The online racing simulator
Variable / varying FFB
(7 posts, started )
#1 - Ian.H
Variable / varying FFB
Hi all..

Don't know how easy / feasible it'd be to code, but was thinking just now while trying to adjust my FFB settings that whether the car's stationary or doing 100mph, the force required to turn the wheel appears to be the same.. this hasn't been so for 99% of car's I've driven (with exception of BMWs which have the most appallingly light / sloppy power-steering system I've unfortunately encountered).

LFS has great feeling and reactions with FFB when the likes of having the wheel locked to one side and then driving off.. the wheels straighten as they do in a real car, but would be great to have some varying forces depending on speed / friction. A similar feel is present with torque steer in the FWD cars IIRC, but I rarely drive shopping cars

Regards,

Ian
Hmm, in the fox for me at least, the fast im going the harder it is to turn the steering wheel.... if you're using a dfp try setting ffb to 101% in the drivers
The FFB is calculated directly from the forces working on the suspension. So the FFB behaviour is related to the suspension geometry and the way the tyres work (or the way they are coded in LFS).
Changing that would be artificial and not realistic.
#4 - Woz
You will probably find this is caused by the normal low speed physics issue that effects most sims. The FF feels good to me at speed so it might be that the low speed does not provide the extra loading to the wheel that occurs when the wheels are not rolling?

That said, now the Mini has gone and I have a normal commute car with PS I dont notice that much difference between the steering feel at any speed.
#5 - Ian.H
hmm, the faster you go the easier it should be

Frank.. I know it's all done through geometry, which is great, but when a car is stationary, the force required to turn the wheel is always greater than if the wheel is rolling as the tyre wants to "tear" across the ground whereas when it's rolling, there's less friction / "grip" involved making it easier. I'm not looking for any canned effects though.

I'm no tyre guru and don't know anything of coefficients and the likes.. just know that there's a difference between the 2 states (I'm comparing to real cars not anything in other games or whatever)... much the same as having 10psi and 50psi in the tyres.. the wheel would turn much easier with 50psi for the same reason

EDIT: That could be a reason Woz and would make sense (I'm not sure at what end it's "missing".. slow or fast, just know they feel about the same).

I guess it depends on how powered the power steering is. As mentioned, BMWs are horrible (don't actually like anything about BMWs except they're RWD) as the steering is so light you can drive them with your little finger, but other cars I've felt a fair difference at speed to stationary / very slow.

That said, most of the cars I've driven tend to be older cars (ie: not built within the last 10 years) so maybe things have changed.. but if so, would be good to then vary it further on a per-car basis if it was possible.. the likes of the XRT I would expect to have a heavier overall steering feel than say, the FZ50.

Regards,

Ian
I hope that none of the cars in LFS ever have PAS. It would ruin the feel of the cars because we rely on the feedback in LFS much more than we do in real life.

I like PAS on some cars but in a computer racing sim where we have no G-effects, I think it is ESSENTIAL to feel the forces of the steering.
#7 - bbman
Quote from fragile_dog :Hmm, in the fox for me at least, the fast im going the harder it is to turn the steering wheel.... if you're using a dfp try setting ffb to 101% in the drivers

Yes, you're referring to the downforced cars, whereas Ian is most certainly referring to the non-downforced cars...

I can't really tell... That said, I never really focused on whether there is a change in FF with speed...

Variable / varying FFB
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG