for XP, already have tried loads of those kind of things and never found one that I've liked.

Quote :
Also, I don't see the problem with the second article. You're trading in your XP for the upgrade to Vista. You're not paying the full price as you're effectively selling back your XP licence. It's like being surprised that the car dealer won't let you drive your old car away with your new car after you traded up.

Again you're missing the point, an OS is not like a car. There will inevitably be huge compatibility issues and many users will wish to legally dual boot with their existing XP copy for things Vista can't do. Also there is no way back for people who find they don't want to use Vista, and if the speed drops are true I think that a lot of people will want to go back pretty quickly.
What is this Vista you speak of? Oh, was it that OS i got tired hearing about 2 years ago, and that's nothing more than MS way of saying to the gaming industry: "Hey, look we can spend years doing nothing, and then release a expansion that in reality changes nothing"
Vista's pathetic, and MS knows it.
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :What is this Vista you speak of? Oh, was it that OS i got tired hearing about 2 years ago, and that's nothing more than MS way of saying to the gaming industry: "Hey, look we can spend years doing nothing, and then release a expansion that in reality changes nothing"
Vista's pathetic, and MS knows it.

Sadly M$ has a monopoly on the OS market so there's really nothing that can be done about it. I don't think the US has such stringent competition laws (if any), however, with any luck M$ won't get away with making everything so incompatible in the future.
Here's a great story, a friend bought Vista Ultra, installed it and after a great deal of trouble(wouldn't recognise his mic for one) went on Windows Update and guess what? 70mb of updates, that's what! That's two days after its public release! For God's sake!
#24 - JTbo
Quote from Doorman :Here's a great story, a friend bought Vista Ultra, installed it and after a great deal of trouble(wouldn't recognise his mic for one) went on Windows Update and guess what? 70mb of updates, that's what! That's two days after its public release! For God's sake!

And I think that 70MB is size where whole windows would fit and still it would be enough for most of users if there would be at least some optimization
Quote from Doorman :Here's a great story, a friend bought Vista Ultra, installed it and after a great deal of trouble(wouldn't recognise his mic for one) went on Windows Update and guess what? 70mb of updates, that's what! That's two days after its public release! For God's sake!

Oh, and if you want it in your own language it's a hefty 600MB to download/install. I stripped the Vista-disc for unnecessary fat, and came out at about 700MB, i DON'T want the laguage files to take up almost as much space as the OS :P

(116 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG