The online racing simulator
Metallic paint (challenging...)
(13 posts, started )
Hi,
before you start welcoming me, can I just say I'm not new, I just took a new username when I got my S2 license (was frabenfe1 before).

Anyway, this is what I was thinking about:
(see attachment)
I know it won't look so good to have static reflections, but I'd like to see it anyway, with a clear difference between the bright part and the dark one. I was thinking dark blue, orange or green (like the pics from a crappy game I've tried ) on XRT or FXO or FZ5.
Since this is not just one skin and it really is a matter of finding the best result, I'd say more than one people could have a try if they can.
I can give you more pics if you need them to take those reflections from.
Thanks to all!
Attached images
20070130181709.jpg
New Picture (1).bmp
New Picture (2).bmp
Hi
Cant be done bacause we cant set the skin material
You want a skin paint job that mimics the reflections of metallic paint but they will remain static. You can get an approximation, I'vve tried a lot of things over the years to do this but in the end it just looks bogus, like stick-on headlight textures on teh XR cars Best to concentrate on paint jobs that work well, and not on areas where there are such limitations.
Sure, a colour can be given a metal-flake effect, you can brighten edges and add highlights, you can try blending coloours for a chameleon-effect but they never really end up looking much good as the textures are static. they need to be dynamic to look convincing. For instance, take the blue car above, paste the pic on a skin, it will just look like a light blue panel on a dark blue skin. you will lose the essence of the metallic paint; it's reflectivity.
yeah I know it won't look great (mind you, I quite like fake headlights on XR cars...) , but maybe a good job would be fine..... at least when I've finished a race and I'm standing still..... :weeping:
I'm not a lover of those colourful racing liveries full of stickers, and I don't really like plain cars in LFS, so I think this would be ok for me even if it looked fake. At least they would be more variegated than plain cars.

EDIT: this is what I came up with, and that's ME with PAINT so you could do so much better.... (I'm not sure about the fake Beemer-thing though... )
Attached images
untitled1.jpg
so, can anybody give it a try?
all right men, looks like I'm on my own with this one; btw this is my results (may need some final touches) with a metallic green FXO . bye
Attached images
untitled2.jpg
if you check in the finished skins thread (id link but I'm on my phone) for the XF you can see my attept at it, and let me know what you think and I could give it a shot.
Yeah nice, I thought about using an effect like that, like having many lighter/darker dots, but I focused on reflection in the end. Nice one.
that isnt Bumpers DB9 from Racer any chance?

I Also think LFS Should have some shader support, to give the cars textures a better look and feel.
i made these ,the Grey xfg with a structure the others with blending layers if i remember correctly
Attached images
metalic.jpg
cool=)
can any one post some of those metallic skin?
Quote from swingkid :i made these ,the Grey xfg with a structure the others with blending layers if i remember correctly

looks like somebody got into the glitter bucket!

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG